NFL Approach: Winning Only Thing That Matters

At 17-3, Kirk felt that was plenty good chance to win with his defense against the team they were playing. It's not like they were not trying on offense, and if they hadn't gone backwards on first down several times, it would have been a little different. But at that point, they were not going to throw on first down, and risk an incompletion or INT. The clock was Iowa's friend, and running on first down means it moves...of course, PSU made some adjustments and did a good job. Had PSU scored a TD, then Iowa would have altered it's thought process. They didn't, so they didn't

Jon, I'm not suggesting that Iowa wasn't trying on ofense nor am I arguing the approach. My only point of contention is the fine line of risk. To me, even with this stellar defense, it is a greater risk to go so conservative so early vs a quality team, than it is to roll with momentum for another score behind...A. a 5th year qb B. experienced wr's C. a pretty good line and D. A rb that does not turn it over. Our special teams have not been overly special lately but our offense has been very effective when they are playing past page 8 of the playbook.

Not a knock on Kirk's approach, just a varying opinion of where the line of risk vs reward lies.

Points allowed per game by Iowa in Big 10 games in...

2009: 16.13
2008: 16.25
2004: 15.63
2002: 16.25

Based on those numbers - in a number of games the opposition scored more than 17 points against Iowa - a good reason to maybe think that 17 points on the board is not enough to secure a win.

Still I'm not gonna second guess KF's second half plan. Gotta consider the opposition and where Iowa's offense is right now. We're decent, improving, but not near as accomplished, proficient and confident as we will be in 2-3 weeks from now.

Style points might not matter as much for a team like Iowa due to conference tie-ins etc., but for say Boise St, they must win all their games by 50 to not drop in the polls.

I think there may be a situation of a lot of 11-1 teams this year due to it not being likely that many aq bcs teams finish undefeated this year other than Alabama.

And Iowa would be very fortunate to be one of them. I'll sign up for 11-1 with zero style points, having to block 2 last second chip shot FGs in every victory & buy my tickets to the Rose Bowl.

I didn't watch as much college football on a national scale until I got to high school, so I may be wrong here. But you could probably argue that for 2003 as well, when Oklahoma got it over USC. Oklahoma had no business playing in that game.

And any year where you have more than two undefeated teams (see: Cincy, TCU, BSU, 'Bama, and Texas last year), it comes down to SOS and style points. And Miami, as I understand it, should have been in the NCG in 2000 instead of Florida State, but I don't know if that really came down to style points or not.

It comes down to SOS far more than style points.

Michigan outscored us in the second half last year and had a horrible pass that if thrown well would have put them in FG territory to win the game. This year their defense is worse but their offense is wayyy better. The last thing I would want is to give up a second half lead. If we have any mo in the big house and lose it, I doubt we can get it back...

And Iowa would be very fortunate to be one of them. I'll sign up for 11-1 with zero style points, having to block 2 last second chip shot FGs in every victory & buy my tickets to the Rose Bowl.

I'd love a Rose Bowl berth, but I would definitely prefer to get there without leaving anything on the table. If we have to block 2 FG's at the end of every game because it was an evenly matched game, that's fine by me. But when we have a chance to put the last nail in the coffin and don't do it, it gets frustrating at times. Especially so if we were 11-1 and could have jumped somebody by scoring even just one more TD a game. That's not running up the score by any means.