Next Year's Team - bye week boredom

ICAlumni

During the bye week while we all try to waste time, i'm thinking about next year's team. There will obviously be a drop off - no way there can't be when you lose Stanzi, Clayborn, etc... but they really should be quite good. Barring early departures... and the only 2 people that I think would consider it would be Sash and McNutt. That being said, I don't think either one leaves.

On paper, we look pretty good. Our schedule will be tough... but this team will be quite talented.

OFF:
QB - Vandy
RB - ARob, Hampton, Coker
FB - Rodgers
WR - McNutt
WR- Davis
TE(s) - Herman/CJF
OL - Reiff
OL - Gettis?
OL - Ferentz
OL - McMillan
OL - Zusevics

DEF:
DE - Binns
DL - Daniels
DL - Nardo/Forgy?
DE - Daniel
LB - Nielsen
LB - Morris/Davis
LB - Kirksey/DiBona?
CB - Prater
CB - Hyde
S - Sash
S - Miller/Swanson

K: Meyer

That's a pretty solid team if you ask me.

Let's assume Jordan Bernstine stays healthy (and stays at safety)...anybody think he starts opposite Sash in game 1 in 2011?

And let me be the first for 2011 to say "Oh noez...we haz 2 many running backz!!11!"

:)

Let's assume Jordan Bernstine stays healthy (and stays at safety)...anybody think he starts opposite Sash in game 1 in 2011?

And let me be the first for 2011 to say "Oh noez...we haz 2 many running backz!!11!"

:)

IFFF he stays healthy, then yes he will start. AND yes there is a log jam at running back. How are we gonna get that may running backs carries. (This is sarcasm.)

The 2011 team, on paper, can be good. However, we'll have the new conference schedule to contend with, including a Michigan team that seems to be on the rise (and let's be honest, how many years can a team like Michigan really be down, anyway).

I like the possibilities on offense as long as the game plan is not constipated. Defense... I think we take some lumps early in the year.

I'd consider maybe penciling in Carl Davis at DT instead of Nardo. From what I hear, he's ENORMOUS and if he can get his technique down and learn to play with more leverage could be a menace in the middle.

I'm also interested to see where some of the true freshmen end up. I wouldn't be shocked if we found a place for Melvin Gordon on offense.

Starting lineup looks pretty decent. Whereas some injuries can be absorbed this year (QB, WR, DL), not so sure about that next year. It will be interesting to see who fills out the two deeps.

I like the possibilities on offense as long as the game plan is not constipated. Defense... I think we take some lumps early in the year.

I totally understand what your saying but I really think with how they are coached and how I think our D is deep. I think that our defense will be really good. You could say they might be slow at the start but when you start off with Tennessee Tech then Ia State I think that will be enough time for them to gel before Pitt.

September 3Tennessee Tech10at Iowa State (Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series)17Pittsburgh24Louisiana-Monroe October September 3Tennessee Tech10at Iowa State (Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series)17Pittsburgh24Louisiana-Monroe October

I don't see how people can say that defense will be bad.
The D-line will be really solid. Binns and Daniels are studs... Daniel is on the rise.
The LBs will be really good - Nielsen is a stud already and will be all Big 10 next year.
Morris is going to be great. Kirksey is getting a lot of talk from the coaches.
The secondary... goes without saying it will be really solid - Sash, Prater, Hyde... enough said.

I think the D will be just fine.

Depending on how Vandy pans out... the O can be great too.
We know that the line will be really solid. RB and WR should be pretty good too.
QB and TE and FB may take some time to get sorted out.

I like our chances.
It's actually the year after next that i'm really worried about.

The D-line will be really solid. Binns and Daniels are studs... Daniel is on the rise.
The LBs will be really good - Nielsen is a stud already and will be all Big 10 next year.
The secondary... goes without saying it will be really solid - Sash, Prater, Hyde... enough said.

We know that the line will be really solid. RB and WR should be pretty good too.

I like our chances.

Yes I think also that next year is not in question as much as the year after that but like many things only time will tell.

I like our chances.

I was with you up until the last line! Next year, TE and FB will be fine. We have CJ at TE and about 92 other recruits who are coming in as true freshmen. Zach Derby will be fine there as well. I like what little we've seen out of rogers at FB too. He'll be just fine. QB is more like an embarrassment of riches than a question mark. We have JVB who I think will be a solid QB for us, we also have Wienke who the coaches are pretty high on. We have AJ Derby who could be an absolute game changer if he can get his passing tightened up, and we have Jake Rudock coming behind him that will be an extremely accurate passer if he plays like he's been playing so far in HS.

Year after next has me REALLY excited. Especially on offense. By that point, JVB will be a senior and could be a killer QB. If not, we have the aforementioned Rudock and Derby who will be jumping at the chance to play early. We'll have a boatload of talent at RB, with seniors Adam Robinson and Jewel Hampton, Juniors Marcus Coker and Anthony Hitchens, and redshirt freshman Melvin Gordon (and it's looking like Darrian Miller too). Combine that with the studs we'll have on the OL (both the young guys we have now and incoming guys like Donnal, Walsh, and Blythe) and we should be able to run a dive every play for 6 yards minimum. Our receivers should be really good too, as KD will be a senior and Kevonte Martin-Manley will be the #2. He was a really impressive prep stud. We may also have Damiere Byrd, the fastest receiver recruit in the country. He LOVED his visit on Saturday and it's between us, South Carolina, and Ole Miss. I already mentioned the guys we have a TE as well.

Defensively, we have a bunch of guys who are projects that should flourish under Doyle and Coach K (Carl Davis, John Raymon, Riley McMinn, Ferguson, Donavan Johnson). With that much size and raw ability, I'd be shocked if less than two of those guys wind up being KILLERS on the DL. At LB, we'll have Morris in the middle, who's already becoming a star, Kirksey on one end and a spot to fill on the other. Not sure who will step up, but I can't remember the last time we had bad or even average LBs. Our DBs should be good too, since Hyde will be a senior at that point. The coaches are high on BJ Lowery and Willie Lowe as well. I think Tanner Miller will wind up being a really good safety for us too. Again, a couple question marks and spots to fill, and a few guys who will need to learn to play their positions and develop a lot physically, but the potential is there.

I worry a lot more about next year than 2 years from now.

2011 Schedule

Tenn. Tech
@ ISU
Pitt
Louisana-Monroe
Bye (Oct. 1)
@ PSU
NW
IU
@ Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
@ Purdue
@ Nebraska

The non-conference games will do a good job of preparing the team for conference play. A couple of cupcakes at home, a tough rivalry game on the road and good game at home against a quality BCS opponent.

I'm not going to W/L the schedule right now but on paper it looks like maybe 8-4/9-3 type of year. We shall see......the starters for next year look pretty good but as we see this year depth may be an issue.

Well this may be a hated comment but there is no reason why Iowa could run the table with the next two seasons. I know I know but we had NC talk this yr and when we lost to AU everyone acted like it would never happen again. Look at the schedule and see for yourself it is possible for the next two years. We have a good shot in the next two years.

Tenn. Tech - W
@ ISU - W
Pitt - W
Louisana-Monroe - W
@ PSU - L
NW - W
IU - W
@ Minnesota - W
Michigan - L
Michigan State - W
@ Purdue - W
@ Nebraska - L