Next year's Offensive MO: look to Wisconsin

BSpringsteen

Next year we will have a much improved offensive line and four running backs competing for time in ARob, Hampton, Coker and DJohnson.

We will also have a QB who may not have the moxie to win games on his own but has shown at the very least to be gutsy and be able to throw the ball accurately.

Wisconsin managed to roll to the Rose Bowl by properly utilizing a three headed monster at running back, and only using Tolzein to keep the D honest. Tolzein as a result is the Unitas Award winner.

We'll have a great WR returning in McNutt and two TE's that should probably be on the field at the same time.

The offense that UW utilized this season should serve as a guide for next year.

Next year we will have a much improved offensive line and four running backs competing for time in ARob, Hampton, Coker and DJohnson.

We will also have a QB who may not have the moxie to win games on his own but has shown at the very least to be gutsy and be able to throw the ball accurately.

Wisconsin managed to roll to the Rose Bowl by properly utilizing a three headed monster at running back, and only using Tolzein to keep the D honest. Tolzein as a result is the Unitas Award winner.

We'll have a great WR returning in McNutt and two TE's that should probably be on the field at the same time.

The offense that UW utilized this season should serve as a guide for next year.

While our offensive line will be good to very good, it will be nowhere near the level that Wisky's O-line was this year.

That may have been the best o-line in the conference in the last decade at least.

While our offensive line will be good to very good, it will be nowhere near the level that Wisky's O-line was this year.

That may have been the best o-line in the conference in the last decade at least.

The last decade huh? I seem to remember a team in the early part of the decade that had a 2nd, 33, & 50 overall picks in the NFL draft. (for those who don't understand the draft, that's middle second round or better) They also had a player chosen in the 5th round.

If only I could remember what team that was...:cool:

It seems like anytime we go into a season expecting something to be a strength, it turns out to be a weakness. We all expect great things now from the OL, so that probably means we'll have a season ending injury.

We had great hopes for the RBs this year, and we were limited to ONE. We had great WR, and yet we seemed to keep them bottled up.

WI is truly the great OL school of the big10. I'm not sure why IA doesn't go for bigger guys like WI. I guess maybe because we run a zone blocking scheme?

I definitley think IA should pound on the ground next year. JVB has not shown much, minus a few nice passes against OSU (and 3 picks).

What would have been great this year is to get JVB more playing time. Instead we stopped with the offensive production in the 3rd Q and left our starters in to run off tackle plays.

Wisconsin's season this year is basically a mirror image of Iowa's 2002 season. A decent (not great) previous season with several close losses that set the tone for the next year, an early season loss, a couple of very close wins, and then domination down the stretch. I would say their OL this year was right on par with ours in 2002. Of course, instead of playing Washington State in the Rose Bowl in '02, we had to play USC in the Orange Bowl . . . that still ticks me off. We would have easily beat WSU that year.

Anyway, the point of this being, I just don't see us fielding that type of team next year. I guess you never know what will happen because if we learned anything this year, the win/loss line in CFB is pretty thin.

Next year's offense will be improved for both run and pass. We'll stay balanced, and be good on both run/pass and way better on 3rd down. JVB will have show us a high level of proficiency from the quarterbacking position - great reads, great stats, esp. the w-l one. Guarantee we will score alot more points.

Latest posts