Next year's Hawks

Iowa State can beat the Hawks next year? Really?
With who? Jerome Tiller?! Please.
Have you seen what they lose? The problem with ISU is they aren't very good this year and it's the most talent they've had in ages and nearly ALL of it graduates.

Arnaud, A-Rob, Colin Franklin, Jake Williams, Sims, Rashawn Parker, Lamaak, Smith all gone

Good luck with that and now you play EVERY B12 team... you don't miss some of the big boys each year.

I'm one who has no problem giving ISU it's due respect. However, all that said, even though the game will be @ Jack Trice ... I have trouble seeing Iowa State beat the Hawks. It very well could end up (and probably will end up) being a tough, close game ... however, the Iowa O looks to be VERY strong in 2011 whereas the ISU D will be replacing pretty much ALL their depth at safety ... and that's in addition to also losing Parker and Johnson.

I do anticipate that ISU will be better against the run in 2011 ... Lattimer seems to have been "taking off" at DE, Dutch is having a good year, and McDonough has the chops to be a future star. Furthermore, they have a pretty talented JUCO guy in Nelson who will be eligible to play in 2011 ... and besides, while undersized, Neal is a veteran guy who isn't that bad. Furthermore, Klein and Knott will continue to play the LB spots at a high level.

The problem for the ISU D, as I see it, will be due to 2 primary mismatches:

1. In my estimation, the Iowa OL will be transitioning to "domination" mode. They've been getting their feet wet in '10 ... and they will likely be a good bit better in '11. Thus, even given the fact that ISU's DL will likely be BETTER ... that will most likely be offset by the fact that Iowa's OL will be that much better.

2. To my knowledge ISU is losing all their top safeties. That invariably leads to some sort of trade-off ... either in coverage or in run-support. Considering the quality of Iowa's TEs and the fact that Iowa's RBs are VERY capable of catching the ball out of the backfield ... the ISU LBs and safeties will be contending with significant mismatches.

I'm one who has no problem giving ISU it's due respect. However, all that said, even though the game will be @ Jack Trice ... I have trouble seeing Iowa State beat the Hawks. It very well could end up (and probably will end up) being a tough, close game ... however, the Iowa O looks to be VERY strong in 2011 whereas the ISU D will be replacing pretty much ALL their depth at safety ... and that's in addition to also losing Parker and Johnson.

I do anticipate that ISU will be better against the run in 2011 ... Lattimer seems to have been "taking off" at DE, Dutch is having a good year, and McDonough has the chops to be a future star. Furthermore, they have a pretty talented JUCO guy in Nelson who will be eligible to play in 2011 ... and besides, while undersized, Neal is a veteran guy who isn't that bad. Furthermore, Klein and Knott will continue to play the LB spots at a high level.

The problem for the ISU D, as I see it, will be due to 2 primary mismatches:

1. In my estimation, the Iowa OL will be transitioning to "domination" mode. They've been getting their feet wet in '10 ... and they will likely be a good bit better in '11. Thus, even given the fact that ISU's DL will likely be BETTER ... that will most likely be offset by the fact that Iowa's OL will be that much better.

2. To my knowledge ISU is losing all their top safeties. That invariably leads to some sort of trade-off ... either in coverage or in run-support. Considering the quality of Iowa's TEs and the fact that Iowa's RBs are VERY capable of catching the ball out of the backfield ... the ISU LBs and safeties will be contending with significant mismatches.

Next year will be year 3 under Rhoads. I still don't think he has all the pieces he needs but he's getting there. I think they make some decent strides next season however not by game two. I think our returning OL and running backs combined with JVB's experience in the Horseshoe will overmatch their D. Our D will be a little more patchwork but I haven't seen anything from Tiller yet that strikes fear into me. Being in Ames that always scares me a little however I think we win by 10 or so.

I would put us at 4-0 at the beginning of the Big Ten season at 90%. From there we will have a chance to win every game, that is why I see us winning at least 10 games. Does anyone really think next is year is a rebuilding year? We will reload and win immediately.

I would put us at 4-0 at the beginning of the Big Ten season at 90%. From there we will have a chance to win every game, that is why I see us winning at least 10 games. Does anyone really think next is year is a rebuilding year? We will reload and win immediately.
We lose our starter at the most critical position, QB, and I have to believe there will be some drop-off.

We lose the all-time leading WR and 2 others who have a fair amount of playing time. And although I think it would be a bad move for him, you cannot rule out the possibility of McNutt leaving early.

We lose our only FB with any meaningful playing time at that position.

We lose 3 starters from the d-line. Although I think the new guys will be good, 2 of the 3 we lose will be high NFL draft choices. There will be a drop-off.

We lose our punter.

We may lose Norm.

At some point, our younger coaches may be approached by other schools and the NFL offering upgraded positions. It would not be totally shocking if Campbell or Kaczenski were approached.

For these reasons, it's reasonable to call next year a rebuilding year.

OL - The line will be very good next year
TE - We reload every year
WR - We will miss DJK but we have good depth
QB - Stanzi has been great, but Vandenberg has a strong arm and experience
RB - We will once again have depth and experience
Kicker - Mike Meyer has this spot locked down for the next three years

DL - We will see a lot of new faces next year, graduation hits this group hard
LB - This group will be better next year, healthy and experienced
CB - We don't lose anyone and these guys will continue to improve
S - As long as Sash returns this will continue to be a strength
P - We will miss Donahue not only for his strong leg, but also his ability to pin the ball inside the 10 yard line.

Next year predictions
Tennessee Tech
@ Iowa State
Pittsburg
Louisiana Monroe
@ Penn State
Northwestern
Indiana
@ Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
@ Purdue
@ Nebraska

I like our chances to compete in every game, I see at least 10 wins next year.
let me get this straight, Iowa loses your veteran QB who is a proven winner, your all-time best WR, 3/4 of the best DL Iowa has ever had, starting safety and a great punter and you expect at least 10 wins? Hahahaha, nothing like ridiculous expectations.

In 2008, Ricky did not have to beat teams (generally) because we had a strong running game with Shonn Greene. I am curious to see how our running attack unfolds next year. I think our offensive will live or die by the run, and Vandy will not be asked to take the team on his shoulders. If our runners go down, or are ineffective, I really like Vandy but don't know that I have seen enough from him to feel as confident as a lot of fans I know. He will benefit greatly from workouts with the ones, though, that's for sure.

let me get this straight, Iowa loses your veteran QB who is a proven winner, your all-time best WR, 3/4 of the best DL Iowa has ever had, starting safety and a great punter and you expect at least 10 wins? Hahahaha, nothing like ridiculous expectations.

Yes Fufred. Many Hawkeye fans have crazy expectations. To expect Iowa to win 10 games next year is definitely out there but it is not totally crazy to think that it can happen. Next years team could win anywhere from 7-10 games.

As for ridiculous expectations, the fan base of THE Ohio State University has the most crazy expectations of any fan base in the country. If you guys don't win the national championship every single year, you are calling for Tressel's job. Oh Yeah, I forgot. It is ok for the OSU to have 12-0 expectations every single year.

Ohio State knows first-hand how good Iowa's backup QB is.

Iowa's 2010 DL is excellent ... however, the jury is out concerning whether they really comprise a "best ever" Iowa DL.

Besides, a D is comprised of 11 guys ... not just 4. And, for all intents and purposes, the Iowa DL returns 2 starters to the DL in 2011. That's one of the nice flip-sides of effectively having 5 starters on the DL.

Thus, considering that Iowa will be returning 7 starters on the D ... plus a number of other guys who have starting experience, I don't think that it's a stretch to believe that Iowa's D should have a pretty good shot of being good.

And, while DJK has had a great statistical career at Iowa ... it's also taken him being a 4-year starter to get there. Furthermore, he really didn't have a true "breakout" season until his SR campaign. It's great that he at least matured some before the very end of his career.

Given the improvements that Iowa's WR corps have made since Soup Campbell took over the WRs ... and given his experience grooming 1000+ yard WRs ... I really wouldn't be shocked if Iowa ends up featuring a WR who ends up surpassing DJK's yardage record in the near future.

And, unless you've forgotten, Iowa's O is traditionally built more around its running game ... and due to injuries, Iowa's RB corps has been depleted ... so we haven't been able to lean on it as heavily as we'd ideally like to. Given that Iowa returns 4 returning starters on the OL, plus another guys who seen extensive starts ... I expect that Iowa's OL play in 2011 will be VERY good. When you consider having a healthy and full stable of RBs capable of running behind them ... you're likely looking at an Iowa O that can have the sort of balance that the Iowa coaches tend to prefer.

And given that Iowa's Vandenberg is a precision passer ... if you provide him with a strong running game ... then that's going to likely make him only that much more dangerous in the passing game!

Iowa State can beat the Hawks next year? Really?
With who? Jerome Tiller?! Please.
Have you seen what they lose? The problem with ISU is they aren't very good this year and it's the most talent they've had in ages and nearly ALL of it graduates.

Arnaud, A-Rob, Colin Franklin, Jake Williams, Sims, Rashawn Parker, Lamaak, Smith all gone

Good luck with that and now you play EVERY B12 team... you don't miss some of the big boys each year.

How many Hawkeye fans said Iowa would beat Northwestern this year? How many Hawkeye fans thought Iowa would go into Indiana and win without a scare?

Never under estimate an opponent! Not even Iowa State.

OL - The line will be very good next year
TE - We reload every year
WR - We will miss DJK but we have good depth
QB - Stanzi has been great, but Vandenberg has a strong arm and experience
RB - We will once again have depth and experience
Kicker - Mike Meyer has this spot locked down for the next three years

DL - We will see a lot of new faces next year, graduation hits this group hard
LB - This group will be better next year, healthy and experienced
CB - We don't lose anyone and these guys will continue to improve
S - As long as Sash returns this will continue to be a strength
P - We will miss Donahue not only for his strong leg, but also his ability to pin the ball inside the 10 yard line.

Next year predictions
Tennessee Tech
@ Iowa State
Pittsburg
Louisiana Monroe
@ Penn State
Northwestern
Indiana
@ Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
@ Purdue
@ Nebraska

I like our chances to compete in every game, I see at least 10 wins next year.

These are the games that worry me the most.... I know that 5 of the bold games are at home, but we have a dog fight in 8/12 games next year (virtual wins TennTech/LaMonroe/ISU/Minnesota games).

IF we get to the NU game unscathed, and we do not win their will be an epic meltdown through all hawkeye outlets. But a loss to them is the least of my worries since they tend to mail it in against other teams with great frequency.

My worry settles in around our 7th game (optimistically we are sitting 5-1). Indiana has always given us fits and even though there will be a new QB starting, we have a tendency to make all-world QB's and focus on the run.

From game Indiana on out, we have got to play Michigan and MSU games after a rivalry game against a new coach looking to impress the fan base starting with the rivalry games. THEN we have a classic trap game on the road against a revamped Purdue team that will have two QB's with extensive experience. And when was the last time we finished the season with TWO road games???

Conservatively we start 5-1, and finsih 3-3. We could have a year that all the bounces go our way and "get lucky" and possibly be sitting 10-2/9-3 and have a trip to the inaugural Big10 Title game! I put a higher likelihood that our 3 losses will be all in the big ten, unless we trip up early against Pittsburg, which would not bode well for our big ten hopes.

FUN FACT: If you take away our rival ISU, Iowa vs Non-conference opponents in Kinnick is 32-3 since '93.

The Losses were to these three teams:

'99 Nebraska L 42-7
'00 Western Michigan L 27-21
'07 Western Michigan L 28-19

You have to go back to '88 in our non-conference loss to Colorado for the last time we lost a non-conference game (excluding ISU) and still went to a Bowl Game. '99, '00, & '07 are arguably the worst seasons for Iowa in the last 25+ seasons.

I would go on to argue that Pitt will likely win the Big East this year, and will enter next year ranked and our preseason clash may garner National attention. I think that game is our foundation for the season- win soundly and your looking at 9 or 10 wins. Struggle to win and we will be closer to 7 or 8 wins.

How many Hawkeye fans said Iowa would beat Northwestern this year? How many Hawkeye fans thought Iowa would go into Indiana and win without a scare?

Never under estimate an opponent! Not even Iowa State.

I agree that you should never underestimate an opponent. However, given the context that Iowa's O rolls more at the end of the year when our running game is better ... AND given the fact that Persa's combo of mobility and passing precision ... those factors led Northwestern to match up VERY well against Iowa.

The problem is that fans rarely break things down past emotional lines.

One of the bottom lines for the 2011 ISU squad is that they lose A LOT of firepower on O. The lose one of their best guys on the OL, they lose a stud TE, they lose their starting RB (arguably the best playmaker on the team), they lose a quality starting QB, and they lose their most reliable WR.

While their D could very easily be better among the front 7 ... they will remain to not be a terribly deep group. Furthermore, as I've alluded before, their D is getting hit big-time at safety ... which is pretty critical for ANY D that faces off against Iowa.

The "X-factor" is that the game is at Jack Trice.

The Cyclones simply don't match up against Iowa like Northwestern does.

Conservatively we start 5-1, and finsih 3-3. We could have a year that all the bounces go our way and "get lucky" and possibly be sitting 10-2/9-3 and have a trip to the inaugural Big10 Title game! I put a higher likelihood that our 3 losses will be all in the big ten, unless we trip up early against Pittsburg, which would not bode well for our big ten hopes.

We could VERY easily lose to Pitt and PSU in the first 6. That's not to say that we will ... but it could certainly happen.

I will say that I like the fact that Iowa gets to face Northwestern earlier in the season in 2011. However, that will likely be a tough game too.

I will say that I like the fact that Iowa gets to face Northwestern earlier in the season in 2011. However, that will likely be a tough game too.

Ding Ding! You win the award for the most understated statement of the decade! Northwestern owns us. This is the team I fear every year and Isaid t back in July. Until the good captain can prove otherwise with a beating, this the game I will circle every year!

Latest posts