Next year's Hawks

MissouriHerk

It's a long way away it seems, but as high as our hopes were for this season, and as much as we are losing to graduation, I like what I see in next year's squad. I'm not saying they're Rose bound, but I wouldn't say it's out of the picture.

Defense: Safeties : Sash; Castillo/Lowe/Bernstine
Corners : Prater; Hyde/Bernstine
LB : Davis,Bruce; Morris,J; Nielsen,T
DL : Binns,B; Daniels,M; Daniel,L; 4th guy ?

Offense: OL : Reiff,R; Gettis,A; Ferentz,J; Zucevics,M; MacMillan,N
WR : McNutt,M,
WR : Davis,K; Cotton,J
TE : Herman,B, Fiedorowicz,CJ
QB : Vandenberg,J
RB : Robinson,A; Hampton,J; Coker,M

Alot of experience still there, and talent/potential as well, yes? Vandenberg is still a question mark, but we had to love his performance, albeit a loss, at OSU last year. He's got a strong, sharp arm. D Line loses a ton, but at least we'll have three guys back, that is I think Lebron Daniel got some important snaps this season.
Anyway, cupboard not bare.

8-4 VERY possible, even likely. Many times when a team loses as much as we are losing this year, a conference championship is clearly not in the cards the following season. My point is that, with these returning starters I don't feel like we have to rule it out.

I'm really excited to see what some of the youngsters like Carl Davis and CJ Fiedorowicz do when they take the field. Carl needs to learn to play with a lower pad level because he's so big, but if he can get that down he may be a terror on the DL.

In all honesty, though, I'm way more excited about the offense than the defense. With guys like Reiff, Zuse, and Ferentz already in our starting lineup and guys like Donnal, Blythe, and Walsh right behind them we may have the best OL in the conference in a couple years. Our talent in the offensive backfield is also pretty impressive. Beyond JVB, I'm excited to see what happens with AJ Derby. Does he stay at QB or get moved around, especially since Jake Rudock is looking like a world-beater? We also have Robinson, Hampton, Coker, DeAndre Johnson, Melvin Gordon, and MAYBE Brandon Wegher. Even without him, we still have 3 RBs who have looked good at the college level, one who came in looking like he was ready to carry the load (Johnson) and one who made a highlight reel every game this year as he averaged better than 12 YPC (Gordon). We may not even have to count much on the WRs if the running game and TE pass game work as well as I think they will.

This year was a bummer but we have a TON of talent waiting in the wings. This could be the end of Iowa being "good" at football and the beginning of Iowa being "great".

I'm thinking 8-4

Gotta start off 4-0 in the non-conference.......the game on 10/15/11 better be a must win around the hawkeye complex.

If Wegher comes back I wouldn't mind him moving to wide receiver/Punt returner.

Miller and Berstine will battle for Greenwood's FS spot.

Gotta start off 4-0 in the non-conference.......the game on 10/15/11 better be a must win around the hawkeye complex.

If Wegher comes back I wouldn't mind him moving to wide receiver/Punt returner.

Miller and Berstine will battle for Greenwood's FS spot.

In the very unlikely event that Wegher comes back to Iowa football in 2011, he should be moved to safety.

OL - The line will be very good next year
TE - We reload every year
WR - We will miss DJK but we have good depth
QB - Stanzi has been great, but Vandenberg has a strong arm and experience
RB - We will once again have depth and experience
Kicker - Mike Meyer has this spot locked down for the next three years

DL - We will see a lot of new faces next year, graduation hits this group hard
LB - This group will be better next year, healthy and experienced
CB - We don't lose anyone and these guys will continue to improve
S - As long as Sash returns this will continue to be a strength
P - We will miss Donahue not only for his strong leg, but also his ability to pin the ball inside the 10 yard line.

Next year predictions
Tennessee Tech
@ Iowa State
Pittsburg
Louisiana Monroe
@ Penn State
Northwestern
Indiana
@ Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
@ Purdue
@ Nebraska

I like our chances to compete in every game, I see at least 10 wins next year.

P - We will miss Donahue not only for his strong leg, but also his ability to pin the ball inside the 10 yard line.

Next year predictions
Tennessee Tech
@ Iowa State
Pittsburg
Louisiana Monroe
@ Penn State
Northwestern
Indiana
@ Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
@ Purdue
@ Nebraska

at least 10 wins? wow thats a bold prediction. I hope you are right too but I don't feel that confident.

I know many of us were excited about this year's favorable schedule...all of the contenders in Kinnick. Next year's schedule is more favorable IMO.

Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana and Northwestern all come to Iowa City. Our road games are Penn State, Minnesota, Purdue and Nebraska. I think most of us agree that Michigan, Michigan State and Nebraska are the teams to beat in our division...we may not beat Northwestern but other teams will.

We get Michigan and Michigan State at home. Nebraska plays Wisconsin, Ohio State and Penn State from the other division. Michigan goes to Illinois and plays Ohio State. Michigan State goes to Ohio State and hosts Wisconsin.

If we take care of the home field we will have the tiebreaker on everyone but Nebraska and their schedule is a killer. Nebraska could be very good and will most likely lose 3 or more. I think 6-2 with the tiebreakers gets us to the championship game. Then we just have to win 1 game on a neutral field and we're in the Rose Bowl.

Seeing it listed out like that just made my heart skip a beat or two. We're losing some amazing Hawkeyes but I think our next few years will showcase some amazing talent as well.

As an aside, I was talking to a few football insiders last week. Apparently a lot of the previous players are very high on Vandy and think he'll be fantastic for us.

It may look like an easy schedule windsor but Michigan, MSU, IU, NW, and Purdue (I think) all play spread style offenses and Iowa, historically, does not play to well against the spread. Mich, MSU, Purdue, and NW all return some good QB's. Defense will have to play out of it's mind next year.

I think we're going to be hurting at QB next year, especially early. JVB looked okay against OSU but part of the reason is because they believed he couldn't beat them unless they did something stupid like get burnt on a couple of blitzes. They played very conservative defense until the last drive when they got into "holy s**t we could actually lose" mode.

NW and Minnesota ran a lot of different looks and a lot of different blitzes (LBs, CBs, and S blitzes) and JVB stuggled, and honestly he struggle really, really badly. He may end up being a great QB, but he is still very green. I think people are getting ahead of themselves and we're probably going to finally appreciate the Americanzi for how awesome he's been the past two and a half years.

Next year predictions
Tennessee Tech
@ Iowa State
Pittsburg
Louisiana Monroe
@ Penn State
Northwestern
Indiana
@ Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
@ Purdue
@ Nebraska

I see 7 teams that can beat Iowa next year: Iowa State, Pitt, Penn State, NORTHWESTERN, Michigan, Michigan State and Nebraska.

I see two teams that could give Iowa fits: Indiana and Purdue.

This year has taught me not to expect a lot from the Hawks. So, I'm thinking 7-5, maybe 8-4 next year.

I just said last night I have a feeling we get more wins next year than this year. It seems when people think we can't we do and when we should we don't some times. I would guess 8 or 9 wins next years.

How's Nebbie looking next year, and MSU???? Don't think Mich will be there yet, but what's everyone think about a possible divison championship? Be nice just to go for the first one ever, even if we were to lose.

How's Nebbie looking next year, and MSU???? Don't think Mich will be there yet, but what's everyone think about a possible divison championship? Be nice just to go for the first one ever, even if we were to lose.

My formula for Iowa 2011 season prediction, or any season for that matter:

Iowa Season Record = Number of wins Iowa should have - games coaches will loose = 10 - 2.

I predict 8:4 regular season record.

There is a reason why the games are played....anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Next years team might have a few question marks right now but there is no reason that they can't rise to the challenge and make a run at history. Look at the 2009 season; who could've predicated a perfect start and what could've been a perfect season (barring an injury to Stanzi and a play or two).

Iowa does things the right way whether people want to believe it or not. The coaches and players put themselves in position to win each and every week. Over the past three seasons we have 9 loses by an average of less than a touchdown....one play here, one play there, one call by the ref and we could be undefeated.

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.”--Vince Lombardi

Iowa State can beat the Hawks next year? Really?
With who? Jerome Tiller?! Please.
Have you seen what they lose? The problem with ISU is they aren't very good this year and it's the most talent they've had in ages and nearly ALL of it graduates.

Arnaud, A-Rob, Colin Franklin, Jake Williams, Sims, Rashawn Parker, Lamaak, Smith all gone

Good luck with that and now you play EVERY B12 team... you don't miss some of the big boys each year.

Latest posts