Next Year's Expectations

nickhawk

In my mind, solid progress in year 2 for Fran would include the following:

16-18 overall wins
7-9 Big 10 wins
At least an NIT appearance
Signing at least one Big Man (JUCO if needed) who can contribute right away

I think Basabe and Cartwright have a good shot at earning All Big 10 honors, but I think most fans are most concerned about increasing the overall win total.

7-9 conference wins seem way far away. wayyyy far away. anybody else feel the same?

Bad thing is that anything Less than 7 wins and it will be slow progress.

7-9 conference wins seem way far away. wayyyy far away. anybody else feel the same?

Bad thing is that anything Less than 7 wins and it will be slow progress.

OSU- Loses Lighty, Diebler, Lauderdale and possibly Sullinger

PUrdue- Johnson and Moore

Wiscy, Jarmusz, Leur Gavinski and Nankvill

MSU- Lucas, SUmmers, and Kebler

Illi- Davis, Cole, Mcamey and Tisdale

Mich- returns everyone

PSU- Battle, jakcson, jones, and brooks

NW- Thompson

Minny- Nolen, Hoffarber

Indy- Rivers

I see a possible 10 wins right there plus one over Nebby. with a little luck and the right pieces next year we could beat anyone of those teams maybe even twice like indiana. Wisconsin has a beatdown coming.

I'm setting the bar low at 14-15 wins. That way anything above is icing on the cake. We are going to to improve in the W column. No doubt in my mind. How much depends on who Franny Mac can sign this spring, and how each player on the roster improves this off season.

15-20... some of u guys need to remember we couldeasily have 16 wins right now

Expecting anything above 18 wins is just setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm predicting 14-16 wins. Anything more will be great but as long as were at about 15 wins I'll be happy with the progress. Year three is where I'll be hoping for 18-20 wins with Basabe being a junior.

I'm expecting us to be next year's Penn State. That would be a very tangible step forward for the program, setting us up for a very exciting Year 3 (Carver might actually get close to full on a consistent basis).

While I think next year could be a big year (16+ wins) I'm not expecting it, especially without knowing our next couple of recruits.

If we go about .500 overall I think that would be reasonable and a good sign of improvement.

Just as important is raising the athleticism of our team so I look for a couple of recruits with high ceilings

There is a good chance we could win 10-11 non-conf games next year alone. Assuming we have a similar and typical Iowa non conf schedule. Then into conference play 7-9 wins is very doable. So 17-20 wins is very possible. This team is improving, it's just not showing up in the win column yet. Another year of seasoning, conditioning, and maturing, combined with some early season wins in the non-conf and this team will have some confidence. I believe an NIT bid is a reasonable expecation for next year.

Too early to project,really. We do not know who will be on our roster,or on some of our oppoenents roster. If OSU has Sully and Buford returning, they might just be the #1 team in the country next year in the preseason...and PU will not be far off with Hummel and Lewjack and their crew.
OSU has 4 top 50 recruits coming again next year....two 6'9'' guys...
Jordan Taylor,who had 39 pts tonite vs IU, is back for Wisky and he will be the best guard in the league....in fact I think he may have clinched POY this year tonite.

Lets see who Fran brings in...and have better info to go on.

Too early to project,really. We do not know who will be on our roster,or on some of our oppoenents roster. If OSU has Sully and Buford returning, they might just be the #1 team in the country next year in the preseason...and PU will not be far off with Hummel and Lewjack and their crew.
OSU has 4 top 50 recruits coming again next year....two 6'9'' guys...
Jordan Taylor,who had 39 pts tonite vs IU, is back for Wisky and he will be the best guard in the league....in fact I think he may have clinched POY this year tonite.

Lets see who Fran brings in...and have better info to go on.

This. Beyond Cartwright and Basabe, the fact is we don't have a lot of offensive or defensive weapons on the current roster.

I would like to see what happens when Fran can completely turn over the roster...hopefully in a positive way.

Do you mean completely turn over the roster from the one he inherited? Because I think we are all excited about at least one current long term player.

OSU- Loses Lighty, Diebler, Lauderdale and possibly Sullinger

PUrdue- Johnson and Moore

Wiscy, Jarmusz, Leur Gavinski and Nankvill

MSU- Lucas, SUmmers, and Kebler

Illi- Davis, Cole, Mcamey and Tisdale

Mich- returns everyone

PSU- Battle, jakcson, jones, and brooks

NW- Thompson

Minny- Nolen, Hoffarber

Indy- Rivers

I see a possible 10 wins right there plus one over Nebby. with a little luck and the right pieces next year we could beat anyone of those teams maybe even twice like indiana. Wisconsin has a beatdown coming.

I wish I shared your optimism. I agree the conference is losing some talented players, but these teams have nice underclassmen and talented recruits coming in. Their incoming recruits will no doubt be better than our incoming recruits and they have more athletes returning, so I don't see a huge uptick unless Oglesby, White and the two yet to be filled spots can contribute. If Archie exits and McCaffrey gets another spot, we might be able to turn the corner to quote Lickliter.

Well this year I predicted 14-17 wins and appear to be off by 4-7. So using that math I am going with 27 wins for the year.

Latest posts