Next Year

olddude

Does anyone else think our schedule next year looks a little, shall we say weak? I know we are losing alot of people, but I would really hate to see us have an easy year only to get to NU and have it handed to us. I plan to attend that game and would like to see the hawks take the huskers and get off on the right foot. Then I have to wonder with a light schedule and if we beat NU, then what ccg and we really get smoked by wisky or oh st.

The Big Ten will be very tough next season. Every team we face brings back more players than us, should improve and we have tough teams on the road.

Does anyone else think our schedule next year looks a little, shall we say weak? I know we are losing alot of people, but I would really hate to see us have an easy year only to get to NU and have it handed to us. I plan to attend that game and would like to see the hawks take the huskers and get off on the right foot. Then I have to wonder with a light schedule and if we beat NU, then what ccg and we really get smoked by wisky or oh st.

You would think if we learned anything at all from this year it's not to try and look ahead and predict how everything sets up for a great year. We'll have anywhere from 5 to 10 wins next year and we have absolutely no control over it no matter how many times we hash it over between now and next fall...

You would think if we learned anything at all from this year it's not to try and look ahead and predict how everything sets up for a great year. We'll have anywhere from 5 to 10 wins next year and we have absolutely no control over it no matter how many times we hash it over between now and next fall...

Why should I learn anything from this season? I'm a fan....so I'm bummed out Iowa went 7-5 and I thought they could have won 10 or 11, maybe more, games....I don't have to go out and play on Saturdays....and I have no problem looking at Iowa's schedule and trying to determine who I personally think Iowa should beat, play tough, and possibly lose to.

I think this team will go 5-7 next and not make a bowl game. My reasoning the lack of effort and energy to end this season. Plus fallout from suspensions and early draft entrees.

Next year seems like its going be a year when nobody expects much and then they totally surprise everybody. This might be wishful thinking but you never know. Im thinking 9-3

As long as Iowa has Northwestern on the schedule it will never be weak. At least not by Iowa standards.

Why should I learn anything from this season? I'm a fan....so I'm bummed out Iowa went 7-5 and I thought they could have won 10 or 11, maybe more, games....I don't have to go out and play on Saturdays....and I have no problem looking at Iowa's schedule and trying to determine who I personally think Iowa should beat, play tough, and possibly lose to.

You didn't learn anything from how this year went? Like how in the beginning all everyone could talk about was possible national championship, we're going to be soooo good, blah, blah, blah. Then it was big 10 championship and rose bowl, then bcs bowl. The schedule laid out pretty good this year but no matter how much people talked about greatness it's out of our control. With past history I don't see how anyone can look at the schedule and say it looks weak considering we're the weak ones right now.

You didn't learn anything from how this year went? Like how in the beginning all everyone could talk about was possible national championship, we're going to be soooo good, blah, blah, blah. Then it was big 10 championship and rose bowl, then bcs bowl. The schedule laid out pretty good this year but no matter how much people talked about greatness it's out of our control. With past history I don't see how anyone can look at the schedule and say it looks weak considering we're the weak ones right now.

Apparently you missed my point. Let me ask you again. Why do I need to learn anything from this season? What lesson was I supposed to learn? I'm a fan, so again, why does it matter what my hopes for Iowa football are prior to a season starting? I look forward to every year. And I root for the Hawks every week. What's with all of these people who are always saying things like "we need to worry about winning this week before we worry about so and so" or "or let's worry about the bowl game before we worry about next year".....who cares. I'm a fan. I don't play football for the University of Iowa, I can look ahead to whatever I want and there are no consequences other than I'm bummed out for a few days when they lose. Any rational fan, is over the fact that this season was a disappointment. It's college football, and I don't have anything to do with how they perform on the field....and other things really matter. I don't look ahead to my son's next birthday. I don't look ahead to Easter when its Christmas. I don't look ahead to what I'll be studying next semester at school when I still have a final to take this semester. I do however, look ahead and have expectations and hopes for Iowa athletics well in advance of the present....because I can. There is no lesson to be learned, unless you are seriously still crying about 7-5.

Way too much can happen...

between now and then. No way to say that the schedule is weak. Two non-conference games against BCS conference teams.

Conference games at Penn State (who would really like to beat us), at Minnesota (will not be very good but they beat us this year when they were bad), at Purdue (decimated by injuries this year) and Nebraska (they will be good). Home games are all winnable but all very loseable as well (exception of Indiana, who will be putrid).

I think the Iowa roster from top to bottom is in good shape, especially on the offensive line, which is a key for Iowa. Iowa likely will put 5 guys on the o-line who all have starting experience, with 3 of them having at least a full year of starting and another 2 (MacMillan and Gettis) who played well in multiple starts this year. You would think that other guys (Donnal, Boffelli, etc.) might also take steps forward.

We will have a chance to be good, any record from 5-7 to 10-2 possible.

I don't think it's an easy schedule. It has some quirk to it.

The Hawks don't leave the state until 10/8, when they go to PSU, after a bye week. Their only other road game after that until 11/19 is @Minnesota. There is a real possibility that the Hawks could post a very, very strong record heading into @Purdue and @Nebraska to finish up. Both of those games should be very, very tough to make it to Indianapolis.

I think there are a couple hinge games. @PSU, Northwestern (again), and @Purdue. Not looking past anybody else (God knows, after this season), but I see those games as ultra pivotal to a successful season. Nice to get MSU back at home again as well.

It will be interesting to see just how important the Nebraska game will be. I kind of think they may have some trouble, as their schedule looks grueling.

I don't think it's an easy schedule. It has some quirk to it.

The Hawks don't leave the state until 10/8, when they go to PSU, after a bye week. Their only other road game after that until 11/19 is @Minnesota. There is a real possibility that the Hawks could post a very, very strong record heading into @Purdue and @Nebraska to finish up. Both of those games should be very, very tough to make it to Indianapolis.

I think there are a couple hinge games. @PSU, Northwestern (again), and @Purdue. Not looking past anybody else (God knows, after this season), but I see those games as ultra pivotal to a successful season. Nice to get MSU back at home again as well.

It will be interesting to see just how important the Nebraska game will be. I kind of think they may have some trouble, as their schedule looks grueling.

Thats exactly how I see it. I am thinking injuries could play a big part for Nu when we go there. I was more interested in the fact that most of our games are winnable (in my eyes) possibly alowing us to get our hopes up.
Only to have them really crushed later in the season. All in all I think the Hawks will show up to play, it will be a time for younger ones to get thier time in the light and work towards the draft.

If this is how you feel, why are you on this board?

Seriously, we can't discuss things we have no control over? That's pretty much everything related to Iowa athletics. We can't make predictions and guess the outcomes of future games? Give me a break. Why don't you just take your ball and go home.

Good season...8 wins
Bad season...5 wins

eh, I'd bump it to 9 wins for a good season. It really all depends on JVB. If he's good, that offense will be one of the better offenses in the league next year. I expect a dropoff on the defensive side, but Iowa has a pretty long track record on that side of the ball of replacing key guys and at least being average.

I think this team will go 5-7 next and not make a bowl game. My reasoning the lack of effort and energy to end this season. Plus fallout from suspensions and early draft entrees.

images

Depends on our roster next season, but I think 6 wins wouldn't be out of the question for us.

We should be bringing back an experienced OL, a QB with some game experience, a few good receivers, experienced (and hopefully healthy RBs), and skilled TEs.

On defense, we'll have to rebuild our DL, deal with injured/relatively inexperienced LBs and a mix-n-match DB corp.

Special teams will continue to be special unless we find some magic bullet to fix all our problems.

Depends on our roster next season, but I think 6 wins wouldn't be out of the question for us.

We should be bringing back an experienced OL, a QB with some game experience, a few good receivers, experienced (and hopefully healthy RBs), and skilled TEs.

On defense, we'll have to rebuild our DL, deal with injured/relatively inexperienced LBs and a mix-n-match DB corp.

Special teams will continue to be special unless we find some magic bullet to fix all our problems.

The magic bullet is called health. You can't lose that many linebackers and not have it hurt the special teams.

and I think rebuild is a strong word to use when talking about the d-line. They'll return two players who have started and played a lot.

And what's wth the "we should bring back...?" You know something I don't?

Latest posts