Next year, what impact

I think most of us feel there will be some redshirts next year. But it's way too early to know who they might be. All the newcomers will arrive in Iowa City in June then have all summer and early fall to show what kind of game they have.If they've got game and can contribute they'll play.

Plus there are questions about those returning. How will JBo respond to a second hip surgery? How well does Nunge recover from an torn ACL? Who doesn't come back that could? Are there any new injuries?

We didn't think there would be any depth issues this year, at least I didn't, and now look at it..Lots of unknowns.

The weird thing about a possible redshirt situation is they are technically in Pat’s class but are in prep school this year. If they redshirted they would be playing as freshman but be like 20 years old. Not a bad thing I guess if they keep developing.

So basically they're doing the whole BYU thing. 26 year old college kids.

I would expect the Murray twins to take a redshirt as well as Aron Ulis. They really need to add a little bit more muscle. The only two that will see the floor early could be Perkins and Ogundele. They look more college ready than the others. We won’t be lacking in depth next year.

I’m starting to feel better about this class. Perkins is off to a great start playing great competition in Indianapolis.

The point I am making is that the nice thing is we don’t really need much from these guys next year. In theory we should return: Garza, Wieskamp, Fredrick, Toussaint, Bohannon, C McCaffery, P McCaffery, and Nunge. That’s 9 guys right there, so we aren’t going to be asking much from this group early on.

Drooling over that team and potential lineups. It's obviously assuming that everybody is back (no transfers and Garza stays). I also think everyone could come back and improve again with another off season, especially Wieskamp, Fredrick, Toussaint, both McCafferys, and Nunge. I don't know if Garza is going to get that much better, only because he's playing at such a ridiculously high level right now... how much better can he get? But maybe that's a dumb question. He's shown a fierce work ethic to improve and dedicate himself to the game. So the sky is the limit.

And I don't forecast Bohannon getting much "better". But "healthy" counts just the same. Not to be pessimistic, but I would view the upcoming (long) off season for him more as a rehab than a pure improvement time.

Latest posts