Next year, what impact

I

Ian Pike Hammer

will the Murray twins have on the program, in their freshman year?

If Wieskamp is still around I would expect fairly little, likely redshirt. The weird thing about a possible redshirt situation is they are technically in Pat’s class but are in prep school this year. If they redshirted they would be playing as freshman but be like 20 years old. Not a bad thing I guess if they keep developing.

I would expect the 3 and 4 spots to be dominated by Wieskamp and the McCaffery boys, maybe some Nunge depending on his rehab.

The other thing to note is that if Ulis or Perkins earns some back court minutes, that could slide a guy like Fredrick down to the 3 some as well, which would leave even less minutes for these two.

I would look at these guys as longer term investments. At 6’8 with the ability to shoot the outside shot they have potential. The good news is we don’t really need them to make an impact until 2021 most likely.

Ok , admittedly I am a glass half full type , I do believe this incoming class to be better than a lot of posters do , time will tell , the Murrays have been borderline dominating , Perkins has been really good as well so far this year and I am intrigued by Ogendele and what he may bring , not sure how tough of competition they are playing ( Perkins is playing with and against signed D1 talent it sounds like ) , long winded way of saying I hope we get a pleasant surprise from all of them

Ok , admittedly I am a glass half full type , I do believe this incoming class to be better than a lot of posters do , time will tell , the Murrays have been borderline dominating , Perkins has been really good as well so far this year and I am intrigued by Ogendele and what he may bring , not sure how tough of competition they are playing ( Perkins is playing with and against signed D1 talent it sounds like ) , long winded way of saying I hope we get a pleasant surprise from all of them
I’m starting to feel better about this class. Perkins is off to a great start playing great competition in Indianapolis.

The point I am making is that the nice thing is we don’t really need much from these guys next year. In theory we should return: Garza, Wieskamp, Fredrick, Toussaint, Bohannon, C McCaffery, P McCaffery, and Nunge. That’s 9 guys right there, so we aren’t going to be asking much from this group early on.

I think they will have an impact. Not a huge impact, but they aren't useless next year. Auburn was looking at these two before they committed. Their bodies have filled out based on what I've read. Bakari and Kriener are gone. Other variables on who comes back plays into this pretty heavily. Any team can use 6'8 guys that can shoot assuming they can play some defense.

Hopefully negligible. Next years team will be all about the returning core. If they have an impact it likely means Garza and Wieskamp left and Patrick still isn't able to go.

If you're hoping negligible, you're hoping they aren't awesome. I hope everyone returns and the twins both end up starters for the first game next year. Hell, I'm hoping this class ends up the next fab 5 and they all are starters.

If you're hoping negligible, you're hoping they aren't awesome. I hope everyone returns and the twins both end up starters for the first game next year. Hell, I'm hoping this class ends up the next fab 5 and they all are starters.

Touche. I hope they're the next coming of Lebron and just needed a bit of seasoning to be ready to dominate at the next level.

But having tempered my expectations, I think they're most likely to be at the very best a Wieskamp level where they show potential as contributors early and end up being an integral part of the rotation. But ultimately, that would still put them behind a Junior year Wieskamp and Patrick McCaffery with another year of added weight and experience. Hence my prior comment. They may bolster the ranks but idk if they improve the ceiling when the ceiling for next year is already a final 4 type team with loads of experience, talent, and shooting if Wieskamp and Garza return.

Touche. I hope they're the next coming of Lebron and just needed a bit of seasoning to be ready to dominate at the next level.

But having tempered my expectations, I think they're most likely to be at the very best a Wieskamp level where they show potential as contributors early and end up being an integral part of the rotation. But ultimately, that would still put them behind a Junior year Wieskamp and Patrick McCaffery with another year of added weight and experience. Hence my prior comment. They may bolster the ranks but idk if they improve the ceiling when the ceiling for next year is already a final 4 type team with loads of experience, talent, and shooting if Wieskamp and Garza return.

I suppose them being the next fab 5 is probably a bit unrealistic. It is a strange situation tho to have a 5 player class coming in and we don't need any of them to contribute right away as long as everyone is here and healthy.

If they are like their father and can put them on the floor, day one, that would be awesome. I am not expecting that, however. I am with dean put me at zero.

Do you ever get bored of doing that take? Haha. I mean I get the angle and everything but it’s just kind of a waste of space and replies.

Weiskamp’s numbers as a freshman were some of the best in the McCaffery era. I’d say their ceilings as a freshman would be Clemmons level.

Weiskamp’s numbers as a freshman were some of the best in the McCaffery era. I’d say their ceilings as a freshman would be Clemmons level.

I was being more than a bit generous to make a point about their place in the rotation. I'm hoping they can get some experience with spot minutes taking some 3's, playing some d, and grabbing some boards. Would hopefully help soften the blow of Wieskamp's departure.

Iowa seems to be collecting some players who can shoot the ball, which usually has many happy endings.

Does it ever hurt rebounding, when you add two 6'8" players?

Latest posts