Next Year = Total Mystery

CAARHawk

Banned
Probably best after this year that there will be massive turnover, but it is hard to get a sense of what next year will bring.

New D - Line. Daniels was an impressive situational player, can he go every down? Binns seems to have regressed and has not built the strength to hold the corner yet. Who else? Who knows?

O Line - Reiff, Ferentz, Gettis, MacMillan, and Zus seem set. After that? Well, Iowa couldn't come up with a better option than Koepple, who clearly was not big enough to hold that position this year. Is it any wonder Iowa didn't win a game after he became the starter? That being said, even he is gone this off-season. Who emerges?

RB - ARob 2 concussions in three weeks? Those things happen easier when they start happening close together. Jewel is coming off second ACL. Coker seems like a winner, but...

Receiver - Iowa graduates 3 seniors. Davis is likely number 2, bur who else emerges?

Safety? If Iowa has to replace 2? Hope not, but a lot of speculation that could be the case.

And that brings us to QB. Great arm, coach's kid type. Hasn't shown any ability to read or react to the blitz.

Disagree about Binns not holding the edge. He was fine with run defense.

Probably best after this year that there will be massive turnover, but it is hard to get a sense of what next year will bring.

New D - Line. Daniels was an impressive situational player, can he go every down? Binns seems to have regressed and has not built the strength to hold the corner yet. Who else? Who knows?

O Line - Reiff, Ferentz, Gettis, MacMillan, and Zus seem set. After that? Well, Iowa couldn't come up with a better option than Koepple, who clearly was not big enough to hold that position this year. Is it any wonder Iowa didn't win a game after he became the starter? That being said, even he is gone this off-season. Who emerges?

RB - ARob 2 concussions in three weeks? Those things happen easier when they start happening close together. Jewel is coming off second ACL. Coker seems like a winner, but...

Receiver - Iowa graduates 3 seniors. Davis is likely number 2, bur who else emerges?

Safety? If Iowa has to replace 2? Hope not, but a lot of speculation that could be the case.

And that brings us to QB. Great arm, coach's kid type. Hasn't shown any ability to read or react to the blitz.

He does a better job reading and going through his progressions than Stanzi...and he can't be any worse against the blitz than Stanzi was.

He was waaaayyyy worse than Stanzi was against the blitz. People remember the OSU game, but the only Blitz he face in that game was the Ill-fated overtime. Minny and NW are better indications and he was a mess against the blitz in both those games. Not saying he can't pick it up, but he hasn't shown that ability at this point. Doesn't matter how good you are going through reads, if you panic and can't hit the hot read off a blitz.

Also, disagree with the Binns assessment. That is one reason why Ballard was at end in obvious run situations this year.

New D - Line. Daniels was an impressive situational player, can he go every down? Binns seems to have regressed and has not built the strength to hold the corner yet. Who else? Who knows? With two returning starters I don't think our DLine will be too bad. I'm glad Daniels stepped up this year. Binns is still good but you have to go with your aces and that is why Daniels saw more time on the line than Binns did. Daniel looks to be pretty good too so I think our DLine will be adequate next season.

O Line - Reiff, Ferentz, Gettis, MacMillan, and Zus seem set. After that? Well, Iowa couldn't come up with a better option than Koepple, who clearly was not big enough to hold that position this year. Is it any wonder Iowa didn't win a game after he became the starter? That being said, even he is gone this off-season. Who emerges? I think our OLine next year will be the strong point as long as it doesn't get ravaged by injuries. I would assume next man in will be either Donnal or Scherff.

RB - ARob 2 concussions in three weeks? Those things happen easier when they start happening close together. Jewel is coming off second ACL. Coker seems like a winner, but... We should be looking at Hampton, Coker, ARob, and Deandre Johnson and I have heard the quiet whisperings that Wegher may be back next year. That leaves us with four to five backs. I can see ARob becoming more of a situational back with his concussion issues.

Receiver - Iowa graduates 3 seniors. Davis is likely number 2, bur who else emerges? McNutt and Davis are given. After that I would think you are looking at Jordan Cotton and Kevonte Martin-Manley or maybe Marcus Grant as a true freshman.

Safety? If Iowa has to replace 2? Hope not, but a lot of speculation that could be the case. If it's one I would assume Jordan Bernstine would get one more crack at making something of his career.

And that brings us to QB. Great arm, coach's kid type. Hasn't shown any ability to read or react to the blitz. JVB will be one year older and one year wiser. I think it is way too soon to judge what he can or can't do. We only saw him for a couple of series this year and last year he was thrown into the fire as a freshman so I can't judge off of that either. I think he will be a fine two year starter for us.

He was waaaayyyy worse than Stanzi was against the blitz. People remember the OSU game, but the only Blitz he face in that game was the Ill-fated overtime. Minny and NW are better indications and he was a mess against the blitz in both those games. Not saying he can't pick it up, but he hasn't shown that ability at this point. Doesn't matter how good you are going through reads, if you panic and can't hit the hot read off a blitz.

Also, disagree with the Binns assessment. That is one reason why Ballard was at end in obvious run situations this year.

You're going to go base your critique of him off of two games that took place over a year ago? He was a freshman who hadn't had many reps (Ferentz even admitted they dropped the ball on having the backup prepared to come in last year). I would think that he has the ability to progress and I will stick to that thought until he proves otherwise next season.

As far as DL, I think Binns and Daniels give good foundation. Binns did better than you state, IMO.
As far as OL, Boffelli was doing well until injured. I think he may have been ahead of Koeppel but read he had leg injury that set him back. Not sure but I feel good about Boffelli, Van Sloten, Scherff and Donnal in providing some OL depth. Orne also may make his presence felt.
As far as RB, I agree there is some concern. IF Wegher came back, that would help but who knows what BW will do. Just throwing it out as possible option and not trying to spread a rumor.
At WR, Shumpert and and other freshman, KMM may be good options as well as Cotton.
At QB, hopefully JV is ready to go. I agree he showed poorly as freshmen but would hope additional year and time will help him.

Norwalk:

I agree with all your comments, but look at all the names you brought up and you have to admit that we don't know much about any of them. I mean there will be a bunch of Hawks who will need to be key contributors that just haven't seen any kind of reps to this point.

The only thing I disagree with is the Bernstine comment. I voice my assessment about him pre-season and got hammered, particularly by Jon. Pretty sure I won't be the one eating crow there. Pretty sure Tanner is the next man in at safety. Just hope the Hawks are only replacing one.

Everyone, as far as Vandy goes, I am just saying there is still a ? I am not saying he is a bust or anything. Seriously, I am not saying next year will suck, I am saying there are a lot of questions left to be answered.

Nothing anyone has stated here has come close to changing my mind. Basically everyone has listed a bunch of guys with little or no reps. That is just what I have been saying.

Norwalk:

I agree with all your comments, but look at all the names you brought up and you have to admit that we don't know much about any of them. I mean there will be a bunch of Hawks who will need to be key contributors that just haven't seen any kind of reps to this point.

The only thing I disagree with is the Bernstine comment. I voice my assessment about him pre-season and got hammered, particularly by Jon. Pretty sure I won't be the one eating crow there. Pretty sure Tanner is the next man in at safety. Just hope the Hawks are only replacing one.

This is true, most of the logic so far is based upon the hype these guys received throughout the recruitment process. I'm hoping that after they witnessed the collapse this season that we get some kids coming in that are hungry to make a difference. I think some of these guys will show that hunger.

Slew: Orne not being able to supplant Koepple surprised me and bummed me out. I don't know what the story is there.

He does a better job reading and going through his progressions than Stanzi...and he can't be any worse against the blitz than Stanzi was.

WHAT! I completely disagree with that. Vandenburgs biggest issue to me going into next year is reading the blitz and reading the defense. He looked real shaky against Northwestern and Minnesota last year and couldn't adjust to the blitz against Minnesota. Against Ohio St he threw 3 picks and should have been 4 if not for Moeaki catching a pop fly. Also Ohio St had a 5th one that they returned for a td that was called back because of a penalty. He has a lot of good qualities but for those anointing him as this great Qb already are jumping.g the gun a bit. He has a lot of things to work on.

Norwalk: I agree about the hunger issue. I think that is why it is a good thing to have big turnover this year.

Now, I am not saying this is the same thing, but if you remember the last time the Hawks had a disappointing season and graduated a 3 year starting QB, who had a dissapointing senior season, although he had good personal stats, and a few NFL draft picks, they brought in a highly regarded new QB who had some playing time and a start or two under his belt and the season was a complete disaster.

Again, don't think this is the same situation, just some uncomfortable similarities.

I think we will be fine next year and I think we will bounce back from this disappointing season and have a good year. We will once again be flying under the radar because teams won't expect too much from us but I think we have the talent in line to right the ship. All is not doom and gloom in IC

I think any criticisms of James Vandenberg at this point are short sighted and unfair. He has had two opportunities. Like most quarterbacks in the college game, he struggled with the throws over the backers and under the safeties. Few college QB's ever master this. Maybe 15 or 20 a year, tops. But he has also shown an impressive set of tools. To do what he did at OSU last year might have been one of the most impressive freshman performances I can recall from an Iowa football player.

Minnesota blitzed and blitzed, as they should have. It wasn't a great day. But he will two springs and two fall camps removed from that game.

As for the OL, the starting OL does seem set, which is not something many teams in this league will be able to say as of January. I think the depth behind them will be better than it was this year. The OL for 2011 is going to be better, perhaps exponentially better, than it was this year. Bofelli is someone the staff has been raving about since he was a true freshman. There are some good young players in that pool, too.

RB: Lot of talent and who knows if more is on the way (Coe)
FB: Rogers has looked the part
WR: Davis and McNutt are a very good start here
TE: Herman and CJ Fed a very good start.

I think the 2011 Iowa offense could be just as productive as this year's offense was ON THE AVERAGE. I am not talking about the last four games Hawks.

The defense: Binns and Daniel are good starting pieces. I am confident the staff will have two or three others ready to come in and play team defense. One of the plusses of running the same system year in and year out is that the young kids get a chance to play at a faster level, without thinking so much, when they do hit the ground running. There will be a DL drop off, but maybe not as far as some are thinking.

LB: Lose Hunter, big loss. But Morris will be perhaps twice the player next year he was this year, just as Edds was after getting his feet wet as a true frosh and Morris more than got his feet wet. Dibona, Kirksey, Nielsen (who was playing at a high level)....I think the LB corps on the whole will be solid.

Two returning starting CB, and I think both have great talent...We'll see if Sash tests the NFL waters...before the year I would have said no way. After this season going the way it went, I would guess he talks to some people.

I think the defense drops off, but just how much? I don't expect it to fall off a cliff.

Punter will be a big deal. Mullings seemed to have a slow 'delivery' if you will, but that was just watching him in warmups with no rush. Guthrie got off some good kicks in warmups with no rush, just wasn't consistent.

PK: Who knows.

I agree that there will be an element of mystery on the team next year. Right about now, that's intriguing to me and exciting.

I will be breaking down every Iowa opponent is as much detail as I can find starting in January after the bowl games.

I want to be clear that I'm not criticizing Vandenburgs performance as much as I am the people who think he is just going to jump right in and be better than Stanzi was. Its going to take some time for him to get comfortable. I feel some are heaping to many expectations on him already. He is going to take some sacks and throw some picks until he gets more experience. Experience that he should of received more of this year in some of the early blowouts, but that's a discussion for another thread. Offensively I think the team will produce once Vandy gets comfortable. Defensively I worry a bit about the d line but I was very encourage by Alvis and Bigach's play. Big question to me is who takes over for Greenwood? Will it be Tanner Miller, Hitchens or maybe Bernstine can slide in that slot or maybe even Nico Law? Anyone have any insight?

Offense should at least be at same level as 2010. JVB impressed me in 09 wish he had more pt in 10 but part of 7-5 season.
Defense according to most here can it get worse than 2010. long late game winning drives? as long as they eliminate the break part of the bend dont break D have to be better.

Somebody will have to step up on defense to become a big-time playmaker. Otherwise, I see the 2011 Hawk defense giving up many 15 play, 80 yard touchdown drives.

I would also add that the uncertainty of Norm Parker and his returning is a huge question mark. And if he does return can he make it the whole season and if he doesn't return who takes over. I believe losing Norm this past year was huge especially when it came down to the 4th quarter adjustments.

Latest posts