Next step

blkngldFRO

I think Fran has done quite a bit in his short time at Iowa, but he needs to take this team to the next step. That is a significant road win against a solid ranked opponent. I would love to see that happen in Madison! I don’t really see where there are any teams that they will face that will just blow Iowa out. The Hawks could have a cold shooting night but with as many weapons at Fran’s disposable I don’t see it happening. I have watched both Wisky and Ohio play this year and I am not overly impressed.

How many quality road wins do you think it will take to consider this team over that hurdle?

I think most conference road games are considered quality road wins so if we can win 4-5 away from home this year in conference I think that is a great accomplishment.

Assuming we hold serve at home and maybe slip up once that should end with a 12-6 record...and I would take that.

Next big test is at Wisconsin. If we win, then we are looking good. If we lose, that's another failed attempt to beat a good team on the road and things get tense in IC and the game at OSU becomes HUGE. You need quality wins on your resume and we don't have any right now.

Would love to get (2) on the Badgers. They're already arguing amongst themselves over whether MSU or OSU is their biggest obstacle to winning the Big 10 and they only play both of those teams once this year.

Would love to get (2) on the Badgers. They're already arguing amongst themselves over whether MSU or OSU is their biggest obstacle to winning the Big 10 and they only play both of those teams once this year.

I sure hope they're still undefeated when we come calling. Also, they better hope Dekker stays healthy and out of foul trouble. I think he's a special player and makes everyone on their team better. I think we sweep them...just talking about their season as a whole. Lose Dekker for awhile and the season slips away.

Next big test is at Wisconsin. If we win, then we are looking good. If we lose, that's another failed attempt to beat a good team on the road and things get tense in IC and the game at OSU becomes HUGE. You need quality wins on your resume and we don't have any right now.

You don't need to beat top 5 teams on the road to get into the dance. We could lose both of them and still potentially win the big 10.

Notre Dame is currently 51 and Xavier 52 on Kenpom. Those are both quality wins...even better wins if they both move up as the season progresses. Drake is 115 and UTEP is 122...not earth shattering wins but not bad wins especially with neither being a home game.

I sure hope they're still undefeated when we come calling. Also, they better hope Dekker stays healthy and out of foul trouble. I think he's a special player and makes everyone on their team better. I think we sweep them...just talking about their season as a whole. Lose Dekker for awhile and the season slips away.

I've been real impressed with Wisconsin. They can score in multiple ways and getting contributions all over the court. I think Kaminsky has been their key and not Dekker.

I'd be surprised if they weren't undefeated when the Hawks roll into town. It'd be a great win for Iowa, especially on the road. While Wisconsin has been great, there isn't a team in the Big Ten Iowa can't beat and the Hawks can certainly win that game. I'm sure the students have some fun stuff lined up for Uthoff.

In regards to losing Dekker, yeah they'd take a hit but so would OSU if they lost Marcus Smart, Duke if they lost Jabari Parker, Creigthon if they lost McDermott. Basically you take the best player off of a team they'd get worse, so that isn't exactly really insightful.

Then why is our RPI so high? Why are we ranked in the top 25 in the nation? Why are we scoring more points that most teams in the country? Why are we projected for a good placement in the NCAA tournament? We will either have enough quality wins at the end of the BT race or we won't. Saying we have to beat a couple of top 5 teams on the road to get "quality wins" is really an over reach.

Then why is our RPI so high? Why are we ranked in the top 25 in the nation? Why are we scoring more points that most teams in the country? Why are we projected for a good placement in the NCAA tournament? We will either have enough quality wins at the end of the BT race or we won't. Saying we have to beat a couple of top 5 teams on the road to get "quality wins" is really an over reach.

I don't think that is the point. The fact is that there's 3 top 5 teams in the conference and then it drops to Iowa, so there is nothing in between. Those are the quality wins out there, it just so happens those teams are all in the top 5.

I don't think that is the point. The fact is that there's 3 top 5 teams in the conference and then it drops to Iowa, so there is nothing in between. Those are the quality wins out there, it just so happens those teams are all in the top 5.
Quality wins would be wins vs 1-7 maybe 8 in the B1G. Wins at 1-3 when ranked in top 10 let alone top 5 are great wins.

Quality wins would be wins vs 1-7 maybe 8 in the B1G. Wins at 1-3 when ranked in top 10 let alone top 5 are great wins.

Quality in terms of not of being bad, but those aren't going to be the names that pop up on the selection show as "Quality wins". Beating the rest of the B1G outside of those three should be expected.

Quality in terms of not of being bad, but those aren't going to be the names that pop up on the selection show as "Quality wins". Beating the rest of the B1G outside of those three should be expected.

A win against another tournament team is always considered a "Quality win" on the selection show. More on the road than at home but home wins are still necessary but considered a quality win. So yes, a win again the a top 7 team in the B1G is a quality win.

This is incorrect. The majority of the road wins in the Big 10 will be viewed as quality wins as they should be. Beating any of the 3 mentioned teams at home will also be considered quality wins.

A win against another tournament team is always considered a "Quality win" on the selection show. More on the road than at home but home wins are still necessary but considered a quality win. So yes, a win again the a top 7 team in the B1G is a quality win.

Agreed...would take it a step further and say that a road win against almost any Big 10 team is a quality win.

This is incorrect. The majority of the road wins in the Big 10 will be viewed as quality wins as they should be. Beating any of the 3 mentioned teams at home will also be considered quality wins.

I'm not saying they aren't "quality" wins like they don't mean anything. I'm saying they aren't going to be marquee wins as it stands right now.

When we run the table against these teams do you think when they put up the graphic on the selection show they're going have the 12 games or whatever that we won against the teams below us in the B1G listed?

Last edited:

Latest posts