Next Step/Level: WI, and now MSU....What about Iowa?

Look, guy, Iowa will never have "a chance" each year. It just won't. If you want a chance each year, become an OSU fan.

In the old conference alignment, I agree.

When we switched the Leaders/Legends division and who was in ours, I thought OK, so what if KF has his normal September turd against a OOC opponent (usually ISU), all we have to focus on is beating big10 competition.

We really just had to compete with Michigan, MSU, and NE. Two of those schools aren't what they used to be, and MSU we're pretty evenly matched with.

Instead we blow games against NW, MN, IN, PU.....and we're left with the "what if game".

I don't expect national championships. I just expect a chance to win our division each year.

Did you guys see Michigan State's schedule this year? It was the toughest in College Football. They had road games at Kinnick Stadium, Notre Dame Stadium, and Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. Those are some of the toughest places to play in all of college football. Then they had neutral field games against Ohio State and Stanford. Don't be surprised if they get some first place votes in the final AP poll after that non-stop gauntlet of terror schedule they just finished.

In the old conference alignment, I agree.

When we switched the Leaders/Legends division and who was in ours, I thought OK, so what if KF has his normal September turd against a OOC opponent (usually ISU), all we have to focus on is beating big10 competition.

We really just had to compete with Michigan, MSU, and NE. Two of those schools aren't what they used to be, and MSU we're pretty evenly matched with.

Instead we blow games against NW, MN, IN, PU.....and we're left with the "what if game".

I don't expect national championships. I just expect a chance to win our division each year.

Well, we went 4-1 in our division this year but Sparty drew Purdue, Indiana and Illinois from the other side. 4-1 is an upside surprise in my opinion. I don't think we blew games against Indiana, Purdue or Northwestern in 2012. Northwestern had a 10 win team and was way better than Iowa and we lost key linemen against PSU that made our team go from average to difficult to watch by the time we played Indiana and Purdue. That happens, man. It's college football. There is limited practice time and we are a developmental program that is pretty reliant on guys bulking up and building skills rather than guys who are just physical freaks who are ready to play when they come in.

This year, we had a 5-3 team in Big Ten play with a new QB. That's pretty good. Given that Nebraska and Michigan, two of the nation's really top programs, were in our conference in the old regime, I expected to win it once every 6-8 years. Expecting a chance to win it every year is just completely unreasonable. When I go to Kinnick the only thing I expect is a healthy buzz and to watch a football game. Of course, I always hope the boys win, but I've seen enough Iowa football to know better than to form high expectations. I just enjoy the good stuff when it happens, but never expect.

Based on the schedule for the next several years Iowa has a better than average shot at making some significant noise.

2014 - no OSU or MSU.... WI, NE, NW at home

2015 - no OSU, MSU, or MI

2016 - no OSU or MSU....MI, WI, and NE at home

Would be a shame if we can't field the talent to take advantage of the scheduling. Of course this assumes the balance of strength remains much the same.

MSU will certainly fall......they were only 12 points better than Iowa this year and we led them at half. Although they were the best team in the Big Ten this year, MSU historically does not make me shake in my boots. Usually they can't win the big games, but did it this year in the Rose Bowl. I don't expect it to last long.

Latest posts