Next few years of conference schedules released

hawkinn3

Next year look ok aside from going to OSU. 2025 is looking real ugly. We got PSU, Oregon, USC and at Wisconsin.

I’m calling it now, 2025 is Kirk’s last year.

KF is a heckuva coach on balance, and he isn't stupid. He has made changes in the past, usually corresponding with a perceived "adapt or die" scenario. Is it completely out of the question that he makes a Saban-esque transition to modern CFB offense prior to 2025? My guess is that most of us would dismiss the possibility out of hand...but who saw the 2015 version of Kirk coming?

Next year look ok aside from going to OSU. 2025 is looking real ugly. We got PSU, Oregon, USC and at Wisconsin.

Ohio St will finally make it back to Iowa City in 2026. The first time in Iowa City since their 2017 beat down.

Everything got thrown off in 2020. IOWA was supposed to go to Columbus in 2020 and then OSU return to Iowa in 2023. That obviously is not happening.

He’ll never be back next year unless some p12 coaches leave. Usc loses their heisman qb so frentz scheduling luck may continue. But he also knows these teams reload due to the portal. He just isn’t designed to survive with the new model from any angle. I guarantee you he’s trying to get out of the clown game already

KF is a heckuva coach on balance, and he isn't stupid. He has made changes in the past, usually corresponding with a perceived "adapt or die" scenario. Is it completely out of the question that he makes a Saban-esque transition to modern CFB offense prior to 2025? My guess is that most of us would dismiss the possibility out of hand...but who saw the 2015 version of Kirk coming?
How many times have we been in the playoffs since’15? Outright b10 titles? Top 10 finishes after bowls? This “change” you are describing. What exactly was it?

So it looks like they are going with 5-year rotations.

Iowa will play Minn, Wisc, Neb every year.

Iowa will play MSU and NW 3 times.

Iowa will play everybody else 2 times.

Looks like the Iowa has 3 'protected rivals', playing Nebraska, Minnesota & Wisconsin each year. Overall, lots of West Coast teams the next 5 years. Looking at these schedules, going forward it's going to be hard for the Hawks -- or any current West Division team for that matter -- to win more than 5 BTen games in any given year...maybe once every 3-4 years. 2028 looks like the easiest schedule -- maybe Kirk will hang in there until then and try to make one last big splash.

Let's say that KF hangs them up next year. Whatever the terms that he goes out on, I think Iowa has to start from scratch and find a coach that has shown a track record of embracing the new college football world and punching above their weight. KF was a fucking scorcerer in being able to win games the way that Iowa wins games. Part of that is the shitty West, but part of it is just 20-years of a very old school culture that has carried the day. No one on the current staff, or anywhere else for that matter, can reproduce the KF wizadry IMHO.

So, while I suspect many will advocate to hold onto the parts of the KF regime that work (D and STs) and jettison the coaches and system on the offensive side, I would give that very low odds of succeeding. Cobbling together coaches, staff and philosophies rarely works.

When KF leaves, his approach to the game of football needs to be revered, celebrated, and then buried. Winning 13-10 is not a sustainable philosophy in today's game. At some point, the last General climbed down off his horse and climbed into a tank......

Let's say that KF hangs them up next year. Whatever the terms that he goes out on, I think Iowa has to start from scratch and find a coach that has shown a track record of embracing the new college football world and punching above their weight. KF was a fucking scorcerer in being able to win games the way that Iowa wins games. Part of that is the shitty West, but part of it is just 20-years of a very old school culture that has carried the day. No one on the current staff, or anywhere else for that matter, can reproduce the KF wizadry IMHO.

So, while I suspect many will advocate to hold onto the parts of the KF regime that work (D and STs) and jettison the coaches and system on the offensive side, I would give that very low odds of succeeding. Cobbling together coaches, staff and philosophies rarely works.

When KF leaves, his approach to the game of football needs to be revered, celebrated, and then buried. Winning 13-10 is not a sustainable philosophy in today's game. At some point, the last General climbed down off his horse and climbed into a tank......
Probably not... But I do think if Woods was handed the reigns as CEO he could keep the nuts and bolts of the program in place. Recruiting lanes especially in state would remain intact that way. Parker is a wild card to me if say KF were to leave soon. If he'd stay DC a few more yrs obviously that'd be ideal. If not maybe Seth Wallace is ready to take those reigns. Guys like him Kelvin Bell, Abdul Hodge, and Ladell Betts should be retained no matter what if I had a vote.

Offensively however that needs to be blown up and totally replaced. More in the loop folks than me can rattle off possible OCs. I'd throw out Chuck Long if I had my way but that doesn't seem to be on the table.

I have tremendous respect for Kirk and what he's done in Iowa City. And I hope he retires after this season.

There is no way I see him overseeing a team that values offense enough to raise the standards for production on offense. What it would take is a bridge too far.

They also have to electroshock the recruiting apparatus

This season will be the last season Iowa realistically has a chance at double digit wins maybe ever? The KF run has been great and will be looked on as "the good ole days" by our fanbase, but this is a new world for Iowa football and I expect that to be not nearly as competitive. Enjoy it boys, then clinch for what's next.

This season will be the last season Iowa realistically has a chance at double digit wins maybe ever? The KF run has been great and will be looked on as "the good ole days" by our fanbase, but this is a new world for Iowa football and I expect that to be not nearly as competitive. Enjoy it boys, then clinch for what's next.

Nah, we will surprise to the upside once every decade in the new conference. 10-3 is not out of the realm of possibility. 12-0 has only happened once and I am glad I was in that dump in Lincoln to see it because that ain't happening again.

Bottom line is with the offenses we're bringing into the conference we can't get by on "let the defense win games while emphasizing clock management and ball security on offense" mentality. I agree that our win totals will dip in the future as will the win totals of most teams in the conference, but the fact is there has to be an emphasis on offense and scoring points going forward.

Last edited:
Nah, we will surprise to the upside once every decade in the new conference. 10-3 is not out of the realm of possibility. 12-0 has only happened once and I am glad I was in that dump in Lincoln to see it because that ain't happening again.
I was there as well

I just don't have a ton of confidence in the future of Iowa football. I hope I am wrong, I just don't think we're going to win like we have the last 30-40 years and certainly not going to win 70% of games like the last 5. I'll still watch, but like, if Iowa ends up becoming closer to Nebraska then say WI like they are now, my fandom could waiver. It's hard to be engaged with shitty football.

I was there as well

I just don't have a ton of confidence in the future of Iowa football. I hope I am wrong, I just don't think we're going to win like we have the last 30-40 years and certainly not going to win 70% of games like the last 5. I'll still watch, but like, if Iowa ends up becoming closer to Nebraska then say WI like they are now, my fandom could waiver. It's hard to be engaged with shitty football.

There's enough variability in the game that an outlier to the upside is almost a certainty unless we completely crap the bed as a program. Iowa's luck in great and bad years comes in spurts. Plenty of 8 win years easily could have been 5 win years. 2009 could have easily been a 7-5 team if we didn't block consecutive field goals against UNI, convert the touchdown in East Lansing, and wage that miracle comeback against Indiana. Of course, it also could have been a 12 win season had two more plays broken our way. The margins are really small for our program. I think you could pinpoint probably 6 plays that were the difference between 7-5 and 12-0 that year.

This is why I will die on the Deacon Hill. We have a bit of a middling team that can still have a really special season and that luxury is gonna evaporate.

How many times have we been in the playoffs since’15? Outright b10 titles? Top 10 finishes after bowls? This “change” you are describing.
Iowa has had exactly ONE outright Big Ten title since 1958 (that's 65 years) so I hardly think that is a measurable for anything. Starting in 2015, Iowa HAS achieved the following:

1. 75-31 Record (71% winning percentage)
2. 2 West Titles (seven team division) and several runner-up finishes
3. Rose Bowl and final top 10 ranking in 2015; 12-0 regular season
4. Top 25 finishes: 5
5. 4-3 Bowl record including wins against ranked Missisippi State and USC
6. 4 Victories against teams ranked in the top 10 in 2016 (#2 MIch); 2017 (#5 Ohio State); 2019 (Minnesota, then 9-0); and 2021 (#3 Penn State).

Please name me a stretch of Iowa football over nine years that has been as good?

The only one I can come up with is 1981 through 1989 with Hayden:

1. 73-33-4 Record (68% winning percentage)
2. One outright Big Ten title and one shared in a ten team league
3. 2 Rose Bowls
4. Top 25 finishes: 6
5. 4-4 Bowl Record
6. 5 Victories against top 10 teams: 1981 (Nebraska, UCLA and Michigan); 1983 ( #3 Ohio St); 1985 (#2 Michigan);

I can argue that you are in the midst of the greatest extended run in Iowa football history.

I think two things can be true and I agree with both of you.
Iowa has it's very good years....every many years. And in my research the other day, I think they'd be good under the new conference, or just about any conference....in those years.
Iowa is regularly solid and sometimes great. And, more often than not, relevant.

USC is manic. Let's not forget, that prior to the Western Michigan game, the Holiday Bowl against USC was the last time Iowa scored more than 40. (Smith-Marsette with a TD off a reverse, a pass, and a kick return) plus a couple fumble recoveries for the Hawks. They have their downs. OSU even does, just usually their down is pretty marginal.

But the days of needing only one decent upset/make-your-own-luck/stars align win (against Michigan or PSU) and a win over WI/ranked MSU-type team, for Iowa to get near maybe around the 15th spot in the polls will be over. They'll have to have 2 (because there's good odds they'll have two on their schedule) AND a win over Wisconsin/MSU-type.
We will still have those seasons....a 10-3 every decade or so and feel very good.
The difference is the other years we're going to see a lot of 6-6s/5-7s, instead of even 8-4s/9-3s. I don't even want to think of our down years.

And bowl games, when we can get 'em, will more likely be played on Wednesday at 3PM, December 27th instead of a more enjoyable time to watch football.
Most seasons, we will start to look very much like Minnesota/Nebraska/Purdue/Illinois does now. Promising, but ultimately irrelevant, except as a spoiler.

Probably not... But I do think if Woods was handed the reigns as CEO he could keep the nuts and bolts of the program in place. Recruiting lanes especially in state would remain intact that way. Parker is a wild card to me if say KF were to leave soon. If he'd stay DC a few more yrs obviously that'd be ideal. If not maybe Seth Wallace is ready to take those reigns. Guys like him Kelvin Bell, Abdul Hodge, and Ladell Betts should be retained no matter what if I had a vote.

Offensively however that needs to be blown up and totally replaced. More in the loop folks than me can rattle off possible OCs. I'd throw out Chuck Long if I had my way but that doesn't seem to be on the table.
Chuck long hasn’t coached a down of college football in 12 years. You need to quit this wet dream

Latest posts