Next '19 RB Up

I’d be happy with Byrd. He has good size and a respectable offer list. Plus any connections we can make in the south is a good thing.

That Byrd could be a Hawk. Could be a late coup if we get him with that offer list. Must be a smart kid with offers from (Vandy, Duke, UNC, Wake)

Last edited:
I’d be happy with Byrd. He has good size and a respectable offer list. Plus any connections we can make in the south is a good thing.

I agree that southern connections are always a good thing. He could be another Sargent. I'm having trouble understanding why getting that 2nd RB is so important for the early singing period. Iowa is in a position of strength right now. Several P5 programs will be losing their head coach due to retirement or firing (with several more on the hot seat) and Iowa still has the Feb signing period to pick up recruits.
After we win the bowl game and certain teams are searching for a new coach Iowa swoops in and picks up verbals from another 4/5 recruits in Jan/Feb. KF should obviously hire me. I'm willing to work cheap: 500k/yr with a 10yr guarantee. What can I say, I'm a giver not a taker.

Anyone not signed in the early signing period will have everyone and their cousin after them. 10 times the competition for late signees.

Using that logic Iowa shouldn't be saving ANY scholarships for the late signing period. Yet they seem to be.

Using that logic Iowa shouldn't be saving ANY scholarships for the late signing period. Yet they seem to be.

Except Iowa has a good track record of finding talent late in the process by analyzing senior film. It's had misses but some really good makes.

You guys remember any? Go...

Except Iowa has a good track record of finding talent late in the process by analyzing senior film. It's had misses but some really good makes.

You guys remember any? Go...

Agreed. Let's use that program stability (selling point 1) and bowl win (selling point 2) and award winners (selling point 3) to pick up some studs.

"position of strength" - karras

I agree that southern connections are always a good thing. He could be another Sargent. I'm having trouble understanding why getting that 2nd RB is so important for the early singing period. Iowa is in a position of strength right now. Several P5 programs will be losing their head coach due to retirement or firing (with several more on the hot seat) and Iowa still has the Feb signing period to pick up recruits.
After we win the bowl game and certain teams are searching for a new coach Iowa swoops in and picks up verbals from another 4/5 recruits in Jan/Feb. KF should obviously hire me. I'm willing to work cheap: 500k/yr with a 10yr guarantee. What can I say, I'm a giver not a taker.
I'd do it for half that.

This is the 2nd year of early signees so the tactics for recruiting are still evolving for the change. Kids that wait will find themselves with many more suitors. Teams like Iowa offered I will pick- Byrd or Wolfe where they would have waited in prior years but can't if they sign early. Late signees have huge number of suitors in many cases.

This is the 2nd year of early signees so the tactics for recruiting are still evolving for the change. Kids that wait will find themselves with many more suitors. Teams like Iowa offered I will pick- Byrd or Wolfe where they would have waited in prior years but can't if they sign early. Late signees have huge number of suitors in many cases.

We don't want players with lots of suitors? Feels like a low-self-esteem approach.

So if we wait to offer a kid we really like all the sudden he has 5 or 10 more schools after him? And they have 2 months to get a visit or commit from the recruit.

I see offering kids we really like a week before the early signing date as smart.

The other side of the coin as far as the kids go is that if schools fill their quota on a position in the early signing period, they won't be interested in the late period. Plus with the way transfers happen now, the late period is also when teams add transfers. Bottom line is that the early signing period has mostly just moved up the timeframe. I kind of view the late period as trying to find the diamonds in the rough. I'd rather Iowa's class is basically filled during the early period. Like someone else said, why wait to offer a kid if you think he deserves an offer. Only makes it so other teams have more of a chance to evaluate or poach players.

I can't wait til we absolutely SMOKE Troy in this recruiting battle!!! I hope he ends up being good but he looks like a typical bruiser without high end speed. Young 2.0??

Latest posts