Newly Offered Martice Mitchell Hoping to Visit Hawkeyes

Chicago big man talks about opportunity from Iowa:

LINK
Like this kid. Saw another vid of a rivalry game for his school. Soft touch, but aggressive and throws it down with authority, and looks to block shots. Probably downgraded because he’s pretty thin, but looks like he has a frame to fill out. Obviously, other teams like him too. I count 19 schools on his offer list, including Maryland, Oregon, and Xavier. Also, like the Chicago connection with Ulis. Hope we get Foster, but Mitchell would be nice too.

Having a rim protector type of player I think would really help Iowa defensively. Iowa has missed having solid defense in the post ever since Woodbury and Olenseni have been gone. Woodbury wasn't a shot blocker but he was good with positioning.

Having a rim protector type of player I think would really help Iowa defensively. Iowa has missed having solid defense in the post ever since Woodbury and Olenseni have been gone. Woodbury wasn't a shot blocker but he was good with positioning.
Yep, don't forget his Captain Insano defense too! ;)

tenor.gif

Like the possibility now that we have a verbal from Uhlis. Lots of talent in Illinois. Uhlis is ranked #8 in the state for the 2020 class and Mitchell #6.

The first step is typically getting them on campus, so let’s hope we can line up a visit. I wonder if we would take both Mitchell and Foster. I only ask because it seems like this Foster’s recruitment is going to drag out for some time, which could put us behind for other guys.

I like the thought of adding a rim protector, I think Nunge can help there as well. With Toussaint, Ulis, Pmac, and Nunge on the roster for the next few years I think our defense should improve by default. These guys have the tools to be high level defenders.

Hopefully Ahron Ulis is in this kid’s ear about coming to Iowa. Maybe they can schedule a visit for the same weekend.

I really like Martice. He looks quick and has a scorer's mentality. He has a very nice jump hook which reminds me of Lew Alcindor a little bit. He does have the ability to score away from the rim quite nicely.....

:cool:

Last edited:
I think Iowa would take Foster and Mitchell.

Kreiner is scheduled to be done after this year. Garza, Pemsl and Till will be seniors in '20-21. Nunge will be a junior.
Another SF or 3, would probably be where Iowa looks to add someone if they don't add two bigs. Agreed?

Both Michell and Foster look like a year on the weights would do wonders for them. Hopefully, Iowa will get both of them.

Looking at their offers, is Foster better than Mitchell? Mitchell is rated #6 in Illinois. I wonder what ranking XF would have if he lived in Illinois? Would love to have them both!

I think Iowa would take Foster and Mitchell.

Kreiner is scheduled to be done after this year. Garza, Pemsl and Till will be seniors in '20-21. Nunge will be a junior.

This. While Iowa has depth in the post, they are all of a sudden lacking youth. Nunge is the lone underclassman and there are no verbals for the future at the moment.

Looking at their offers, is Foster better than Mitchell? Mitchell is rated #6 in Illinois. I wonder what ranking XF would have if he lived in Illinois? Would love to have them both!

That's a good question considering that Foster is the higher ranked recruit overall but his offers aren't as good as Mitchell.

Of the highlights that I have seen of both of them, Foster has the better game at this time. Foster is also a little more well built at this time. Those could both change though.

That's a good question considering that Foster is the higher ranked recruit overall but his offers aren't as good as Mitchell.

Of the highlights that I have seen of both of them, Foster has the better game at this time. Foster is also a little more well built at this time. Those could both change though.
I think many of those schools would have offered Foster and recruited him, but if what they are hearing from those in Foster’s camp is that he likes the instate Iowa schools and is looking for some blue blood looks, they were likely to spend their time elsewhere. I would guess if Foster called Maryland or Oregon tomorrow and said he’d like to play there an offer would come fairly quickly.

As for Mitchell he seems like a classic “late bloomer” as a recruit who has a lot of potential. Right now there are a lot of schools offering guys, as we saw with Iowa, because they are trying to figure out how they are going to finish their classes. Some of their earlier targets may have cooled on their school, or they have cooled on some of their targets. A lot of offers going out right now so some of these under the radar guys are going to get some more looks.

I like both these guys but Foster is a lot more developed at this point and still has loads of untapped potential. Mitchell also has a lot of potential but his floor is probably quite a bit lower than Foster.

“I don’t know when I’ll visit, but if I can, we might set up the visit,” he said. That quote from the article doesn't sound very promising at all.

“I don’t know when I’ll visit, but if I can, we might set up the visit,” he said. That quote from the article doesn't sound very promising at all.

He's still figuring things out.

He really didn't have most of these offers until the last month. They all came at once.

He hasn't set up any visits yet, so I wouldn't assume Iowa is an afterthought.

He's still figuring things out.

He really didn't have most of these offers until the last month. They all came at once.

He hasn't set up any visits yet, so I wouldn't assume Iowa is an afterthought.
Yes if you're going to play good enough for a month, or part of a month, to open some eyes July is a good time to do it.

There used to be a big AAU event in the Twin Cities in late April or early May that was during an opening recruiting window but I'm not sure if there still is.

Latest posts