New Walk on Branden Stubbs

Saw this kid play in Des Moines a few times. Very talented. Not going to dazzle with his athleticism but this kid is a lot like Jeff Horner, maybe a little better, with ball handling skills, passing skills and takes it to the hoop better. IAhoops.com ranks him as 10th best player in the 2010 Iowa class. I believe Illinois, Butler, Creighton, Gonzaga, UNI, SIU were interested.

Several of these walk-ons WILL play next season because they are good enough. And don't be surprised if 6'7" 240 F, Malcom Moore gets an offer soon...

Are you related to the kid or something? I'm pretty sure Horner is the all-time assist leader for Iowa. He was very solid with the ball and even better dishing it off.

Saw this kid play in Des Moines a few times. Very talented. Not going to dazzle with his athleticism but this kid is a lot like Jeff Horner, maybe a little better, with ball handling skills, passing skills and takes it to the hoop better. IAhoops.com ranks him as 10th best player in the 2010 Iowa class. I believe Illinois, Butler, Creighton, Gonzaga, UNI, SIU were interested.

Several of these walk-ons WILL play next season because they are good enough. And don't be surprised if 6'7" 240 F, Malcom Moore gets an offer soon...

So if he had schools interested, why is he walking on at Iowa?

WOW, 5 PG's on the roster!

Cully Payne - 6’1â€￾ Sophomore
Bryce Cartwright- 6'0" Junior
Branden Stubbs- 6' 2" Freshman- Walk On
Jordan Stoermer- 6'2" Junior- Walk On
Branden Stubbs- 6'2 Freshman - Walk On

And we have Devin Coleman 2011 PG coming in this weekend!

Not true.. he's got good handles, but he's no Jeff Horner

Did you graduate from ISU???!!!

We have 2 Branden Stubbs?

You are out of your mind, on virtually all counts of that post.

By the way, the only source on Stubbs being a preferred walkon thus far is his father. If Branden Stubbs ever ends up with an Iowa basketball scholarship, either he will have improved exponentially or something will have gone very, very wrong with our recruiting.

Last edited:

Stoermer is not a pg.
Coleman is not a pg.

I hope that it works out for Branden. Just a short time after the basketball season he announced that he was going to play at either Liberty or Cedarville....or a small Christian College like that.
I know that the state tournament was a HUGE disappointment to Des Moines Christian. The expectation was to win the title. Getting bumped in the first round of the tournament was not expected.
I wouldn't too much into his stats. They may be a little inflated due to the talent pool of the conference. The conference that Des Moines Chrisitian is in is not very strong. It is the West Central Activities Conference. Teams like Madrid, Van Meter, Woodward Granger, Earlham, West Central Valley, and Coon Rapids Bayard didn't really stand a chance against them this year. DMC have been champs of that conference like 8 of the last 10 years.

Although Branden did not play against great competiton in H.S. he has played against top AAU programs since he was in the 4th grade. He is very strong with the ball and knows how to run a team and get the ball to the playmakers. He did this very well while playing with the AIA team that included McCabe and Barnes. He will be a great asset to the Hawkeyes this year because he will bring intensity to every practice.

That's great to hear sd6365, That's what this team needs! And hopefully he can contribute on the floor this year. Everybody wants to judge these guys before they hit the floor,(they are walk-ons) let them prove themselves in practice! I'm totally grateful that they wanna be Hawks and are willing to pay their way to be Hawks.

TWO things! First of all, whoever mentioned Branden Stubbs and Jeff Horner in the same sentence should be banned from this site forever. Horner was one of the best high school players to ever come out of our state. Stubbs was a great high school player, but 4A to 1A is a HUGE difference.

And whoever mentioned Malcolm Moore getting a scholly, PLEASE NO! He is a HUGE risk, and not that good. He attended three different high schools his first three years, culminating with his junior year at IC High where he helped Matt Gatens win a state title. We would be better saving the scholly and using it in '11 or '12.

TWO things! First of all, whoever mentioned Branden Stubbs and Jeff Horner in the same sentence should be banned from this site forever. Horner was one of the best high school players to ever come out of our state. Stubbs was a great high school player, but 4A to 1A is a HUGE difference.

And whoever mentioned Malcolm Moore getting a scholly, PLEASE NO! He is a HUGE risk, and not that good. He attended three different high schools his first three years, culminating with his junior year at IC High where he helped Matt Gatens win a state title. We would be better saving the scholly and using it in '11 or '12.

Just say NO to Malcolm Moore!