NEW UNIFORMS

duHAWKS

My Hawkeye Nation account activated today.... HOORAY! Anyways, I'm sure this may have been a topic talked about in the past, but I wanted to see what everyone thinks of the idea of a uniform change. I understand that Iowa prides itself on tradition and all that jazz so maybe a complete uniform change won't be coming anytime soon. However, I do think it'd be pretty exciting even if we had an alternate uniform that was worn once or twice a year. Aside from the "USA stickered Herkey" on the helmets, I can only remember some throwback uniforms that were worn back when Chad Greenway was on the team. I also did some research and realized we wore some knock-off Green Bay Packer unis as well (via Bleacher Report). As far as logos go, I would rank Iowa up there among the best. There's just so many possibilities that Nike could play with to give us a different look. Why not some all black uniforms? Why not a black matte helmet? Why not yellow jerseys? Facilities aren't the only thing attracting athletes (dipping into recruiting may have been a stretch) but still; I wanted to see how others felt. Young Hawks and Old Hawks.

Since 1979. We've always had the tiger hawk on our helmet, its always been there, its just the way its always been. We've always had the Steeler uniform , its always been that way, its just the way its always been. Tuesdee night has always been spaghetti night at the lodge. Me an my wife wilma been coming up here for 25 years on Tuesdee for spaghetti its always been that way, its just the way its always been.

I hope they dug a hole and buried those 2012 throwbacks. Let's keep the black and gold home uni's all the time. It's what happens at home.

they tried to paint the water tower after the 2012 season - I'm sure you read about this -

GD built ladders for the painters but

they were two yards short.

I'm not talking about removing the tiger hawk and going all Maryland up in here. But subtle changes to improve the aesthetics of how we look on the field. Lets keep the yellow tiger hawk on the helmet, but instead of a gloss finish, how about matte. Enlarge the tiger hawk a bit and remove the helmet stripe. We can maintain a look where people will still recognize who is playing, but modernize it to appeal to a larger audience. Simplify the stripes. Add an outline to the number. And again, it was more so an alternate uniform idea rather than a complete makeover.

I'm not talking about removing the tiger hawk and going all Maryland up in here. But subtle changes to improve the aesthetics of how we look on the field. Lets keep the yellow tiger hawk on the helmet, but instead of a gloss finish, how about matte. Enlarge the tiger hawk a bit and remove the helmet stripe. We can maintain a look where people will still recognize who is playing, but modernize it to appeal to a larger audience. Simplify the stripes. Add an outline to the number. And again, it was more so an alternate uniform idea rather than a complete makeover.

duHawks,

For your first post or two, you should probably not go there regarding the uni's. It's a very sensitive subject in Hawkeye land. I personally think the Hawk uni's look old and stale, but I'm in the minority to be sure.

There's really no safe topic on here though. If you're pro Ferentz you'll be ripped by the Ferentz haters. If you're pro CJB you'll be ripped apart by the pro JR crowd.

You were at your safest point before your first post in this forum.

I''d like the tiger hawk decal to be a bit larger...or the helmets smaller either way is fine.

So like oregon?

How about somewhere in between Oregon (Who have a different uni every week) and where the Hawks are it (Which is about the same as it was in the late 70's with Hayden Fry.) The uni's were great when he changed them, but 35 years of essentially the same uni is dull and boring.

If I wore the same thing I did 35 years ago I'd be in polyester leisure suits and platform shoes.

Iowa's uniforms are perfect the way they are. Any recruit who bases his decision on ugly uniform options can keep moving to the bug eaters or Oregon.

Should we put a big Tiger Hawk at midfield?

As far as the unis are concerned, I'm glad we don't change them. I get goosebumps every time I see the team gather in the tunnel. They look good, and Iowa has a strong recognizable brand.

If we have to change, let's copy another west coast college team like USC! Oh wait that's already been done, let's copy UCLA then I guess.

d7fc0a094c5c3f96815ee81f234334b2.jpg

I don't think Iowa should ever change their look, they've got something pinned down that a lot of other teams want, a look that's iconic to their team. They aren't just "Steelers ripoffs" as some people say, there are some unique differences.

That said, there's no reason why we can't have an alternate for special occasions(I.E. Night games), and we should. That doesn't mean go ******* crazy like the Purdue game the other year and have your equipment manager whip something up instead of Nike.. Something sticking with the style but expanding on it and bringing it to the modern age would be perfect. Contrary to popular belief it does help in recruiting, because it's marketing. It shows a team that wants to build hype and stand out. And I've seen a lot people being critical of Iowa's (lack of) marketing lately.

Here are some mock-ups I threw together a while back. I think a Hawkeye Pro Combat alt uniform would have a lot of potential to be cool, while still sticking with tradition.

Let's focus on that water tower first, though. ;)

Attachments

• Iowa Mockups.jpg
    Iowa Mockups.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 37
  • IowaProCombat.jpg
    IowaProCombat.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 33
duHawks,

For your first post or two, you should probably not go there regarding the uni's. It's a very sensitive subject in Hawkeye land. I personally think the Hawk uni's look old and stale, but I'm in the minority to be sure.

There's really no safe topic on here though. If you're pro Ferentz you'll be ripped by the Ferentz haters. If you're pro CJB you'll be ripped apart by the pro JR crowd.

You were at your safest point before your first post in this forum.

You are right. I was under the impression that maybe there was a larger audience who followed these forums that weren't voicing their opinions while a registered nurses assistant is wiping their butt and giving them a sponge bath. Silly me.

Iowa's uniforms are perfect the way they are. Any recruit who bases his decision on ugly uniform options can keep moving to the bug eaters or Oregon.

You mean, like, talented players?

Players aren't middle aged fat white men.

You know what would be cool. If we put large stripes on the shoulder pads to represent feathers. I would love to see that.

Latest posts