New Twist on College Football Realignment

http://online.wsj.com/articles/a-radical-realignment-plan-for-college-football-1406069526

OSU researchers attempted to realign college football based on football revenue, winning percentage, computer ranking and attendance between 2003 and 2013.

There were 10 teams in the first cluster, and 12 in the second. Iowa is in the second cluster.

No representation of the PAC in Tier 1. Lots of SEC. Nice to see the hawks in #2.

BN-DU542_COUNT0_G_20140722221045.jpg

good find.

No. I see this as a dataset ripe for a little innovation transfer. What they have developed here is a metric for measuring the status of football programs.

Whether they know it or not they have proposed a five tier system. There are the top four tiers of name programs and a fifth tier of nameless programs.

How you filter it along the historical timeline could result in some teams moving between tiers each season. For this reason I doubt you could come up w/ a conference system just for stability's sake. Still a neat idea IMO.

Last edited:
Really, the only thing interesting here is the addition of Boise and BYU in the Top Tier. Idaho should just go ahead and rename their colleges. Boise should become flagship of the State system instead of that joke in Pokatello - which should go back to the Idaho Tech name.

Then the Big Twelve should just go ahead and add the two and be done with it.

Really, the only thing interesting here is the addition of Boise and BYU in the Top Tier.
Uh, they have those two schools in tier 4. The schools are alpha sorted by tier. Iowa is in the second tier.

Boise should become flagship of the State system instead of that joke in Pokatello
The pecking order there is Boise, University of Idaho in Moscow, and then Idaho State University in Poky. Would have to agree about ISU, they are a long way from their days as a 1AA power in the early 80s when Kragthorpe was coach. ISU will always be remembered as the first NCAA school w/ a covered football stadium which opened in 1970 as the Minidome.

Uh, they have those two schools in tier 4. The schools are alpha sorted by tier. Iowa is in the second tier.

The pecking order there is Boise, University of Idaho in Moscow, and then Idaho State University in Poky. Would have to agree about ISU, they are a long way from their days as a 1AA power in the early 80s when Kragthorpe was coach. ISU will always be remembered as the first NCAA school w/ a covered football stadium which opened in 1970 as the Minidome.

My comment was confusing. What I meant were all these schools are P5, except BYU and Boise. So, by lumping them in it makes an argument they belong.

Here's one thing this grid fails to consider, TV market. That's just as important as attendance if not more so.

My comment was confusing. What I meant were all these schools are P5, except BYU and Boise. So, by lumping them in it makes an argument they belong.

Here's one thing this grid fails to consider, TV market. That's just as important as attendance if not more so.
Yup, probaby should add TV market and revenue. Might also want to add in NFL draft percentages as brought up in another thread.

As for BSU? Now that Chris Petersen is at Washington I expect the Broncos to just quietly slip back into tier 5. What is unfortunate for the Broncos is probably good for the Huskies. There seems to be a lot of parity in the PAC these days, I expect the Huskies will do alright with the Petersen hire.

Yup, probaby should add TV market and revenue. Might also want to add in NFL draft percentages as brought up in another thread.

As for BSU? Now that Chris Petersen is at Washington I expect the Broncos to just quietly slip back into tier 5. What is unfortunate for the Broncos is probably good for the Huskies. There seems to be a lot of parity in the PAC these days, I expect the Huskies will do alright with the Petersen hire.

Peterson was just one in a long line of successful Boise coaches. They haven't done great after leaving.

That being said, I watched Harsin this past year at ASTATE and was less than impressed. Add to that the whole issue with P5 autonomy and it might mean he does not experience the same success as others.

Peterson has a lot of work to do to get UW back to power. There is a lot stacked against him as UCLA is experiencing success, Oregon has the Nike money and USC is coming off suspension. When James was dominating at UW, the rest of the PAC was down. That isn't the case now.

Last edited:

Latest posts