New Starting Line-ups?

SixerHawk

Hubbard's departure got me thinking who's going to start this year. Most people, myself included, penciled in Hubbard to start at the 3 this year. What's everyone's thoughts on line-ups now?

Mine is the same that finished last year with Brommer replacing Cole.

1. Cartwright
2. Gatens
3. Marble
4. Basabe
5. Brommer

Hubbard's departure got me thinking who's going to start this year. Most people, myself included, penciled in Hubbard to start at the 3 this year. What's everyone's thoughts on line-ups now?

1. Cartwright
2. Gatens
3. Marble
4. Basabe
5. Brommer

Agreed. May and Marble might rotate but I think its Marbles right now.

1. Cartwright
2. Gatens
3. Marble
4. Basabe
5. Brommer

That makes me want to cry....that's last years lineup - with out Cole!!!!!

Oh Hubbard what the **** have you done?!?!

Cartwright
Gatens
Marble
Basabe
Olaseni

I go with Olaseni if he can run the floor and block shots consistently, his offense is nowhere near ready, but he can still hit the glass. Olaseni gives Iowa much more athleticism than Brommer.

Cartwright
Gatens
Marble
Basabe
Olaseni

I go with Olaseni if he can run the floor and block shots consistently, his offense is nowhere near ready, but he can still hit the glass. Olaseni gives Iowa much more athleticism than Brommer.

I Hope and Pray that this line up is one Fran throws out at the end of the year. Olaseni is not as raw as a lot of people make him out to be. With some seasoning by the coaching staff in the fall, I think he can refine some of his post moves and be a solid contributor on offense. I think right off the bat he is our most capable post defender by his sheer athletic ability alone. Lets hope he doesnt foul guards 50' from the hoop like Brommer....

Olaseni is not nearly ready to start in the B1G.

Iowa's best bet is to hope McCabe has developed significantly. That would give Iowa a reasonably sized forward who can run. Basabe, White, and McCabe would still give up size, but they would have some advantages in athleticism.

Hoping to get much out of Brommer, Olaseni, and Archie is just not realistic.

Olaseni is not nearly ready to start in the B1G.

Iowa's best bet is to hope McCabe has developed significantly. That would give Iowa a reasonably sized forward who can run. Basabe, White, and McCabe would still give up size, but they would have some advantages in athleticism.

Hoping to get much out of Brommer, Olaseni, and Archie is just not realistic.
McCabe and "athleticism" don't belong in the same sentence.

To make it more interesting why don't you list what you think everyone starting/rotation minutes are going to be. Hubbard may be gone but I wanna see how Oglesby and big oh develope.

Olaseni may not be starting worthy but I think people are under crediting his defensive ability. With who we have at five in wouldn't be surprised to see him starting by bigten play

To make it more interesting why don't you list what you think everyone starting/rotation minutes are going to be. Hubbard may be gone but I wanna see how Oglesby and big oh develope.

I do think Hubbard's departure will open up an opportunity for Oglesby to play more. This team desperately needs a shooter to space the floor and Oglesby will be the best on the team. He is apparently a legit 6'6" now and has shown the ability to put on much needed weight (12-15 lbs. since summer began). With his passing ability and ability to mix it up inside (which he has shown in the PTL), I think he will be a solid contributor right off the bat.

The starting 5 for the hawks will be effective. The problem is at the end of the season in conference play. The bench seems thin and depth is lacking. ISU had the same problem and faded at the end of the games. Iowa just needs a couple breaks to go their way and they will be fine. It's best Hubbard is gone. We want players that want to be here.

The starting 5 for the hawks will be effective. The problem is at the end of the season in conference play. The bench seems thin and depth is lacking. ISU had the same problem and faded at the end of the games. Iowa just needs a couple breaks to go their way and they will be fine. It's best Hubbard is gone. We want players that want to be here.

Define "effective". The same starting lineup + a better center lost 20 games last year. We desperately need a good recruiting class.

"Effective" Good enough to win games. Won't lose games for the team. I agree a couple breaks with good kids like basabe and cartwright. Obviously fran knew what he was getting in basabe. cartwright was a lucky break or at least an unknown that most would agree was a surprise. We need a few more of those to get the kids that you know will come in and kick ***.

Even though it is the exact same lineup just without cole its also far from that. Cartwright will be a big leader due to his second season in the program and play style. Gatens has something to prove this year. He will be better. Marble is going to be a much different player and Basabe should be more developed as well. Don't be too caught up by their names. Be more worried about the improvement.

It is quite likely Mel is going to have a dropoff this year. At the end of the year teams figured out how to limit his effectiveness.

Define "effective". The same starting lineup + a better center lost 20 games last year. We desperately need a good recruiting class.

I don't understand this.

Even though they may have the same name on their jersey, they are not anywhere close to being the same players as experience is critical.

They've had a year of playing together under their belt and some excellent coaching. We went from being one of the most inexperienced teams in the Big10 to being one of the most experienced (graduation and departures from other teams plus the experience).

By all accounts Marble is not the same player that he was as a Freshman.

We have a PG that led the league in assists and earned All-Big Ten honors.

Gatens will be a SR and I find it almost improbable that he could have another mediocre season.

The players now know what is expected of them and the coaches know what they have. Don't discount this for a second as I think this will be one of the better years we've had in quite a while.

Basabe will now be a Soph with a yr of starting experience under his belt. The kid was really good last year and I can't wait to see what he can do this year.

Some of you over estimate what Cole brought to this team. Yes he was a Captain and yes he was a great kid but lets not make him something that he wasn't - a legit C. The kid was 6'6" on a good day. Brommer, Olaseni and Archie are all taller. Cole wasn't an offensive threat nor a defensive stopper. He had the heart of a Lion but the body of a super fit lilliputian.

Sorry boys and girls, this is a bad team. No amount of self-delusion will change that.

Cartwright
Gatens
Marble
Basabe
Brommer

It is quite likely Mel is going to have a dropoff this year. At the end of the year teams figured out how to limit his effectiveness.

Mel hit a wall and then got into major foul trouble down the stretch, that made him ineffective moreso than team figuring him out. If Mel can hit the 12 ft. jump shot consistently he will improve on his scoring for sure and rebounding is all about mentality and it is doubtful that will change.
With Iowa's limited scoring options, I think teams figured that our more than figuring out Mel. He, Bryce and Gatens will lead this team, the others have to accept their roles and Iowa will improve by leaps and bounds with a year and a full offseason with the staff.

Teams realized that Mel makes his living off of putbacks. They started to double him on the block and body him on rebounds. He is not big enough to go over most PFs, he has a limited set of post moves, and he is not a consistent mid-range shooter.

Remember, both Gatens and May were on the league all-rookie team and each dropped off the league honors list.

Latest posts