New role for Ferentz -- fundraiser?

tweeterhawk

I think college football has passed Kirk Ferentz by. I'm not sure his heart is really in it and the staff changes he made three or four years ago are not serving him well. I continue to question whether Brian was the best one to bring on staff in that vacancy. It's painfully obvious Kirk's staff is not attracting the quality of recruits it was 10 years ago. It will be a huge task for him to start over.

So, I would like to see him resign or retire as coach. I do not want him promoted to Athletic Director; as experience has shown at other schools, promoting the football coach into the AD's office usually is a recipe for disaster.

There's another role I think Kirk could play at Iowa, one he would enjoy and that would play to his strengths: a prominent post as a fundraiser, or at least a prospect liaison, with the University of Iowa Foundation. Give him a title like Senior Vice President or Special Assistant to the President and CEO.

Kirk and Mary Ferentz appear to genuinely love the University of Iowa and the Iowa City area. They have shown tremendous charity with their donations to the UI hospitals and related programs. A role with the foundation would allow Kirk, and his wife, to expand on that work.

Kirk has been a tremendous ambassador for the university. Despite unmet expectations on the field, he appears to continue to enjoy a very positive relationship with major donors. He's already put his money where his mouth his; he could walk into any CEO's office with the appropriate attitude and gravitas and speak with authority about the many good things being done at the university. I think he would be effective in encouraging donors of all levels to join those very positive initiatives.

The compensation would be a fraction of what he has been receiving as coach. (And, please, no suggestions for a commission on money he might raise. That's frowned upon in the world of fundraising and it's really poor practice.) At some point, though, you don't need millions of dollars a year as salary. And the satisfaction of doing charitable work supporting an institution and programs you love can be its own compensation.

Last edited:
He is owed over 12 million dollars whether he works another day or not. Why would he give that up for an opportunity to work for a fraction of that?

I think college football has passed Kirk Ferentz by. I'm not sure his heart is really in it and the staff changes he made three or four years ago are not serving him well. I continue to question whether Brian was the best one to bring on staff in that vacancy. It's painfully obvious Kirk's staff is not attracting the quality of recruits it was 10 years ago. It will be a huge task for him to start over.

So, I would like to see him resign or retire as coach. I do not want him promoted to Athletic Director; as experience has shown at other schools, promoting the football coach into the AD's office usually is a recipe for disaster.

There's another role I think Kirk could play at Iowa, one he would enjoy and that would play to his strengths: a prominent post as a fundraiser, or at least a prospect liaison, with the University of Iowa Foundation. Give him a title like Senior Vice President or Special Assistant to the President and CEO.

Kirk and Mary Ferentz appear to genuinely love the University of Iowa and the Iowa City area. They have shown tremendous charity with their donations to the UI hospitals and related programs. A role with the foundation would allow Kirk, and his wife, to expand on that work.

Kirk has been a tremendous ambassador for the university. Despite unmet expectations on the field, he appears to continue to enjoy a very positive relationship with major donors. He's already put his money where his mouth his; he could walk into any CEO's office with the appropriate attitude and gravitas and speak with authority about the many good things being done at the university. I think he would be effective in encouraging donors of all levels to join those very positive initiatives.

The compensation would be a fraction of what he has been receiving as coach. (And, please, no suggestions for a commission on money he might raise. That's frowned upon in the world of fundraising and it's really poor practice.) At some point, though, you don't need millions of dollars a year as salary. And the satisfaction of doing charitable work supporting an institution and programs you love can be its own compensation.
Very astute. I can see you put a lot of thought into it.

Negotiate a severance that would include a portion of what he is owed.

But why would he want to take half of that when he is entitled to the full damn amount? I'm with ya, I want him gone but who in their right mind would forfeit 6 million bucks if you don't have to?

But why would he want to take half of that when he is entitled to the full damn amount? I'm with ya, I want him gone but who in their right mind would forfeit 6 million bucks if you don't have to?

Well there is a fairly large amount of people who think hes been majorly overpaid for the amount of performance maybe it would be a civil way to repay the University for such suckage.

At some point it becomes more about legacy and satisfaction than money. Would Ferentz be willing to walk away from a portion of the money owed in order to go out a winner and to be able to do something new and fresh for a university and a community that he and Mary appear to love? He might.

Some people have soured on him and Iowa football in recent years. But that unhappiness will quickly disappear whenever he steps down unless some major scandal envelops the program, which I highly doubt. Fans were pretty unhappy in Fry's final years. But look how highly he is regarded in retirement. I suspect the same will happen with Ferentz.

Why not offer him a discount buyout, and if he refuses let it leak....hey, I'm CMA if I'm Barta right now...play a little dirty.

I want Kirk to step down or retire as coach. But I don't want to see him ride off into the sunset as it regards the University of Iowa. Perhaps it's foolish thinking, but I'd like to see Mason and Barta find some way he continues to be involved.

This is a very well thought out scenario, and one with which I agree almost entirely.

What happens tomorrow next Weds at 3PM? Anyone getting any calls or e-mails about this? All smoke? Some fire? Fire as in firings, or retirements. Last time they waited until after hours on Friday, and there was no advanced notice until that morning. Curious as I haven't really had time to ask about it, or make read anything.

Last edited:
I want Kirk to step down or retire as coach. But I don't want to see him ride off into the sunset as it regards the University of Iowa. Perhaps it's foolish thinking, but I'd like to see Mason and Barta find some way he continues to be involved.

I'd prefer that he stays the heck away from the entire football department. If he stays in some capacity then we will see his fingerprints somehow get translated to the product that goes on the field. I think about Wisconsin and see all the weird wranglings that they have had. I mean Belima goes to 3 Rose Bowls and leaves, then Gary Andersen comes in a bolts after 2 years. What is going on there, I don't know but my guess is it has something to do with Barry being an overbearing AD. We don't need Kirk presiding over any other Iowa offense ever going forward.

Agreed. I don't want KF involved with athletics in any way once he retires or resigns. I think he would take his cue from his mentor, Hayden Fry, who walked away and stayed away until asked to attend events.

Latest posts