New Recruiting Rule? No Offers for Juniors

Quite frankly, I like the rule. It puts a little bit more power in the hands of the college coaches. Of course, it will also be easier to confuse the dumber recruits who are out there. After all, many recruits will sometimes hear things the way that they "want to hear them." I can envision it now ... a visiting coach says, "we love your film and we're close to giving you a verbal offer" ... what the recruit hears, "we love you and you're a lock to receive an offer."

That's going to kill everything people talked about during the summer on these boards. I'm not sure I like the Aug. 1 rule. maybe January 1, but Aug. 1 seems a little late to me.

I'm not sure how much of a rule change this is, as a practical matter. It doesn't change when a kid can sign (and therefore make the relationship binding on both parties), it only affects when an "official" offer can be made--but the offer still can't be accepted at the earliest date it can be extended.

Without being burdened by knowledge of the actual language of the rule, it sounds like it simply makes both sides of the transaction more readily reversible later in the process. I'd guess kids are still going to receive, and "accept," informal "offers" shortly after exiting the womb in some cases.

it's a non-issue really, verbal offers will still be extended and kids will understand the "official" offer will be extended as soon as allowed. Kids will still commit early, no big deal.

it's a non-issue really, verbal offers will still be extended and kids will understand the "official" offer will be extended as soon as allowed. Kids will still commit early, no big deal.

fuf -

I agree with that. We will still see the recruiting game move quickly ... however, there's now not quite as much leverage as before. A kid cannot say that he got the written offer sooner from one school or another.

The game is not going to be played much more via verbal offers ... and that will make things a bit more fluid.

I like it, hopefully, there won't be as many changes unless it involves a coaching change. Plus, less pressure for the kids to make a descision when they are not prepared.

Latest posts