New RB flip over Brock???

ISUhawk

So we just offered a Rutgers commit and it looks like he's flipping to Iowa. I thought we weren't taking two RBs and if we were, wtf isn't it Jirehl Brock???????

So we just offered a Rutgers commit and it looks like he's flipping to Iowa. I thought we weren't taking two RBs and if we were, wtf isn't it Jirehl Brock???????

the kid from george is are definite guy. they opened up another spot for rb in this class last week, it sounds like it might have to do with somebody transferring after the bowl game.

That makes sense I guess. Should have took both and found room. There is always a few transfers to open a schollie. Whatever I guess. Goodson looks legit, that's for sure.

ESPN lists him as a 3 star athlete - rated 75 - 5'10" 190 4.65
Offers:
Rutgers
Akron
Ball State
Cincinnati
Kent State
Miami OH
Toledo
I'm guessing he ends up filling a need somewhere other than RB

Take a look at his film. He looks shifty and fast. Appears faster then our current stable of backs. I like the shifty part as well. He looks good to me! Welcome aboard!

Makes a guy wonder if any of the current RBs (it's pretty crowded with 3 to be JRs) are looking to transfer out. With this late of an offer being thrown out it's just odd. It's not like this kid is some 4 star blow your doors off talent. He's a 3 star Rutgers commit and has been since Sept. Did his HS coaches throw out some knowledge to Iowa's staff the kid may be looking around? With Iowa having gotten the Daniels boys I wonder if that's where the thread is tied to. You wouldn't think Iowa would spend recruiting time/capital on a kid they don't think they can flip at this late hour. It'd be funny if the kid sticks with Rutgers though.. I don't think we need him but that said I dunno if we might have anyone else leaving or not either...

I'm afraid that Iowa may have burned the bridge with Brock when they told him to stay home the week of him having scheduled a visit.. I'm not sure if it would have been his official visit or not but he was going to be coming and when Iowa got Sargents commitment they told him to his offer was off the table and to not come. That sort of thing (plus being committed to ISU) could have just made Iowas coaches decide to not bother knocking on that door again.

Makes a guy wonder if any of the current RBs (it's pretty crowded with 3 to be JRs) are looking to transfer out. With this late of an offer being thrown out it's just odd. It's not like this kid is some 4 star blow your doors off talent. He's a 3 star Rutgers commit and has been since Sept. Did his HS coaches throw out some knowledge to Iowa's staff the kid may be looking around? With Iowa having gotten the Daniels boys I wonder if that's where the thread is tied to. You wouldn't think Iowa would spend recruiting time/capital on a kid they don't think they can flip at this late hour. It'd be funny if the kid sticks with Rutgers though.. I don't think we need him but that said I dunno if we might have anyone else leaving or not either...

I'm afraid that Iowa may have burned the bridge with Brock when they told him to stay home the week of him having scheduled a visit.. I'm not sure if it would have been his official visit or not but he was going to be coming and when Iowa got Sargents commitment they told him to his offer was off the table and to not come. That sort of thing (plus being committed to ISU) could have just made Iowas coaches decide to not bother knocking on that door again.
It was a case of shit or get off the pot.

Brock had been to campus 4 or 5 times with Iowa as his clear "favorite" and still refused to commit. The coaches had Goodson and must have learned about Sargent, so rather than be left dangling, they moved on and told him there was no longer room.

It was a case of shit or get off the pot.

Brock had been to campus 4 or 5 times with Iowa as his clear "favorite" and still refused to commit. The coaches had Goodson and must have learned about Sargent, so rather than be left dangling, they moved on and told him there was no longer room.
But what's changed between then and now? Our RB situation is exactly the same then as it is now. Unless someone is leaving that's yet to be reported... We could have taken both Brock and Goodson with Sargent having came too. That's in essence what we are trying to do now with this other kid. I don't understand the coaches getting impatient with Brock at that point. Let it play out he may very well have picked us. If he went somewhere else ok so what then we'd still be right where we are now...

But what's changed between then and now? Our RB situation is exactly the same then as it is now. Unless someone is leaving that's yet to be reported... We could have taken both Brock and Goodson with Sargent having came too. That's in essence what we are trying to do now with this other kid. I don't understand the coaches getting impatient with Brock at that point. Let it play out he may very well have picked us. If he went somewhere else ok so what then we'd still be right where we are now...

Actually, it's not exactly the same. Bryan left. Also, Evans was being looked at initially as a RB but I believe is now at WR. FInally, Kelly-Martin was proven to not be as durable and perhaps not a long term answer. So, things have definitely changed somewhat. In addition, since we told him to shit or get off the pot, we have had others leave and schollies open so are total number of expected available offers has increased.

Actually, it's not exactly the same. Bryan left. Also, Evans was being looked at initially as a RB but I believe is now at WR. FInally, Kelly-Martin was proven to not be as durable and perhaps not a long term answer. So, things have definitely changed somewhat. In addition, since we told him to shit or get off the pot, we have had others leave and schollies open so are total number of expected available offers has increased.
Oh yes yes forgot about that Byron FL kid. He left during camp before the season I think even started. He wasn't ever really in the loop but did get some spring reps. And the Evans kid was always a up in the air thing on what position he'll play so yeah at this point they probably have a better idea of what position he'll play. Your absolutely right it's not exactly the same at all

Just because the scholly is going to a RB, doesn't mean it is coming from a RB.
This. Turner and Creamer both leaving, wouldn't be out if the question to see someone else gone before spring ball.

On top of that, even with just 6 guys, it can be a crowded RB room when 3 of them are Jrs with 2 incoming freshman. Lots of turnover there.

Recruiting is such a fluid situation. Things change very quickly.

Brock committed in early July to ISU, where he might have committed anyway regardless of what Iowa did. And at the time, the Hawkeyes weren't going to take more than one back.

Since then, Kyshaun Bryan has left. Also, Iowa got to see what it had in its running back group during the season. None of those guys had played significant reps. It didn't know exactly what it had.

On top of that, scholarships have opened up. That gives Iowa the luxury of adding a RB if it finds one it likes without having to use a ride it had earmarked for another position before the attrition.

Recruiting is such a fluid situation. Things change very quickly.

Brock committed in early July to ISU, where he might have committed anyway regardless of what Iowa did. And at the time, the Hawkeyes weren't going to take more than one back.

Since then, Kyshaun Bryan has left. Also, Iowa got to see what it had in its running back group during the season. None of those guys had played significant reps. It didn't know exactly what it had.

On top of that, scholarships have opened up. That gives Iowa the luxury of adding a RB if it finds one it likes without having to use a ride it had earmarked for another position before the attrition.
I think some folks are wondering if we are offering RBs that are already committed to other programs why not a 4 star one in our back yard we had been in on already again. Their has to be a reason why they'd lean towards offering this new kid over Brock again. This other kid is as committed to Rutgers as Brock is ISU right? Till the ink is dry all is fair so I've heard

We don’t know whether or not the coaches reached out to Brock when they decided they were taking a second RB. Maybe they did and he said he was solid with ISU. Maybe the bridge was burned when Iowa pulled the offer.

I think some folks are wondering if we are offering RBs that are already committed to other programs why not a 4 star one in our back yard we had been in on already again. Their has to be a reason why they'd lean towards offering this new kid over Brock again. This other kid is as committed to Rutgers as Brock is ISU right? Till the ink is dry all is fair so I've heard
To me that bridge was burned when they pulled the offer AND he comitted to ISU.

Quincy, IL newspaper 7/30/2018................

Brock made six unofficial visits to Iowa, but he canceled his official visit to Iowa City in June. The Hawkeyes ended up signing Tyler Goodson from Georgia and Mekhi Sargent, a transfer from Iowa Western with three years of eligibility remaining.

"I was talking to (Iowa tight ends coach LeVar) Woods, who is the recruiting coordinator for this area. He told me they really wanted me, but they had to take the commitment from the kid from Georgia," Brock said. "He said he didn't know they were taking a junior college back. I think the new running backs coach (Derrick Foster) was more high on the guy from Georgia, and I was kind of Coach Woods' guy.

"They still wanted me to come there, but they didn't want me to be in the same position."

Little said an offer received from the University of Notre Dame on the Tuesday before Father's Day "changed the game" with Iowa.

"Jirehl waited a while and said he wanted to go through the whole process, and he was very up front about that," Little said. "Some schools thought he was waiting for an offer from the big three in the Midwest -- Ohio State, Michigan or Notre Dame.

"When he got the Notre Dame (offer), what was happening was they were trying to get another guy to move. It was like, 'This guy won't make a decision, so now we're going to offer Jirehl Brock.' And Iowa was like, 'We've got to go now.'"

Latest posts