New Podcast....

o
Guys- so what if we do "open it up"? If you don't have the talent, opening it up isn't going to do anything. So what if the Cincinnati Bengals open it up. Open it up as much as you want, not enough firepower.

On the flip side of this I don't really see the pieces in place for them to be the traditional Ferentz style team either. There will not be a dominate offensive line with a bell cow running back. Hard to flip the field and play defense when your punter can't punt it 40 yards and the defense can't defend like they used to.

We have a runningback that pretty much broke every record there is for runningback drills. He also over took the senior starter on the depth chart early in fall practice which is unheard of under Kirk. We also have a qb with probably the best arm we've had in 30 years, who can also run. Those are the 2 most important positions on offense and they are huge upgrades from last year. We don't have the talent to beat top 10 teams but we have the talent to beat our jv schedule.

Last edited:
It all comes down to this. Rudock's definition of open should have been enough to keep him off the field. When CJ throws the balls that Jake was supposed to throw, there will be far a less talk about opening it up.

Barry sanders can't be the best runningist back ever behind a bad line. Until lsd produces in some games, we're just talking bout drills....

AND lsd is injury prone, so I'd like to see him for a couple games before I say that "we are back" and actually have a stud in the backfield.AND that senior he beat out is like 5'2 147 pounds.AND that golden cannon can't throw 48 bombs per game. Defenses might wise up to that as well.So outside of a drill stud rb with like 50 carries to his name in two years, a very suspect line, one decent receiver, and a qb with a good arm, just what are we gonna open up?

Bomb bomb bomb reverse jet sweep fumbleooski Statue of Liberty bomb reverse ... Says Iowa fan dumb guy. Geez, get a clue Kurt

This isn't the Kurt Warner Rams were talking about here guys. It's like your telling Kurt to open up his 1982 550 Honda Shadow. Vroom vroom *******

And let's not get carried away with Goldie as a runner. He's no JTBarrett... He is serviceable as a runner. Not to mention, not sure how durable he is so calling for him to run when we are asking them to open it up mY be the beginning of the end of him and any chance we have.

And all I heard is that lsd broke the shuttle record for rb's. Maybe I missed all the other records he broke, but I just heard the one....

Talent is not the issue just like it hasn't been for the last 5 years.

If you refuse to take chances and refuse to game plan in a way that attempts to exploit mismatches you won't win much.

If we were in the east division then yes talent would be the problem.

Any decent coach should be able to take this roster and win 9/10 games against this weak of a schedule.

Pau Rhodes could get ISU to a bowl against this schedule.

Danials supposedly broke the shuttle run, 10 yard dash and bench press record for runningbacks. Breaking one of them is good but all 3 is really impressive. I'm not saying he will for sure be a stud based soley off that, but he would have to be pretty deficient in other aspects to not at least be good.

Also you shouldn't make light of him passing Canzeri on the depth chart. Last I checked Kirk is still the coach so any time that happens, especially when it happens to a senior, it's a big deal. Normally in this situation, Kirk would leave the depth chart the same even if he knew Danials would get more carries. The fact that he didn't means that either he is way better than Canzeri, or Kirk has turned over a new leaf.

Canzeri should not see the field for more than 2-3 carries per game long as Danials is healthy. That being said, he will probably get 80% of the carries.

It all comes down to this. Rudock's definition of open should have been enough to keep him off the field. When CJ throws the balls that Jake was supposed to throw, there will be far a less talk about opening it up.

Yep. There are folks that will not agree, but I don't think we have to see any crazy "opening up", we simply need to keep defenses honest and improve the running game. 4-5 more 10-15+ yard completions (attempt won't do it) per game and a RB who can see a hole, cut back, and rattle off a few breaks....will do wonders.

Folks, the last 3 years saw next to nothing from a vertical threat, and team we played knew it, they could bracket our receivers and play 9 guys up. Combine that with little to no threat of a rb being able to break away, you are "playing in a phone booth"(I loved MW but even with a huge hole he was limited to 8-15 yard runs, thus, defenses could always take the first two steps forward, and the defensive line could always overpursue)

15-20 yard completions do the same thing as go routes, in terms of backing up a def. Especially if you have YAC. Hard to get YAC if the ball is late or off target.

I'm not saying we don't need wrinkles and more aggressive call, or that we have the talent to play a ultra conservative offensive gameplan. I do think all of the "open up the offense" talk is little overstated.

In addition to more vertical passing, YAC opportunities, and a better run game, I will be just as interested in clock management, aggression, and "organization", of the staff...all of which I will not argue have been nothing short of really bad in about 2-3 games a year the past 5 years (and 2004...lol)

Talent is not the issue just like it hasn't been for the last 5 years.

If you refuse to take chances and refuse to game plan in a way that attempts to exploit mismatches you won't win much.

If we were in the east division then yes talent would be the problem.

Any decent coach should be able to take this roster and win 9/10 games against this weak of a schedule.

Pau Rhodes could get ISU to a bowl against this schedule.

I agree with everything, except I believe 8-9 wins is the barometer (this year) and I don't think isu does any better.

Canzeri should not see the field for more than 2-3 carries per game long as Danials is healthy. That being said, he will probably get 80% of the carries.

I still believe Canzeri should get 6-8 carries, if healthy(which has been a big if). If he gets more than 10 carries per game, I'll be very surprised. Unless we have a rb who's on fire, I don't want any of them to have more than 20 carries per game..

Agree with OP. Kirk is in survival mode now. He knows it. Too many years of staying stagnant led to MSU, Wisky, and now - Minnesota - pass us by

Latest posts