New look at Big Ten Divisions with OSU/Michigan on Opposite Sides

Just for the record, Jon...I posted this below on June 27th right here at this site.

Western Division

Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan State

Eastern Division
Illinois
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Indiana

Glad you've come around Jon! =)

Division B looks much more competitive from top to bottom than Division A. In Division A there is OSU & PSU and then the level of competition drops off rather dramatically. Division B has everyone but Minnesota beating up each other. I would prefer that Michigan & OSU were placed in the same division however Delaney hasn't yet asked me to weigh-in on the subject.

I agree with the thought that if they are splitting Michigan and OSU, it is hard to see it any other way than what you described. However, it does violate the Alvarez rule. Do you think that Barry was just trying to get in front of this before the West (I'd call it the North) got screwed?

Last edited:
West:

Nebraska
Michigan State
Iowa
Illinois
Northwestern
Michigan

East:

Wisconsin
Indiana
Purdue
Minnesota
Ohio State
Penn State

There are six teams that need to be split 3/3 and those are Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. No way 4 of those teams end up in the same division.

Everyone is assuming that the big ten is going to expand again and I think that nobody is calculating that into the divisions. Placing Penn state in the west , then adding Rutgers and somebody else and their in opposite divisions makes no sense. I could see the West being more stacked for the moment. Then when you add a couple more good teams you swith NW and Ill over to the West and you got more balanced divisions.

Last edited:
I agree BS, but I'm afraid the powers that be are only concerned with splitting 4 teams: OSU, Michigan, Nebrask and Penn St.

Cross rivals
Michigan / Ohio State (the game)
Michigan St / Indiana (Old Brass Spittoon)
Nebraska / Penn State (contrived)
Iowa / Illinois (we need an Illowa Trophy)
Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin in some combination

Last edited:
Anyone else think may Michigan was campaigning to be in the "West"?

"Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conquering heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conquering heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The champions of the West!"

Been saying this all along.

This also sets up the conference to have four pod drivers if the superconference move happens down the line.

However, remember Barry's comments about 6 teams that have separated themselves.

Hard to see four in one division and two in the other.

So, don't be surprised to see Wisky and Iowa get split.

Last edited:
Everyone is assuming that the big ten is going to expand again and I think that nobody is calculating that into the divisions. Placing Penn state in the west , then adding Rutgers and somebody else and their in opposite divisions makes no sense. I could see the West being more stacked for the moment. Then when you add a couple more good teams you swith NW and Ill over to the West and you got more balanced divisions.

As CAAR said, we're likely to see 4 pods when we get to 16, and whatever divisions they pick now wont matter. That said, they still need to get this right, because we might not get to 16 for many years, if ever.

This also sets up the conference to have four pod drivers if the superconference move happens down the line.

I agree that we will see 4 pods if we see a 16 team league

However, remember Barry's comments about 6 teams that have separated themselves.

I'm starting to wonder if Barry just saw this coming and wanted to get out in front of it to try and prevent it.

Hard to see four in one division and two in the other.

I agree, but there is no other clean way to split it if Michigan is in the West/North with Nebraska

So, don't be surprised to see Wisky and Iowa get split.

No way, that is way too ugly of a map

Not really, pretty easy to switch Wisky and Illinois. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see it look like the Boss has it here.

Last edited:
Not really, pretty easy to split Wisky and Illinois.
splitting a state is ugly, IMO

I saw an okay solution in the other thread

North / AKA West
Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern

South / AKA East
Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

If OSU and Michigan end up in separate divisions yet play at the end of the regular season, I'm going to be ******.

The worst thing that could happen to the conference would be to even allow the potential of teams to play in back-to-back weekends in the regular season and then the championship game. As I said before it would be suicide for the conference.

West:

Nebraska: Penn State, Wisconsin
Michigan State: Penn State, Purdue
Iowa: Wisconsin, Minnesota
Illinois: Ohio State, Indiana
Northwestern: Purdue, Indiana
Michigan: Ohio State, Minnesota

East:

Wisconsin: Nebraska, Iowa
Indiana: Illinois, Northwestern
Purdue: Michigan State, Northwestern
Minnesota: Michigan, Iowa
Ohio State: Michigan, Illinois
Penn State: Michigan State, Nebrasska

There are six teams that need to be split 3/3 and those are Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. No way 4 of those teams end up in the same division.

I've now added the protected rtivals above

To the best of my knowledge these are the Big 10's trophy games:

Penn State - Michigan State
Wisky - Iowa
Wisky - Sota
Michigan - Ohio State
Mighigan - Michigan State
Michigan - Minnesota
Indiana -= Purdue
Illinois - N'Western

Future Trophys:

Nebby - Iowa
Nebby - Penn State

If OSU and Michigan end up in separate divisions yet play at the end of the regular season, I'm going to be ******.

The worst thing that could happen to the conference would be to even allow the potential of teams to play in back-to-back weekends in the regular season and then the championship game. As I said before it would be suicide for the conference.

it's absolutely ridiculous for any two teams to play twice in a season

it is beyond ridiculous for them to play consecutively

that said, I couldn't care less when the Michigan/OSU is, because Michigan ain't playing in the Big Ten title game any time soon!

Latest posts