New Knee

ATLHawkeye

I know this should probably be in the Off Topic forum, but it's actually football related.

Many years ago I totally blew our my right knee playing running back. Several years later, I'm typing this from my hospital room after having a total knee replacement of that same knee earlier today.

I'm relatively young for a knee replacement, but decided I'd rather have the next 10 or 15 years be good ones, knowing I'll probably outlive this one rather then wait 10 or 15 years so that it will only need to be done once.

Anybody else had a knee replacement? So far so good. I had it done today and have already been up and walking around the hallways of the hospital. Truly amazing when you think about it. Heck, I was in the hospital for almost a week when I had the original ACL, PCL (and a bunch of other "stuff") surgery years ago.

Oh... and... Go Hawks!

will send you a PM shortly. you'll do fine. see tons of these. just make sure to do your exercises!

I know this should probably be in the Off Topic forum, but it's actually football related.

Many years ago I totally blew our my right knee playing running back. Several years later, I'm typing this from my hospital room after having a total knee replacement of that same knee earlier today.

I'm relatively young for a knee replacement, but decided I'd rather have the next 10 or 15 years be good ones, knowing I'll probably outlive this one rather then wait 10 or 15 years so that it will only need to be done once.

Anybody else had a knee replacement? So far so good. I had it done today and have already been up and walking around the hallways of the hospital. Truly amazing when you think about it. Heck, I was in the hospital for almost a week when I had the original ACL, PCL (and a bunch of other "stuff") surgery years ago.

Oh... and... Go Hawks!

I had back surgery(granted not major) a couple of years ago and it was an outpatient surgery and I only missed a week of work. Thank god for modern medicine!

Oh... and... Go Hawks!

Just wait until tomorrow. Second day is always the worst. Usually they'll mix ya up a nice lil cocktail of narcotics post-surgery. Tomorrow will test your pain tolerance. But, as you said, you're young. You'll do just fine.

Just wait until tomorrow. Second day is always the worst. Usually they'll mix ya up a nice lil cocktail of narcotics post-surgery. Tomorrow will test your pain tolerance. But, as you said, you're young. You'll do just fine.

Yeah, this is what they tell me... I have 100 Oxycodone waiting for me at home just in case. :D

I had back surgery(granted not major) a couple of years ago and it was an outpatient surgery and I only missed a week of work. Thank god for modern medicine!

Disagree Double... it's ALWAYS major surgery when it's on you. Minor surgery is only when it's on somebody else. ;)

Yeah... I know I use way too many smileys.

Oh... and... Go Hawks!

How old are you now, ATL?

Oh... and... Go Hawks!

I have been in healthcare for a long long time. The DePuy hardware has been going through some challenging court issues lately as did a company called Sulzer a few years back. For my money Styrker and Zimmer are the best followed by Smith & Nephew. But the biggest determinant of a good outcome is the cutter. Hopefully you checked out the surgeon thoroughly before going under.

I'm 30 and had my knee replaced 2 years ago.

1st day = easy.

2nd day = total *****! but if the docs love ya they'll get you all hopped up on drugs

3rd day forward = smooth sailing

The best news I can give you is that once you're 100% healed the knee will feel just as good or better as it did before

Glad to hear it is going well thus far. I have to go get mine checked out as well. They crack and pop all the time. They have been doing this for years now, but it has gotten really bad, when they pop now it sends me the rest of the way to the floor and it takes me awhile to get back up.
I have been nervous about getting them looked at due to horror stories I have heard. Keep us updated please.

Oh... and... Go Hawks!

I'm 30 and had my knee replaced 2 years ago.

1st day = easy.

2nd day = total *****! but if the docs love ya they'll get you all hopped up on drugs

3rd day forward = smooth sailing

The best news I can give you is that once you're 100% healed the knee will feel just as good or better as it did before

Holy mouse turds! 30 years old is young. I'm 38 and have been told I will be a candidate in the next few years. Are you able to run, jog, etc.?

This thread is an interesting read on running after the TKR. If you read the thread, there's a guy named Jerry Brooks who has had both knees done and ran in several races over the last ten years.

http://www.runnersworld.com/communi...ntion/injuries/running-after-knee-replacement

Last edited:
Holy mouse turds! 30 years old is young. I'm 38 and have been told I will be a candidate in the next few years. Are you able to run, jog, etc.?

This thread is an interesting read on running after the TKR. If you read the thread, there's a guy named Jerry Brooks who has had both knees done and ran in several races over the last ten years.

Running after knee replacement: Injuries: Runner's World Forums

I was a thrower in college on the track team. My sophomore year it was raining during a meet and I slipped and tore my meniscus, almost in half. I went in for surgery on a Friday morning and everything went great. I went home that afternoon and was walking around a bit feeling really good. I woke up the next morning and it looked like I had a basketball under my wrap. Come to find out I had developed Staph infection and gout in my knee. The doctor didn't want to see me until Monday morning so I spent the weekend in excruciating pain. Went in on Monday and they went to drain the fluid from my knee and it was a really dark brown color. Ended up going by ambulance for emergency surgery where they opened my knee up, cleaned it, inserted 4 tubes, and put me in the hospital for a week. After they yanked the tubes out I had an IV bag I had to carry around for 2 months with antibiotics flowing 24/7. I couldn’t walk for close to a month and my leg atrophied in a natural resting position which caused me to go through 3 months of physical therapy to make it bend again. Then in the end the infection was so severe it ate away at the cartilage in my knee.

6 years after tearing it I had to go in for a replacement because when I would run, play golf, or do anything active it would be bone on bone rubbing together.

Now 2 years later it was the right thing to do. The first 2-3 months were tough, you have to go through physical therapy and your activities are very limited. Today my knee feels great. I can do everything I did before surgery, but now there’s no pain. Unfortunately they only last about 15-20 years before you have to do it again.

Sorry for the long explanation.

I was a thrower in college on the track team. My sophomore year it was raining during a meet and I slipped and tore my meniscus, almost in half. I went in for surgery on a Friday morning and everything went great. I went home that afternoon and was walking around a bit feeling really good. I woke up the next morning and it looked like I had a basketball under my wrap. Come to find out I had developed Staph infection and gout in my knee. The doctor didn't want to see me until Monday morning so I spent the weekend in excruciating pain. Went in on Monday and they went to drain the fluid from my knee and it was a really dark brown color. Ended up going by ambulance for emergency surgery where they opened my knee up, cleaned it, inserted 4 tubes, and put me in the hospital for a week. After they yanked the tubes out I had an IV bag I had to carry around for 2 months with antibiotics flowing 24/7. I couldn’t walk for close to a month and my leg atrophied in a natural resting position which caused me to go through 3 months of physical therapy to make it bend again. Then in the end the infection was so severe it ate away at the cartilage in my knee.

6 years after tearing it I had to go in for a replacement because when I would run, play golf, or do anything active it would be bone on bone rubbing together.

Now 2 years later it was the right thing to do. The first 2-3 months were tough, you have to go through physical therapy and your activities are very limited. Today my knee feels great. I can do everything I did before surgery, but now there’s no pain. Unfortunately they only last about 15-20 years before you have to do it again.

Sorry for the long explanation.

Holy balls! You poor guy. That makes my ACL surgery seem like nothing.

I'm sure I'll have to have my knee(s) replaced one day. I hope not, but it seems pretty inevitable.

On that 7th day, instead of being a lazy bum, he should've worked more on constructing the knee (and back). I kid, I kid :).

Good luck with your recovery, ATLHawk. Keep us updated.

Good luck ATL. Keep up the therapy and you will be fine. My mother had her knee done 4 years ago and is doing great (for her age, 87).

I have been in healthcare for a long long time. The DePuy hardware has been going through some challenging court issues lately as did a company called Sulzer a few years back. For my money Styrker and Zimmer are the best followed by Smith & Nephew. But the biggest determinant of a good outcome is the cutter. Hopefully you checked out the surgeon thoroughly before going under.

I did quite a bit of research on the surgeon and the one I settled on is pretty much considered to be the best, or one of the best, in Atlanta. Glad to hear your hardware recommendations as he used the Stryker knee. He said he's been using that one for a long time and has had very few issues with them.

Latest posts