New head coach search starts in . . .

we could hope for a bad enough season that he just gives up and throws in the towel and resigns but who does Iowa go replace him with. We all want a Marquee coach but we all know that will never happen. Might as well get used to being average at best. If youre all Cubs fans this should be easy for you. "there's always next year"

The annual get rid of Kirk Ferentz campaign after a ridiculous loss. Seems it was Minnesota the last two years.

we could hope for a bad enough season that he just gives up and throws in the towel and resigns but who does Iowa go replace him with. We all want a Marquee coach but we all know that will never happen. Might as well get used to being average at best. If youre all Cubs fans this should be easy for you. "there's always next year"

Thanks for that positive note. I'm a Cubs fan and an Iowa fan.. I find myself wondering more and more these days why I bother torturing myself.

Thanks for that positive note. I'm a Cubs fan and an Iowa fan.. I find myself wondering more and more these days why I bother torturing myself.

Im both as well.. I just used the Cubs season to prepare me for the iowa season so i wouldnt be disappointed with being mediocre at best

This is year two of the down cycle. Next year Iowa will start slow and then put together some wins at the end of the year and either win a bowl game to get to 7 wins, or lose a bowl game after getting 7 wins.

The next year things will go northward again.

Wouldn't this be year 3 of 7 or less wins? 2010,11,12...

I asked this in another thread... did you complain at the time of the extension? Just went 10-2 and won the Orange Bowl.

As time goes on, it becomes clearer and clearer that the 2009 team was really no different than any of the others since 2005, other than that the really close calls were finally going their way. Remember how they got there: they needed two blocked field goals to beat UNI, a last-second touchdown pass at Michigan State, and only defeated a team from the Sun Belt by three points. Not to downplay what that team accomplished, it was truly a special year. But in no way did it warrant signing away a decade of the program and at that price. 3 or 4 years, maybe...but 10? Please.

Man Ive been saying this for a long time. I hope everyone that has called me a bad fan has a shatty day.

I don't think you're a bad fan, I think you're annoying and unintelligent.

I'd wish you a great day, but I know you are an angry and joyless person.

Last edited:
As time goes on, it becomes clearer and clearer that the 2009 team was really no different than any of the others since 2005, other than that the really close calls were finally going their way.

It was pretty obvious that was the case even back then. That team was waaaay lucky and the ensuing 7-5 year was no surprise to me.

Any time I think of Kirk's salary of $3.85 million I do often ask why we are regularly getting beat by coaches who make 1/3 of what he makes. We all know what Kirk has meant to the program and how he rebuilt it back up after Hayden's final years. But outside of Kirk's first two years, this is the first time I have felt and witnessed that this is a team that is not going to get better.

Losing at home to a MAC team ranked #116 (USA Today) in the country does not leave a lot of room for optimism. When you focus on the last three years and the DIRECTION we are headed you can't simply turn the other way. Next year will be even less kind from a schedule perspective. The Big 10 is down this year -- way down. And yet we are a non-factor in a poor conference.

It just seems like the game has passed us by. The offense and defense we run is simply not working. This is not just a case of "young players" and "not executing." The problem is bigger than that when you use at home to a very bad Central Michigan team. There is no excuse losing to Central Michigan. On our worst day we should beat this team by 3 scores.

I am just as frustrated as the rest of you. Will fans continue to accept losing to lesser opponents? Will they settle for 6 or 7 wins for the next couple of years? I don't know. Time will tell. The University of Iowa has shown its commitment to football (facility upgrades, coaches salaries, etc.) and we simply aren't seeing a good product on the field. When our coach is paid among the top 10 of all college programs shouldn't we expect more? Should we expect losses to the ISU's, Minnesota's, Northwestern's and Central Michigan's of the world?

Bill Snyder has turned Kansas State around -- twice ... And he has done it at a school with no football tradition, small population base, little fan support, and a relatively small salary. When it comes to fan support and facilities, we are not a Purdue, Northwestern, Central Michigan, Iowa State, etc. So why shouldn't we have higher expectations?

As time goes on, it becomes clearer and clearer that the 2009 team was really no different than any of the others since 2005, other than that the really close calls were finally going their way. Remember how they got there: they needed two blocked field goals to beat UNI, a last-second touchdown pass at Michigan State, and only defeated a team from the Sun Belt by three points. Not to downplay what that team accomplished, it was truly a special year. But in no way did it warrant signing away a decade of the program and at that price. 3 or 4 years, maybe...but 10? Please.
Also had the miracle Sash interception that year against Indiana to turn the game around.

Again, I didn't hear anyone complaining at the time. If someone can go back in teh archives and prove they just thought the team was average and lucky back in 2010, I'll give you 10,000 vDollars.

If not, STFU. I can stand the biotching about the current team, but not this lame-ass hindsight biotching.

The 09 team was lucky in retrospect and the 10 team was a good team that was really unlucky. None of this stuff if fun to admit while it's going on though. Anyone Iowa fan who would have said "We're lucky" over and over again in 2009 deserved a kick in the nuts because you were ruining the fun. Besides, the rest of the country said that enough.

Hell, it's still kind of annoying nowadays because I loved that team.

The annual get rid of Kirk Ferentz campaign after a ridiculous loss. Seems it was Minnesota the last two years.

It will be of epic proportions next weekend if we lose (if people even still care by that point). I seem to think we will win next weekend though. This Iowa team is ****** off right now and is looking for somebody to take it out on. Normally I'd be flaming and going apeshit about losing, but I think I'm not this time around due to 2 reasons: 1. I'm older now and am better able to keep things in perspective. Hopefully this is part of it, but I think the bigger and main reason is: 2. Because I'm used to this ****. It doesn't surprise me at all that we lost yesterday. Kirk Ferentz is a HORRIBLE gameday coach. It's almost like he tries to keep it close. Mind-boggling.

We all know that we can't fire him (well the ones of us that have any amount of intelligence), so what we need to do is go out and spend some $$$ to bring in somebody who actually knows what the **** they're doing on offense (implementing a new system, adding wrinkles, whatever it may be, etc.) and then not let Kirk have ANY control on gameday. Let him control everything else every other day of the week, but NOTHING on Saturdays.

Latest posts