New hawkeye

What a wonderful world!

[video=youtube;Mec6z8Wtx4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mec6z8Wtx4E[/video]

Haven't heard, but I'd assume fullback. Could be a good special teams player fairly quickly. Was an excellent running back for fort dodge. State champion wrestler, and started at linebacker as well.

Welcome Sam. Many players have walked on at IOWA and left as a huge contributor. Looking forward to watching you play.

I don't have a lot of time to keep up on things on this forum but has there been any news on Ott yet? His return could be a big lift to the defense especially in our weakest area last year...... Pass rush.

What's a preferred walkon? Is that like a greyshirt?

It means a guy didn't want a scholly. He preferred to walk on :)

It's true, all the "preferred walk-on" and "grayshirt" stuff is too confusing. Why can't they just say, "He'll be showing up and trying to earn a spot on the field come September"?

Great info, thanks for that link.

I'm still confused on "grayshirt". Is that a guy who comes in mid-year or an early entry that doesn't get "full" scholly benefits for first year?

A greyshirt is a player who comes in and has to pay his own way his first year. I think it requires some trust on the players part, as the scholarship isn't in writing at this point. They then get a full ride scholarship the following year.

The article says preferred walk-on can't get a scholarship until their 3rd year, otherwise it counts against the 25 player per class limit. Based on that, I imagine there is a similar rule for greyshirts. But Iowa never seems to sign 25 players for each class, so there must be some wiggle room there.

But the other key limit is 85 scholarships total. That's probably the harder limit to meet. So you would think once a player leaves, dropping below 85, a greyshirt or PWO should be able to get a Scholarship right away without penalty, as long as the team keeps the total at 85 or below. Right?

He's undersized, carried the load for Fort Dodge, top notch competition shut him down, could be a special teams guy, not the fastest player, but hard nosed