New Hawkeye Assistant

RobHowe

Administrator
Had someone reach out to me last night saying they heard Jay Niemann, Iowa native and father of Ben and Nick, is expected to be named Iowa’s 10th assistant coach, replacing the retired Reese Morgan.

I reached out to someone close to the situation today. He told me he was wasn’t at liberty to discuss it at the point. So, no denial.

It would make sense. Jay has ties in the state, to the program and is an experienced coach, his last two jobs being DC at Rutgers and NIU.

KF said at the beginning of spring that the new assistant would be on defense.

Had someone reach out to me last night saying they heard Jay Niemann, Iowa native and father of Ben and Nick, is expected to be named Iowa’s 10th assistant coach, replacing the retired Reese Morgan.

I reached out to someone close to the situation today. He told me he was wasn’t at liberty to discuss it at the point. So, no denial.

It would make sense. Jay has ties in the state, to the program and is an experienced coach, his last two jobs being DC at Rutgers and NIU.

They are doing this all wrong. They are supposed to hire the dad first, and then get his sons as recruits as a result.

But in all seriousness, good to add someone with DC experience to the fold. That would make 3 DCs on staff, and 3 OCs on staff.

I’d hop off that train wreck before it fully catches fire too. Maybe we can save money on the bus ticket if we have him and Vokolek ride together.

In all seriousness they guy would be a total idiot not to latch on to a real team when he had the chance. If his character is anything like his kids’, he’ll be a perfect fit. Rutgers is already bad and players are running for the doors.

He wasn't retained by Rutgers after last season. AJ Blazek left on his own, I believe. He landed at NDSU.

Jay Niemann landed with Les Miles at KU as an analyst in January and then took the LB coach job with Greg Bohl at Wyoming in February.

I am confused. I thought Bell was promoted to the new DL coach, and Iowa was looking for a new young coach to fill the recruiting coordinator job.

I am confused. I thought Bell was promoted to the new DL coach, and Iowa was looking for a new young coach to fill the recruiting coordinator job.

They said they were going to redistribute recruiting duties internally, so the new guy would not be a recruiting coordinator.

He wasn't retained by Rutgers after last season. AJ Blazek left on his own, I believe. He landed at NDSU.

Jay Niemann landed with Les Miles at KU as an analyst in January and then took the LB coach job with Greg Bohl at Wyoming in February.

So now Niemann is moving again to Iowa in April/May? I guess you can forgive him since this will be a chance to coach his son, but otherwise all that jumping in 1 year would seem strange.

So sounds like he will be a postion coach on the defense. Do you think he will coach LB's so he can coach his son? Will he and Wallace be co-LB coaches?

I wrote about the assistant hire back at the beginning of spring when KF addressed it:

LINK

In addition, KF said the new hire likely would help Bell with the DL.

Can anyone speak to the hallmarks of the defenses he has coordinated? What are the key points of his philosophy?

So now Niemann is moving again to Iowa in April/May? I guess you can forgive him since this will be a chance to coach his son, but otherwise all that jumping in 1 year would seem strange.

So sounds like he will be a postion coach on the defense. Do you think he will coach LB's so he can coach his son? Will he and Wallace be co-LB coaches?

Not really strange given what he's going to. He was at analyst at KU, then the oppty to be a position coach at Wyoming. Then the opportunity to be at Iowa as a full-time assistant based on a change (and his son is here). As assistants, you have to go where the opportunities are.

With a son on the team for a couple years and one in KC with the Chiefs he could see more frequently we would seem to be a good landing spot all considered. I doubt at his age he's vying for more asst. coaching moves around the country after this one.....if he's the one. A wealth of experience for sure.

Former ISU player and grad :)

Chris Ash and Nieman go way back, I think Nieman coached Ash at ISU. Nieman then went on to coach Simpson for 7-8 years then he moved to to Northern Illinois and Ash took him to Rutgers. I don't know if Nieman grew up in IOwa but I'd guess he did so his Iowa ties go way back.

Isn't Keegan Rendeer from Indianola? I remember some stories saying how he grew up with the Nieman brothers and played football with them until they moved to DeKalb. They were reunited at Iowa.

Ash is trying to save his job and be successful at Rutgers. I'm sure it was hard for him to part ways with Nieman but, hey, it happens in coaching. When you job is on the line you make wholesale changes.

Jay is from Avoca, IA. Played football for the clowns, ironically, then coached at Drake, UNI, and was HC at Simpson for some time, before moving up to NIU.

Jay Niemann's Coaching Experience
2019- Wyoming, Linebackers
2016-18 Rutgers, Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
2011-15 Northern Illinois, Defensive Coordinator/Safeties
2008-10 Hardin-Simmons, Co-Defensive Coordinator/Secondary
2002-07 Simpson College, Head Coach
1999-00 Northern Iowa, Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1998 Northern Iowa, Linebackers
1997, 2001 Northern Iowa, Secondary
1995-96 Drake, Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach
1989-94 Drake, Secondary
1986-88 Washington, Graduate Assistant Football Coach for the Secondary and Linebackers
1985 Western Washington, Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers

1989-94 Drake, Secondary
1986-88 Washington, Graduate Assistant Football Coach for the Secondary and Linebackers

I guess he isn't gonna help with DL then?

1989-94 Drake, Secondary
I know this is perfectly normal in the coaching world and many coaches make way more moves, but holy shit.

I’ve had the same job for the last 16 years and lived in the same town I was born in for 32 of my 38 years (lived in AZ for 6 years when I was a kid). I can’t even fathom bouncing around the country like that. Hell, my parents bought the house I live in in 1996 and I bought it from my mom when my dad died. I couldn’t do it.

Out of curiosity I just looked at the current Rutgers coaching staff. There is only one name I recognize, WR Coach - Lester Erb.

I know this is perfectly normal in the coaching world and many coaches make way more moves, but holy shit.

I’ve had the same job for the last 16 years and lived in the same town I was born in for 32 of my 38 years (lived in AZ for 6 years when I was a kid). I can’t even fathom bouncing around the country like that. Hell, my parents bought the house I live in in 1996 and I bought it from my mom when my dad died. I couldn’t do it.

I would think his travels would make the Iowa gig even that much more attractive. He’s definitely worked his way up the ladder.