New format for the state tournament

Another day out of school for all the "fans"....Does anyone think Sunday would work? too soon with late finals matches? I can see logistically this would be the only way to have it work well. Travel in once and leave once.

Pin...been roaming this forum for a while, thought I would join in on the madness.

Another day out of school for all the "fans"....Does anyone think Sunday would work? too soon with late finals matches? I can see logistically this would be the only way to have it work well. Travel in once and leave once.

Pin...been roaming this forum for a while, thought I would join in on the madness.

It's not another day out. In fact for most every school in the state it's one less day.
For those saying if you're a contender you wouldn't like this... have you ever talked to a wrestler who is a contender? They wrestle. It's what they do. They don't back down from challenges. They're not scared that they might lose to someone on Wednesday or beat them then lose to them later. I can't not believe the overly wussified reaction to this from the fans. It's like you're a bunch of basketball players and want everyone to get a ribbon just for participating. Wrestling is hard. The kids know this.

I'm more interested in the coaches opinions and the poster who said they didn't like it. The coaches I spoke to at state, and the ones USAF spoke to, have been in favor of this. I don't believe this move was made unilaterally but made after input from coaches. Weight classes too.

AustinHk, This decision was made in Boone. It was never discussed by the coaches committee.

It's not another day out. In fact for most every school in the state it's one less day.
For those saying if you're a contender you wouldn't like this... have you ever talked to a wrestler who is a contender? They wrestle. It's what they do. They don't back down from challenges. They're not scared that they might lose to someone on Wednesday or beat them then lose to them later. I can't not believe the overly wussified reaction to this from the fans. It's like you're a bunch of basketball players and want everyone to get a ribbon just for participating. Wrestling is hard. The kids know this.

I'm more interested in the coaches opinions and the poster who said they didn't like it. The coaches I spoke to at state, and the ones USAF spoke to, have been in favor of this. I don't believe this move was made unilaterally but made after input from coaches. Weight classes too.

I don't think anyone questions that Wrestling is a very physical and demanding sport. Hopefully the decision to host the state duals on a Wednesday works out great for the wrestlers, coaches, and fan base. I'm just hopeful that attendance does not significantly drop and negatively impact revenues. When hosting the state duals on a Saturday it was still difficult to pack fans into the U.S Cellular center even with large fan bases that were located close by. (Waverly, DB, IA City, CR, West Delaware, DT, Davenport, etc.)

Latest posts