New Cy-Hawk Series Trophy selected in landslide vote

Yeah, I'm not sure how you can say Kinnick was better than Jack Trice. More accomplished, okay... That is obvious. If memory serves me, Jack Trice played in one football game, hardly enough to quantify and compare with Kinnick.

I think they were both probably tremendous individuals with high character. Kinnick received notoriety for what he had done because of his accomplishments on the field. I don't think he was the only NCAA athlete to lose his life fighting for his country. Same with Jack Trice and breaking the color barrier, though I'm sure there is a very short list of people who were murdered in sports.

Why even argue which was better? How simple is your mind? Both are people this state can be very proud of and IMO the more exposure of these two nationally, the better this state looks.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you can say Kinnick was better than Jack Trice. More accomplished, okay... That is obvious. If memory serves me, Jack Trice played in one football game, hardly enough to quantify and compare with Kinnick.

I think they were both probably tremendous individuals with high character. Kinnick received notoriety for what he had done because of his accomplishments on the field. I don't think he was the only NCAA athlete to lose his life fighting for his country. Same with Jack Trice and breaking the color barrier, though I'm sure there is a very short list of people who were murdered in sports.

Why even argue which was better? How simple is your mind? Both are people this state can be very proud of and IMO the more exposure of these two nationally, the better this state looks.

Well...it's a trophy for a FOOTBALL game.

Nile Kinnick = Heisman Trophy winner
Jack Trick = played in one football game (no idea if that's true, just using your info)

In terms of football prowess...Nile Kinnick >>>>>> Jack Trice. It's not a personal attack on Trice, it's just the facts.

Jack Trick = played in one football game (no idea if that's true, just using your info)

In terms of football prowess...Nile Kinnick >>>>>> Jack Trice. It's not a personal attack on Trice, it's just the facts.

Bingo. But facts are tough for some people...everything has to be a personal attack, including their snarky response.

To use your definition of prowess.... because I guess we are comparing two animals. Prove to me that Nile Kinnick was technically more skilled than Jack Trice. Or, prove to me that Nile Kinnick was more brave than Jack Trice in relation to football.

You can't. It is impossible to compare the two because 1. Jack Trice didn't have a career and 2. you can't compare stats and accomplishments for two players who played different positions in different eras.

I'm not saying Jack Trice was a better football player. I'm saying it is impossible to determine. What you can say is that Nile Kinnick absolutely was more accomplished, as I stated before. That is logic. I love Nile Kinnick. For 3 years I have walked by his statue almost everyday and admired it. But I guess my mind is not simple enough to lay a blanket statement like NILE KINNICK >>>>>> JACK TRICE in football and then somehow claim it as a fact. Think of it this way, would Nile Kinnick have been a better tackle than Jack Trice? Maybe, but maybe not.

Take home message. Admire both individuals and stop trying to make an awkward comparison between them.

I can live with it. This trophy is way way way better than what they originally came up with. Kudos to Iowa Corn for listening to the fans and doing something about it and allowing the fans to vote on the design.

Kinnick is from the state of Iowa. He is a true Iowan. He won the Heisman. Died in the military. And was highly regarded as a scholar as well, many even believed he could have been the president. In my mind, he represents the state of Iowa a little bit differently than Trice.

Didn't care about this iteration, didn't care about the last and really didn't care about it when Hy-Vee was branding a corporate logo on a series. It's meaningless to me in terms of college football lore. I don't mind market capitalism and it's integration into sports as long as it doesn't go overboard. When jersey's start looking like NASCAR ads I'll probably quite watching.

In the grand scheme of things this is just a nice in state rivalry, but this is coming from the same guy that only ever acknowledged Candlestick Park and any other place that tried the corporate sellout.

Kinnick is from the state of Iowa. He is a true Iowan. He won the Heisman. Died in the military. And was highly regarded as a scholar as well, many even believed he could have been the president. In my mind, he represents the state of Iowa a little bit differently than Trice.
Perfect, you have Kinnick representing the state of Iowa.
And then you have Jack Trice representing Football. He did after all get trampled to death playing in his first game of football and is still the only African American football player to have a stadium named after him in D-1 football.

That's true. So, lets make a trophy about freaking corn. :rolleyes:

Nile Kinnick and Jack Trice are both iconic figures in each of their respective programs, both stadium are named after them. One was a Heisman Trophy winner and killed in the military. The other was the first African American athlete at ISU and was trampled to death in his first football game. Lots of history there.

Put that on a trophy, not corn.

This line of thinking is perhaps some of the stupidest blather ever seen on HN...and that's saying something.

No **** it's for a football game. Football games are played for all sorts of trophies; pigs, telephones, jugs, axes even a ****ing platypus.

No one is saying Trice is close to Kinnick in terms of football talent or accolades. This completely and totally misses the point. Jack Trice was a black man playing major college football in the early twenties. It took huge balls simply to leave home and do what he did knowing the hatred that existed on teams that he would play against who were not integrated.

Nile Kinnick is not beloved because of football only, he's beloved because of what he did off the field. Jack Trice is beloved for the same reason; he transcended football.

Putting the respective programs most beloved players on the trophy does indeed make perfect sense regardless of how may downs of football Trice played. Any educated UI Alum could comprehend this. Guessing you're not one.

Perfect, you have Kinnick representing the state of Iowa.
And then you have Jack Trice representing Football. He did after all get trampled to death playing in his first game of football and is still the only African American football player to have a stadium named after him in D-1 football.

You're right, because dying while serving your country isn't honorable. Based on the subsequent reply I am going to assume that wasn't your intent here.

Last edited:
That's true. So, lets make a trophy about freaking corn. :rolleyes:

Nile Kinnick and Jack Trice are both iconic figures in each of their respective programs, both stadium are named after them. One was a Heisman Trophy winner and killed in the military. The other was the first African American athlete at ISU and was trampled to death in his first football game. Lots of history there.

Put that on a trophy, not corn.

While I don't care about the trophy brought about because of corporate sponsorship I agree with this...if you're going to do a meaningful trophy this might be the best option to honor both men, both schools, the state of Iowa, college football and America as a whole.

Your previous reply seemed to be undermining what Kinnick did.

I didn't mean to take anything away from Trice. He was a good person and accomplished more than I could dream of doing myself.

I am still mad at UofI that they built that Kinnick statue outside of the stadium and did not have it walking on water. It would be horrible that we would have to endure Kinnick sharing a trophy with someone unworthy of his presence, and it is still a shame that Koert has been unable to field a team worthy of his honor in like 15 years.

Corn on the trophy makes sense, even if it wasn't sponsored by the Corngrowers association.

I don't think anyone said it didn't make sense.

*edit* Nevermind, I see which comment now. No, it should be no surprise seeing corn on an Iowa trophy, regardless.

To use your definition of prowess.... because I guess we are comparing two animals. Prove to me that Nile Kinnick was technically more skilled than The Big Human. Or, prove to me that Nile Kinnick was more brave than The Big Human in relation to football.

You can't. It is impossible to compare the two because 1. The Big Human didn't have a career and 2. you can't compare stats and accomplishments for two players who played different positions in different eras.

I'm not saying The Big Human was a better football player. I'm saying it is impossible to determine. What you can say is that Nile Kinnick absolutely was more accomplished, as I stated before. That is logic. I love Nile Kinnick. For 3 years I have walked by his statue almost everyday and admired it. But I guess my mind is not simple enough to lay a blanket statement like NILE KINNICK >>>>>> THE BIG HUMAN in football and then somehow claim it as a fact. Think of it this way, would Nile Kinnick have been a better tackle than The Big Human? Maybe, but maybe not.

Take home message. Admire both individuals and stop trying to make an awkward comparison between them.

Using this logic, Iowa's stadium should be renamed "The Big Human Stadium".

Latest posts