New clock rules. # plays/game etc.

dagdaj

Since I'm into numbers and the consequences of things, I'm very interested in this.
Following the clock rule changes to last year's (and fairly static numbers through the last several years)....

After 1 week:
FBS
avg # of plays down a little over 2 (~3%)
avg length of game down marginally (2 minutes)

FCS
avg # of plays down by ~3 (~4%)
avg length of game increase marginally (2 minutes)

D2:
avg # of plays down by ~2
avg length of game increase by 12 minutes

D3
Data is garbage-y. But will be interesting as there's historical data and the rules aren't changing there.

Very early data, obviously. Any outliers will have a bigger impact. And first games may obviously take a bit longer. Some supposition there's more pass attempts, but I can't find any data to back that up. This is I was talking about yesterday in regards to there being greater reward for scoring if there's fear that you will have one less posession. I think there's a shift in this that some coaches will need or want to consider.

From my first weekend of sitting on the couch watching games, I didn't feel like the games were shorter. But it sure seemed like I saw a lot more commercials. If they added media timeouts, I'm gonna be ticked. In the end, I think there will be little widespread impact. I think it will have a not insignificant impact on some teams. I'm ambivalent about how it affects Kirk and Iowa. I think in the end, the biggest impact will be if they don't shorten the broadcast by adding media timeouts....or extending commercial breaks with less 'game related' activity being broadcast. Just felt to me like I sat through a lot more commercials this weekend.

Since I'm into numbers and the consequences of things, I'm very interested in this.
Following the clock rule changes to last year's (and fairly static numbers through the last several years)....

After 1 week:
FBS
avg # of plays down a little over 2 (~3%)
avg length of game down marginally (2 minutes)

FCS
avg # of plays down by ~3 (~4%)
avg length of game increase marginally (2 minutes)

D2:
avg # of plays down by ~2
avg length of game increase by 12 minutes

D3
Data is garbage-y. But will be interesting as there's historical data and the rules aren't changing there.

Very early data, obviously. Any outliers will have a bigger impact. And first games may obviously take a bit longer. Some supposition there's more pass attempts, but I can't find any data to back that up. This is I was talking about yesterday in regards to there being greater reward for scoring if there's fear that you will have one less posession. I think there's a shift in this that some coaches will need or want to consider.

From my first weekend of sitting on the couch watching games, I didn't feel like the games were shorter. But it sure seemed like I saw a lot more commercials. If they added media timeouts, I'm gonna be ticked. In the end, I think there will be little widespread impact. I think it will have a not insignificant impact on some teams. I'm ambivalent about how it affects Kirk and Iowa. I think in the end, the biggest impact will be if they don't shorten the broadcast by adding media timeouts....or extending commercial breaks with less 'game related' activity being broadcast. Just felt to me like I sat through a lot more commercials this weekend.
Being at the game live it was absolutely ridiculous how many tv timeouts there were, as well as the length (3:30).

SEVERAL times both teams were ready and lined up to play, refs were ready, and the red shirted asshole was holding up the show for another 30 seconds.

The crowed booed significantly. It did absolutely nothing to shorten the game, all it did was add more media timeouts.

Baseball got it right with speeding up games, surprisingly.

Football needs to cut the play clock to 25 seconds. As long as both teams have the same amount of time it's completely fair.

Being at the game live it was absolutely ridiculous how many tv timeouts there were, as well as the length (3:30).

SEVERAL times both teams were ready and lined up to play, refs were ready, and the red shirted asshole was holding up the show for another 30 seconds.

The crowed booed significantly. It did absolutely nothing to shorten the game, all it did was add more media timeouts.

This is what I'm afraid of. I watched a lot of football in YouttubeTV multiview. Bouncing back and forth between 2-3 streams showing 4 games each. Arrow over to the one you want and that's the audio you get.
I can't tell you how many times I'd see commercials going on 3 of the 4 games. I'd bounce to one of the other streams....and it would have 3 commercials going.

If they're doing this, it's gonna tick me off.

1. Shorten halftime.
2. Like you said....shorten the playclock.

I know the money fuels it all. Charge more for less commercials? Seems pretty simple. I dunno if I'd prefer say an extra 30 seconds each media timeout in favor of one less timeout per half?

I think all football (college and NFL) should adopt the XFL replay system. Officials in "the booth" are responsible for it. And there's a camera and microphone on them so you can see what they're looking at and hear what they're saying. Don't bother trotting equipment out to the officials on the field.

There's nothing worse than media timeouts when you're at the game. There's literally nothing to do. You can't really get a quick pee in, cause everyone else is going too. You can't go get a beer. Sure, you can scroll TikTok....if you can get a signal. The in-game stuff is generally pretty lame or repetitive from game to game.

After 8 weeks

FBS
Game length down by 3 minutes
# of plays dropped by 1.5

FCS
Game length up 1 minute
# of plays dropped 1.9

D2
Game length increase of 4 minutes
# of plays dropped 2

D3 (no clock rule change)
Game length down by 1 minute