New Bracketology - Iowa a 7 Seed

1977Hawkeye

About what I expected after last night's win, Iowa up to a 7 seed:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Kind of ironic, last time Iowa was in a 7/10 game, they played Cincy.

Why wouldn't Iowa be the 7 seed in Omaha, though? I thought the committee always tried to keep teams as close to home as possible? Isn't that supposed to be the whole point of the new pod system? Or is it because it would be a 2nd round game with Wisconsin and they can't have Big 10 matchups that early?

About what I expected after last night's win, Iowa up to a 7 seed:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Kind of ironic, last time Iowa was in a 7/10 game, they played Cincy.

Why wouldn't Iowa be the 7 seed in Omaha, though? I thought the committee always tried to keep teams as close to home as possible? Isn't that supposed to be the whole point of the new pod system? Or is it because it would be a 2nd round game with Wisconsin and they can't have Big 10 matchups that early?

It's because it's a projection and it don't mean sh*t. Plus they only really accommodate the high seeds. There's always teams going far from home to play. Not saying Iowa won't get in Omaha... but it's not guaranteed.

I was at the game in Indianapolis when Iowa played Cincy. It was a terrible ugly game for Iowa. Just turrible. I almost gagged. One of my least favorite games I saw that weekend. I remember running into travelling Cyclone fans at a gas station on I-80 somewhere and they were headed to North Carolina to watch ISU play in the 1st round. They had to go a long ways further than Iowa did.

I'm pulling like hell for indy and illinois to get to the top 50 (gross). Two more extra top 50 wins may move us up a seed (plus, maybe 1 or 2 more in the BTT)

I'm pulling like hell for indy and illinois to get to the top 50 (gross). Two more extra top 50 wins may move us up a seed (plus, maybe 1 or 2 more in the BTT)

Yep. Plus IU beating MSU gives us a double-bye, assuming we beat NW.

So I'm assuming Wisconsin gets Omaha as a 2 seed no matter what, which keeps us out of that site. So we also need Wisconsin to move up to a #1 seed, or the Hawks to move up to a 5/6 or so. I'll take the latter. :cool:

BoooohYEAH

When Hawkeyes roll through the BigTenTourney in Chicago, perhaps we'll get that up to a
4!.........

OK, I'm a bit optimistic, but why the heck not

Yep. Plus IU beating MSU gives us a double-bye, assuming we beat NW.

So I'm assuming Wisconsin gets Omaha as a 2 seed no matter what, which keeps us out of that site. So we also need Wisconsin to move up to a #1 seed, or the Hawks to move up to a 5/6 or so. I'll take the latter. :cool:

I am betting that Kansas gets the #2 seed in Omaha. That would make it a possibility for Iowa to play in Omaha.

Any chance if Iowa stays at the 7 we'd get matched up with 2 Kansas bracket in Omaha? I'd love that be hard ticket to get though

Palm was on BTN last night and he said more than ever the committee is trying to put teams as close to home as possible for their fans because thats what the fans want more than anything. So even if Wisconsin is the best 2 seed they would probably still be put with Kentucky because of location.

I tend to listen to Palm a lot more than friggin Lunardi

Palm was on BTN last night and he said more than ever the committee is trying to put teams as close to home as possible for their fans because thats what the fans want more than anything. So even if Wisconsin is the best 2 seed they would probably still be put with Kentucky because of location.

I tend to listen to Palm a lot more than friggin Lunardi

If Wisconsin stays at the 2 seed then there is no shot of the hawks coming to Omaha. Another reason that you want to see Wisky go down to the gophers (which could very well happen)...

**edit -- one of the two 2/7 games.

Last edited:
Time to win the BTT and move up to a 6, maybe 5 but unlikely

Win the BTT with a win over Wisconsin along the way and we get to a 5 IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if we got to a 4 in this scenario. We're talking a 9 or 10 game winning streak depending on our seed in BTT. This streak includes wins at Indiana, against Wisconsin on a neutral floor and likely over 2 other quality opponents on a neutral floor.

Loonardi has us at a 7 v. Oregon (and Dana Altman, former and revered Creighton coach) in Omaha.

If we're in Omaha, me and the boys are taking a road trip.

By boys I mean my 2 and 4 year old.

Win the BTT with a win over Wisconsin along the way and we get to a 5 IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if we got to a 4 in this scenario. We're talking a 9 or 10 game winning streak depending on our seed in BTT. This streak includes wins at Indiana, against Wisconsin on a neutral floor and likely over 2 other quality opponents on a neutral floor.

Win the BTT and it's a 4 minimum.

Latest posts