New Bowls for the Big Ten

morley10

With the power of the Big Ten can’t they get better fan friendly sites than New York City? How about Hawaii or Las Vegas when they build the new domed stadium for the Raiders. Any other suggestions?

For the betterment of the BTN cable subscription numbers, aka $$$$, and for conference recruiting exposure, it is a very good business decision to play a bowl in the NY/NJ/east coast metroplex.....IMHO, of course.

Or, just ask Akrum if it was a good idea.

For the betterment of the BTN cable subscription numbers, aka $$$$, and for conference recruiting exposure, it is a very good business decision to play a bowl in the NY/NJ/east coast metroplex.....IMHO, of course.

Or, just ask Akrum if it was a good idea.

Well spend some more bucks and get that bowl moved to a nearby new pro football stadium as mentioned earlier

Let's call a Bowl Game in Yankee Stadium in late December what it is...flat out freaking stupid. New York may be great to visit at Christmas time for shopping and the festive atmosphere, but it's no where to be playing football...especially on a frozen field with no heating coils to keep the ground soft and traction safe.

The Big Ten needs to stop this fiasco unless they move the field choice in the New Jersey/New York area. That was dangerous and absolutely no fun to watch. Putting players at risk for money is shameful. James Daniels pancaked the BC LB who got hurt...landing on him with his full weight...and I'm sure it's a separated shoulder due to the frozen tundra. If Jewell or Jackson slipped and tore an ACL, I would have recommended suing the Big Ten, the Pinstripe Bowl organization, and any sponsors for putting them at risk. That was simply unacceptable and I blame Delaney most of all. He's a smart guy and I hope he puts an end to it before someone loses a career at the next level.

Let's call a Bowl Game in Yankee Stadium in late December what it is...flat out freaking stupid. New York may be great to visit at Christmas time for shopping and the festive atmosphere, but it's no where to be playing football...especially on a frozen field with no heating coils to keep the ground soft and traction safe.

The Big Ten needs to stop this fiasco unless they move the field choice in the New Jersey/New York area. That was dangerous and absolutely no fun to watch. Putting players at risk for money is shameful. James Daniels pancaked the BC LB who got hurt...landing on him with his full weight...and I'm sure it's a separated shoulder due to the frozen tundra. If Jewell or Jackson slipped and tore an ACL, I would have recommended suing the Big Ten, the Pinstripe Bowl organization, and any sponsors for putting them at risk. That was simply unacceptable and I blame Delaney most of all. He's a smart guy and I hope he puts an end to it before someone loses a career at the next level.

MVB "slid" on one of his punt catches. Had he NOT signaled for the fair catch he'd probably be in traction right now. As it was, he was exposed, in a big way, to major injury.

The thing is, people think, "Well, the B1G NEEDS the NYC market!", or, "Big-time exposure means big-time dollars". But I also know Delaney all but told the Citrus Bowl (several years ago) that they needed to upgrade or B1G would no longer send a team. Delaney has a hard-on for B1G-in-NYC, as evidenced by the Pinstripe Bowl tie-in and holding the b-ball tournament a week early just to have it in MSG.

If you want fans in the stands a bowl game in New York in late December is a bad idea. It's an even worse idea for player safety. Both teams are legitimately fortunate they didn't have anyone suffer a serious injury. If you're going to insist on having a game in New York at that time of year at least play in on an actual football field.

The Pinstripe at the very least, needs to slide down the Big Ten bowl priority list behind Detroit and Dallas. It should be the last possible bowl that the Big Ten fills.

The Holiday Bowl will probably need to be replaced with a new bowl either at the Raiders new stadium in Las Vegas, or the Rams new stadium in Los Angeles.

My favorite bowl game went away when the Alamo Bowl was no longer a part of our system. To stay on the Riverwalk, with beautiful hotels, great restaurants, close to the historic Alamo itself and then walk to the game held in a great venue was my favorite experience. The Outback is a close second.

I would love to see the Big Ten get the Alamo Bowl back. Maybe that could replace the Holiday Bowl too.

saw an article on Land of 10 about having a bowl in St Louis. I think that is a great idea. A lot of midwest fans would probably attend if their team made it. I think it would be great if the B1G played against the Big 12. That bowl would probably sell out often. I know if there was a bowl in STL and Iowa got invited, I would probably buy tickets and go there. Might not be the warmest of destinations but it's a close enough venue for B1G and Big 12 fans

Last edited:
Detroit has the highest murder rate (2011-2016 average) at 46.7.
St. Louis and New Orleans are tied at 46.2.

The only B1G vs Big 10 bowl match-up is the Armed Forces/Heart of Dallas bowls, and that's so far down the pecking order, that it never happens.

I loved the B1G vs Big 12 matchups in the Alamo and Insight Bowl, but those affiliations are gone..

That would be perfect in St. Louis.
Forest Park, downtown St. Louis and St. Charles are nice, while the remainder looks like Detroit and Memphis.

Last edited:
I wonder if they could set up a rotating bowl game that goes to a different cold weather city each year

Year 1: Detroit
Year 2: Indy
Year 3: Minny
Year 4: St. Louis

I live in St. Louis, and even I wouldn't want Iowa to play in a bowl game here. The Dome is a dump, it's freezing here just like in NYC, and while it isn't as "dangerous" as people like to portray in most of the city, it ain't exactly Tampa.

I can't believe Nick played in this game let alone do what he did. He could of hurt himself worse than what he was. That kid is one tuff SOB!!!

MVB "slid" on one oowl tie-in and holding the b-ball tournament a week early just to have it in MSG.[/QUOTE]

I read the Colts Indy dome was scheduled during normal Big 10 Bball tourney time which made them scramble to schedule early december conf games and have the tourney a week earlier at MSG which had an open date.

Ok Big 10 experts what is the real story here.

Latest posts