Need to find a QB and an OLine

hwks1

To move the program forward, we really need to find a legit QB. The Oline also needs an upgrade to compete with the big boys.

How many threads you need to start to understand QB wasn't the problem. How many times did Gruden criticize our WT ability to get open???

The line is fine.

The biggest problem is our lack of quality receivers. QB battle could be interesting in the spring.

Our QB play today was subpar. I won't debate that in the least. He just flat out missed some throws today that he should have made...several throws...with the big one the one to Powell. IMO, he doesn't look like the same QB, even from the Nebraska game. He was tentative with his footwork all day...and not stepping into anything...and I believe that's why he wasn't accurate. He just didn't play well, especially in the first half.

There is nothing wrong with this OL. Our issues today were skill position related...from the QB being off, to our WR's not getting separation to our feature back being a fullback playing tailback. The last one is our big problem and one I've been saying all year. Weisman is a good fullback trying to be a tailback. It works against substandard defensive teams where our OL can dominate the line of scrimmage. Not so much against good run defenses. He can't get to the hole fast enough and he needs blockers to hold their block too long against very good athletes. The other thing is that Weisman isn't going to make elite defenders miss...he gets caught at the line and falls forward. There is a reason why Canzeri's yards per run are so much better...he gets to the hole fast and doesn't need much room to get positive yardage. The fact that our coaching staff can't see this, is a little mind boggling.

IMO, we have capable backs, but nothing close to elite. We should be getting guys like Canzeri and Daniels more touches...move Weisman back to fullback and use him in the passing game. I wish our coaching staff would use Canzeri like the Chargers use Danny Woodhead. He's too quick for linebackers and they short pass them to death on third down. How many times did we throw to a back today?

If I'm Canzeri, I'd transfer. He deserves the ball more. I hope he doesn't, but I'd understand...he's going to stay behind Weisman another year...and it's wrong.

Our QB play today was subpar. I won't debate that in the least. He just flat out missed some throws today that he should have made...several throws...with the big one the one to Powell. IMO, he doesn't look like the same QB, even from the Nebraska game. He was tentative with his footwork all day...and not stepping into anything...and I believe that's why he wasn't accurate. He just didn't play well, especially in the first half.

There is nothing wrong with this OL. Our issues today were skill position related...from the QB being off, to our WR's not getting separation to our feature back being a fullback playing tailback. The last one is our big problem and one I've been saying all year. Weisman is a good fullback trying to be a tailback. It works against substandard defensive teams where our OL can dominate the line of scrimmage. Not so much against good run defenses. He can't get to the hole fast enough and he needs blockers to hold their block too long against very good athletes. The other thing is that Weisman isn't going to make elite defenders miss...he gets caught at the line and falls forward. There is a reason why Canzeri's yards per run are so much better...he gets to the hole fast and doesn't need much room to get positive yardage. The fact that our coaching staff can't see this, is a little mind boggling.

IMO, we have capable backs, but nothing close to elite. We should be getting guys like Canzeri and Daniels more touches...move Weisman back to fullback and use him in the passing game. I wish our coaching staff would use Canzeri like the Chargers use Danny Woodhead. He's too quick for linebackers and they short pass them to death on third down. How many times did we throw to a back today?

If I'm Canzeri, I'd transfer. He deserves the ball more. I hope he doesn't, but I'd understand...he's going to stay behind Weisman another year...and it's wrong.

Dont disagree with anything said but I do think that the Oline gets too much credit. You cant get 1yd out of Weisman when you need a first down? Your average QB has almost no time to even find a receiver? This is not as good a line as they get credit for.

Beathard is more athletic. Would be interesting to see him get some more time but I doubt the staff will change horses midstream. Maybe they'll surprise me.

As far as the o-line, I think we're fine. When someone who hits the line quickly like Canzeri is in he breaks one once in a while and usually picks up 2-3. When Weisman is in and the holes are not gaping like today or we run a bunch of stretches the line looks bad. The inexplicable use personnel is the problem not the line.

Here are some 2014 recruits still undecided:

QB

Stephen Barmore 6'2" 200 Southington, CT
Tyler Creath 6'1" 200 St. Louis, MO
Robert Jones 6'2" 185 Louisville, KY
Curtis Ladd 6'1" 190 McKinney, TX
Michael Scarnecchia 6'4" 195 Orange Park, FL
Brett Siebenshuh N/A N/A Saint Charles, MO
Shelby Spence 6'0" 180 4.56 40 Chicago, IL

WR

Dominique Booth 6'0" 190 Indianapolis, IN
Adonis Jennings 6'2" 183 Sicklerville, NJ
Kenny Jones 6'2" 180 Indianapolis, IN
Anthony Holmes 6'6" 195 West Des Moines, IA
TaShaun Beavers 6'3" 170 Dallas, TX
Matthew Rockett 5'9" 172 Santa Ana, CA
Joshua Cazley 5'10" 165 Charleston, IL
Steven Champlin 6'0" 165 4.31 40 Castroville, TX
Conor Simpson 5'10" 170 Libertyville, IL
R.J. Urzendowski 6'1" 185 Omaha, NE

OT

Braden Smith 6'6" 292 Olathe, KS
Damian Prince 6'5" 295 Forestville, MD
Roderick Johnson 6'7" 320 Florissant, MO
Brian Wallace 6'6" 295 St. Louis, MO
Ben Knox 6'5" 265 Deland, FL
Denzel Ward 6'8" 290 Chicago, IL
Justin Muehlheausler 6'5" 260 Kirkwood, MO
Malachi Morehead 6'3" 260 Bellflower, CA
Geno Rollo 6'2" 250 Pickerington, OH

OG

Dan Ryan 6'3" 270 O'Fallon, IL
Laurent Njiki 6'3" 280 Wylie, TX

C

Nathan Oquendo 6'2" 285 Chicago, IL

The real need is to find a running game to be able to play the way Kf wants. Zone read/play action.

Why he insists on that offense I dont know but if hes gona do it he needs to get a real running back in there and use Canzeri allot more.

How many threads you need to start to understand QB wasn't the problem. How many times did Gruden criticize our WT ability to get open???
I agree with this. The WR's were not getting separation at all, which led to some coverage sacks. Powell beat his guy on that deep ball and it was a poor throw, but the WR's were not helping much.

Oline struggled against really good athletes sending 5+ guys, not shocking and not much you can do. Weisman is too damned slow to hit holes when they open as a team like LSU closes them quick.

Oline struggled against really good athletes sending 5+ guys, not shocking and not much you can do. Weisman is too damned slow to hit holes when they open as a team like LSU closes them quick.
I don't know why Iowa kept running Weisman outside today.