Nebraska's football record against the Big 10

Bohawk

I posted this in another thread, but decided to give it it's own.

I've been hearing Husker fans assume their domination of the Big 10 due to their all time record against the conferece.

Iowa's all time basketball record against Big 12 schools is 90-48. Looks like they've played every team but A&M and have a winning record against all teams (.500 vs KSU). No doubt Iowa would dominate the Big 12 in basketball if they joined your conference.

Baylor: 1-0
Colorado: 4-3
ISU: 42-20
Kansas: 7-3
K-State: 4-4
Mizzou: 10-7
Nebraska: 12-7
Oklahoma: 3-2
Ok State: 1-0
Texas: 2-1
TT: 4-1

BUT, BUT, BUT...

Series Records - IOWA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

I've been hearing Husker fans assume their domination of the Big 10 due to their all time record against the conferece.

Iowa's all time basketball record against Big 12 schools is 90-48. Looks like they've played every team but A&M and have a winning record against all teams (.500 vs KSU). No doubt Iowa would dominate the Big 12 in basketball if they joined your conference.

BUT, BUT, BUT...

I'll tell you one thing... Nebraska fans on the whole really don't care much about basketball. We're used to our basketball team getting pounded by schools whose football teams we eat for breakfast. When February rolls around, I'll bet you top dollar that any good Husker fan will be able to name off more football recruits than starters on the basketball team. Any true Husker fan will also be able to tell you said recruits' 40 yard dash times, height/weight, and where they're from.

Basketball just isn't that big for the Big Red.

Volleyball, on the other hand...

9da96f63-0b67-51e5-bc7b-613e024e425f.preview-300.jpg

BoBigRed, I think you're missing the point.

Precisely. Just because Nebraska has had past success (most of which came under Osborne) against the Big Ten doesn't mean it will continue (at least to the tune of 31-6) now. Just like Iowa's historical success against the Big 12 in basketball doesn't mean we would dominate now.

Precisely. Just because Nebraska has had past success (most of which came under Osborne) against the Big Ten doesn't mean it will continue (at least to the tune of 31-6) now. Just like Iowa's historical success against the Big 12 in basketball doesn't mean we would dominate now.

Actually, our record against the Big 10 since Osborne retired (6-1) is better, percentage-wise, than under Osborne/Devaney since 1970 (25-5).

Our most recent win came against a Michigan squad in the 2005 Alamo bowl who, that next year, came within a field goal of playing for the national championship.

I'm also willing to bet that, even with Iowa's recent basketball woes, they would do pretty well in the Big 12 right now. With the exception of Kansas and Kansas State, there really isn't a whole lot of great hoops going on. Yeesh.

All that being said... I haven't heard or read of one single Husker fan that thinks we're just going to tear through the Big 10 like a buzz saw with the on switch glued down. The fact that we own a 31-6 record against the Big 10 is just that, a fact. Nothing more. There's also a reason they included "since 1970." Before 1970, specifically before 1962 (when the architect of Nebraska football, Bob Devaney, became our coach), Nebraska was the Big 10's punching bag most of the time. Minnesota owns the all time record with us 20-29-2, although we're riding a 14-game winning streak on that one dating back to 1963.

Husker fans aren't assuming anything. The fact that we own impressive statistics finally ceased to be a source of future expectations right around the time we were getting blown out at home by a putrid Texas A&M squad in 2007. But reminiscing sure is fun, sometimes.

I really am looking forward to the border war series with Iowa.

BUT, BUT, BUT...

I thought i was going to see Neb records against the Big ten schools in football according to your headline, not iowa's bball record against the Big 12.

I thought i was going to see Neb records against the Big ten schools in football according to your headline, not iowa's bball record against the Big 12.
He is trying to prove that the past is the past, for example Iowa basketball has a history of success against the big12, but that doesnt mean if we went in there right now we would dominate the big12 in basketball.

Agreed BigRed missed the point but I appreciate the photo of the women's volleyball team. Do you have any others?

Agreed BigRed missed the point but I appreciate the photo of the women's volleyball team. Do you have any others?

No, I got the point. Addressed it. But by request... here are some more ball bashers.

GWOBCETIUMXMQLB.20081207005233.JPG

huskervolleyball.jpg

huskerbvolleyball4.jpg

We're not Ole Miss but we try.

I have been reading posts on here about what Nebraska fans are saying, but I haven't been reading those posts on here. So far it seems to me that the Nebraska fans that have found their way onto this board have been very cordial and reasonable and just looking for good conversation.

When we go out and wander onto their boards we are going to get some extreem points of view. no different than if other fans wander on here. I'm sure there are fans out there that feel that Nebby's past record vs the B10 means they will roll in this confrence, just like some Iowa fans that feel we are going to roll any SEC opponent in a bowl game.

Latest posts