Nebraska Columnist on Huskers Hubbard Interest

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This from Steven M. Sipple of the Lincoln paper (from twitter):

I'm told Nebraska under no circumstances will again pursue 6-foot-5 forward/guard Anthony Hubbard, who last week abruptly left Iowa.

Could be. I stated from day one that academics for non-trads are tough. Not a lot of people thought there was credence to that concern.

But it would make sense because FERPA regulations don't allow the disclosure of grade information.

Could be. I stated from day one that academics for non-trads are tough. Not a lot of people thought there was credence to that concern.

But it would make sense because FERPA regulations don't allow the disclosure of grade information.

Never heard anyone saying that...

Supposedly he did reasonably well academically at his two juco stops. But junior college is a far different animal than a four-year Big 10+2 university, and that transition is not always easy (I am Exhibit A of that.)

We also might take some clues from his path since prison: returns home to Woodbridge, Va.; earns high school degree; wants to go to a Frederick (Md.) juco where they want him to study for a year and not play hoops; decides instead to go to an Odessa (Tex.) juco, where he does play; after less than a year transfers to Frederick for a year where he gets all sorts of attention from D1 coaches.

The bottom line is that after prison he hasn't stayed in one spot for long; perhaps the prospect of staying in the Iowa City fishbowl for as much as two years with great expectations put on his shoulders as a part of rebuilding Iowa basketball was all a little daunting. Some individuals thrive in that environment; others don't.

During the initial recruiting phase I said he should go to a small school where he could focus on getting a degree in a field of interest and begin doing some internship work in that field. Basketball should only be an avenue for that process. Really makes no sense to try to play D1 hoops, I mean he isn't going NBA or anything.

He needs to look at this like an adult and have education and his future working life take priority over basketball. Go someplace where the media isn't going to give a hoot and there is not a rabid fan base watching your every move.

During the initial recruiting phase I said he should go to a small school where he could focus on getting a degree in a field of interest and begin doing some internship work in that field. Basketball should only be an avenue for that process. Really makes no sense to try to play D1 hoops, I mean he isn't going NBA or anything.

He needs to look at this like an adult and have education and his future working life take priority over basketball. Go someplace where the media isn't going to give a hoot and there is not a rabid fan base watching your every move.

Thought you were referring to the day of his announcement vs. the start of his recruitment. Sorry about the confusion.

Lesson learned from Anthony Hubbard saga: We need better recruiting of high school athletes so we don't have to reach on JUCO kids with issues.

Wait a minute...so you only play D1 hoops if you intend on going to the NBA? Considering about .005% make it to that ultimate goal, there must be a lot of players making poor decisions around the country.

Besides, playing at a bigger school could have gotten him noticed overseas. The NBA was never a possibility for AH, but playing in Europe could have been. I've seen some really crappy players make a living over there.

Latest posts