NCAA tournament team destination

How are teams chosen to go to the different cities in the first 2 rounds of the NCAA tournament? Would like an idea of where Iowa would go. Guessing since they would not be higher than a 5 seed they could go anywhere.

Yeah I know it is. So do you just have to wait for selection Sunday and try to make plans with just 4 days in advance? Flights would be outrageously expensive.

How are teams chosen to go to the different cities in the first 2 rounds of the NCAA tournament? Would like an idea of where Iowa would go. Guessing since they would not be higher than a 5 seed they could go anywhere.

Here's the short (cynical) course from selection committee guidelines:

1) The following teams should always play on their home court: Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Arizona, UCLA, Big East champion
2) These teams should go as far away as possible, regardless of seed: B1G champion, B1G at-large teams
3) B1G at-large teams should, when possible, be seeded 7-10, and should play Duke or Kentucky in second round
4) Should B1G champion be a 1- or 2-seed, they should play in West Regional
5) Kansas should be afforded all the luxuries given to teams listed in #1 above, but if they are not Big XII champion, the same applies

Yeah I know it is. So do you just have to wait for selection Sunday and try to make plans with just 4 days in advance? Flights would be outrageously expensive.

Yep, at least with Iowa this year, that would be the plan. That is part of the reason that you see half empty arenas for some of those 1st/2nd round games.

Try to correctly predict every game for every team for the next few weeks. And then predict how a group of people, that you've never met, are going to seed teams in a ridiculously large bracket.

Then you'll have your answer.

I'll give you time to process this and see if you ask a question that no one here could tell you the answer to...

Try to correctly predict every game for every team for the next few weeks. And then predict how a group of people, that you've never met, are going to seed teams in a ridiculously large bracket.

Then you'll have your answer.

I'll give you time to process this and see if you ask a question that no one here could tell you the answer to...

eh, cut him a break, he just wants to go see the Hawkeyes in the tournament. :)

It would be pretty cool if UNI, ISU and Iowa all played in Omaha. ISU hasn't played UNI yet this year so it has potential. If Iowa gets a 7 seed, UNI gets a 6 seed, and ISU gets a 3 seed then its definitely possible.

Can you imagine third round games of Iowa vs Kansas and ISU vs UNI? Omaha might burn to the ground afterwards.

You can Google directions to Carver Hawkeye. NIT first-round games are usually on Tuesday or Wednesday after Selection Sunday. Plenty of good seats still available.

Latest posts