NCAA tournament challenges

Seth53

Just curious if any of you play any of the NCAA men's tourney brackets?
Anyone ever won anything substantial (ok, or unsubstantial?)

I enter the ESPN bracket, one bracket, yearly. I think I've finished as high as 95%-tile and I've been hammered into the teens. We have one at work I won a few year ago, winning a pound of popcorn seeds or something.

What say you?

I won first place in the Currier Hall E-200's bracket in 1986, Louisville over Duke.

I won $76 or something like that, which was quickly decimated by money I owed to others on the floor in poker debts. I think I had enough leftover for a Paul Revere's wedgie (calzone) and breadsticks.

Suffice to say people were rooting for me to win. I had some settlin to do.

Worked at UW Vending during my college days, won a pool between us part timers, think I got $10 and some week old pastry..........hey, $10 bucks was $10 bucks back then! This was back in late 70's-very early 80's, the bracket challenge wasn't quite the thing it is today. BTW, did any of you ever actually drink the coffee from those vending machines back then?

I've played in the same pool for close to 20 years with 300+ entries.

I've won it outright twice and placed in the top 3 four other times.

Every time was a nice little bump to the wallet.

I've played in the same pool for close to 20 years with 300+ entries.

I've won it outright twice and placed in the top 3 four other times.

Every time was a nice little bump to the wallet.
I've had more success in fantasy football. In one league I got two firsts and a third in five years in a twelve team bar league.

Bought a round for the other owners both times I won.

I think I finished tenth and eleventh out of twelve teams the other two years

I've had more success in fantasy football. In one league I got two firsts and a third in five years in a twelve team bar league.

Bought a round for the other owners both times I won.

I think I finished tenth and eleventh out of twelve teams the other two years
oh I am terrible in FFB

NCAA I am typically pretty good. I do like 20 brackets and 2 of them turn out to be decent.

Worked at UW Vending during my college days, won a pool between us part timers, think I got $10 and some week old pastry..........hey, $10 bucks was $10 bucks back then! This was back in late 70's-very early 80's, the bracket challenge wasn't quite the thing it is today. BTW, did any of you ever actually drink the coffee from those vending machines back then?
I have drank the vendor machine coffee. Took a couple years off my life I think.

I go straight chalk the first two games.
Usually works well.

Then I go off the rails by homering for the B1G...crushing my brackets. :)

I could believe that...... we actually cleaned the inside of those machines back in the day, but they still looked (and leaked) inside like a contraption you might see in a high school science fair.
I worked vendor route delivery for thirteen years. Coffee machines are the worst. Bad coffee, hard to keep clean, always broken down.

People think they can poor unused coffee into a drain spout in the machine. There is no drain spout, just a bucket with a float at the top of it. When the mess in the bucket gets close to overflowing and touches the float, it puts the machine out of service.

What accumumates in that bucket is so putrid I'm not going to describe it here. But you can imagine what it attracts if not kept clean. Hard water is also brutal on coffee vending machines as lime deposits can clog up the hoses. The trash can that collects brewer waste can also overflow, and forget it if a line leaks all over the inside. Oh, and the brewer itself is hard to keep clean and functional.

I used to do a bunch on ESPN, some at work, one with my family, but I have completely quit altogether and love it. I would fill out my bracket and then find myself kind of hoping teams like Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc, didn't lose and didn't completely cheer for the upsets that were happening.

I won first place in the Currier Hall E-200's bracket in 1986, Louisville over Duke.

I won $76 or something like that, which was quickly decimated by money I owed to others on the floor in poker debts. I think I had enough leftover for a Paul Revere's wedgie (calzone) and breadsticks.

Suffice to say people were rooting for me to win. I had some settlin to do.
1986 East 2's in Currier?? I was in the 2nd floor, NE corner room in 85-86!
We had great parties cuz of our bigger 3-guy room. Still have the letter in my scrap book from one of the low-level Deans threatening to boot us if we had another kegger. Whatever. Made it through just fine and got the paper. I loved that year in Currier Hall!!

1986 East 2's in Currier?? I was in the 2nd floor, NE corner room in 85-86!
We had great parties cuz of our bigger 3-guy room. Still have the letter in my scrap book from one of the low-level Deans threatening to boot us if we had another kegger. Whatever. Made it through just fine and got the paper. I loved that year in Currier Hall!!
You would have been maybe 8-10 rooms down around the corner from me. And yes that year was like Animal House. We made our RA's life a living hell, probably drove the custodian into retirement.

Was that the year the N-300's had the firefighters shirts (If they're hot we'll hose em) you would have been the garbage men (If they're trashed, we'll pick em up)

We had two ideas for shirts that were voted down because we were a co-hab floor (imagine that today) and too many women nixed them. One was the slam and stagger tour shirt where our tour dates on the back were downtown bars with "Sold Out" emblazoned across the list. The other was "Currier House" on the front in the font of Animal House on the front and "Blutarsky: zero point zero" on the back. We settled for a bland shirt that had a "state seal" on the front with a Hawkeye and assorted college icons.

Ground floor Hillcrest, the G-Men, had an awesome one. The front said "When you're looking to party down, we're the G-Men, best around". The back had a typed letter from the hall coordinator depicting a long laundry list of lewd and obnoxious behavior and general debauchery.

Remember the N-300's annual clam bake parties? How about golf putting contests in the hallways? And yes I got my share of literature from the hall coordinator. My transgression was getting caught messing with the fire extinguisher just as an RA was walking around the corner.

One night after dinner we went onto the balcony off our study lounge and loaded our water balloon slingshot with apples. Fourth or fifth try we shattered a window in adjacent Stanley Hall across the courtyard. 100% true story. When we did use water balloons we wou,would, get up on the roof and shoot them down Clinton Street, or take it out to the Coralville Reservoir in warm weather.

Last edited:
I was in Burge, one ill-fated day, the dining department thought it would be a good idea to serve Cornish game hens as the entree. about a third of these were launched at Currier, the other third were launched at the fraternity across the street. I actually ate mine......Burge food wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't horrible either. Oh, and Northside, why were you picking on those poor Stanley girls? Does UW even still have a girl's only dorm??

Does anyone know a good site to start a conference tournament bracket pool? I have a group of guys at work from various BigTen schools and we want to do an online conference pool, but I could not find one online easily

You would have been maybe 8-10 rooms down around the corner from me. And yes that year was like Animal House. We made our RA's life a living hell, probably drove the custodian into retirement.

Was that the year the N-300's had the firefighters shirts (If they're hot we'll hose em) you would have been the garbage men (If they're trashed, we'll pick em up)

We had two ideas for shirts that were voted down because we were a co-hab floor (imagine that today) and too many women nixed them. One was the slam and stagger tour shirt where our tour dates on the back were downtown bars with "Sold Out" emblazoned across the list. The other was "Currier House" on the front in the font of Animal House on the front and "Blutarsky: zero point zero" on the back. We settled for a bland shirt that had a "state seal" on the front with a Hawkeye and assorted college icons.

Ground floor Hillcrest, the G-Men, had an awesome one. The front said "When you're looking to party down, we're the G-Men, best around". The back had a typed letter from the hall coordinator depicting a long laundry list of lewd and obnoxious behavior and general debauchery.

Remember the N-300's annual clam bake parties? How about golf putting contests in the hallways? And yes I got my share of literature from the hall coordinator. My transgression was getting caught messing with the fire extinguisher just as an RA was walking around the corner.

One night after dinner we went onto the balcony off our study lounge and loaded our water balloon slingshot with apples. Fourth or fifth try we shattered a window in adjacent Stanley Hall across the courtyard. 100% true story. When we did use water balloons we wou,would, get up on the roof and shoot them down Clinton Street, or take it out to the Coralville Reservoir in warm weather.
Our Burge floor shirt was a photo of a U.S. warship with the caption " USS VIRGIN DESTROYERS"

Bought us beers at Joes.