NCAA Top Offense?

No way, they have probably the best O-line in the country and a great RB who will have a monster year (but not against us) but they have a game manager QB and decent WRs. They will have a very good offense but they won't come close to the top offense in the country.

wisconsin is also going to be very good this year and will have a top offense---(when you return 10 of 11 startes-- yeah, you probably should be better) but #1 in the country? yeah probably not, perhaps in the big 10 though??----

although i know I have a black and gold punch problem..... but i really think with the weapons at WR, QB, and yes, despite the annual RB issues, i think with AR and JH we could be really good ourselves.... with the top 3 in b10 with production--- if our O line gels(and call me crazy but i actually think our o line will be better this year, maybe not talent wise, but production wise) i think we could have a monster year on the other side of the ball and it'll be a nice change of scene to not always hear the "well your defense bails your offense out every game, blah blah blah)

Not by a long shot. They play in a conference that has too many defensive powers. I figure Boise State will have the best offense this year, based primarily on their returning starters and weakness of opposing defenses.

After reading what Jon has heard: "-Spoke with someone that was in Iowa City last week for the night practice that will air tomorrow night on the BTN. I told him my biggest concern with Iowa is their offensive line. He looked at me, and right away said 'I wouldn't be worried about it based on what I saw.' "

I also think Iowa is going to be very good on the O side of the ball. As good as or better than Wisky.

I been reading CFN for quite a while now. But seems like this site is becoming more gomer homer each year. I like reading it because there is tons of stuff to read. Do you guys think Wisconsin has the #1 offensive unit in all the land?
Scout.com: 2010 CFN Preview - Unit Rankings

I beleive that Wisc has the tools to be one of, if not the, top offense in the nation. They have, IMO, the best o-line in college football and plenty of playmakers. If Tolzien can step it up a bit, they will be very tough to stop.

That being said, though, at the end of the year, I very much doubt that they will be at the top in stats. The play a bunch of teams that are good/very good/perhaps even great defensively. Teams like Boise St or Houston, which also have great offenses, don't have to play against teams with BigTen defenses...

After reading what Jon has heard: "-Spoke with someone that was in Iowa City last week for the night practice that will air tomorrow night on the BTN. I told him my biggest concern with Iowa is their offensive line. He looked at me, and right away said 'I wouldn't be worried about it based on what I saw.' "

I also think Iowa is going to be very good on the O side of the ball. As good as or better than Wisky.

If Iowa is as good as Wisc on offense, it will be an incredible year indeed. With our defense, if we are 1/2 to 3/4 as good, you can pencil us in for a championship. :)

Looking through my Black and Gold glasses, I am optimistic that our offense can be pretty damn good. All the pieces are there. Hopefully, they will come together. Of course, though, I have said that before...

There's also the not-so-little issue of John Clay's expanding waistline. During his ankle recovery he really packed on more than a few lbs. I don't think he'll have trouble getting back in shape but it IS something to keep in mind.

I sure hope you guys talking about our offense being pretty potent are right. After all of the years (except 2002, of course) of just average output by our offense I'm still very skeptical about our offense. Especially with the genius of Ken O'Keefe calling the plays. Yes I know Kirk tells him the way he wants the offense ran and a lot of it comes down to execution, but I've just always thought there's got to be somebody better out there to run our offense. That'll never happen of course until Kirk retires/leaves. I'm not complaining btw, just skeptical.

I sure hope you guys talking about our offense being pretty potent are right. After all of the years (except 2002, of course) of just average output by our offense I'm still very skeptical about our offense. Especially with the genius of Ken O'Keefe calling the plays. Yes I know Kirk tells him the way he wants the offense ran and a lot of it comes down to execution, but I've just always thought there's got to be somebody better out there to run our offense. That'll never happen of course until Kirk retires/leaves. I'm not complaining btw, just skeptical.

Really, I don't think that KOK is the problem. I was talking about this on Hawkeye Report earlier this week and our offense is actually a lot more intricate and complicated that is often perceived. We mix up formations a lot and get more use out of our TEs than most schools do. The problem with our offense is a lack of a lead foot. Once we get up by 10-14, we typically put on the breaks and try to coast the rest of the way, letting the defense take over. You can look at our playcalling and see how dramatically things change when we have a 14 point cushion. On top of that, our playcalling seems to be much more timid in both red zones and a little more ambitious from our 40 to our opponent's 20. I just don't think we have a mentality in our program to pulverize our opponents with offense, even when we are a better team.

sure hope you guys talking about our offense being pretty potent are right. After all of the years (except 2002, of course) of just average output by our offense I'm still very skeptical about our offense. Especially with the genius of Ken O'Keefe calling the plays. Yes I know Kirk tells him the way he wants the offense ran and a lot of it comes down to execution, but I've just always thought there's got to be somebody better out there to run our offense. That'll never happen of course until Kirk retires/leaves. I'm not complaining btw, just skeptical.

Really, I don't think that KOK is the problem. I was talking about this on Hawkeye Report earlier this week and our offense is actually a lot more intricate and complicated that is often perceived. We mix up formations a lot and get more use out of our TEs than most schools do. The problem with our offense is a lack of a lead foot. Once we get up by 10-14, we typically put on the breaks and try to coast the rest of the way, letting the defense take over. You can look at our playcalling and see how dramatically things change when we have a 14 point cushion. On top of that, our playcalling seems to be much more timid in both red zones and a little more ambitious from our 40 to our opponent's 20. I just don't think we have a mentality in our program to pulverize our opponents with offense, even when we are a better team.

Plus 100 to both of these statements...very well articulated.

I can agree with taking the foot off for sure. Like even in the orange bowl it seemed like we could of destructed them but we didn't.

I can agree with taking the foot off for sure. Like even in the orange bowl it seemed like we could of destructed them but we didn't.

Perfect example. But clearly the offense has the tools to put up points, as evidenced by the 4th quarter of the Indiana game last year. I'd even go so far as to bring up the OSU game from last year. We had something like 19 seconds on the clock when we got the ball back at the end of the game. The score was tied and we had enough time to at least attempt a few plays to maybe get within FG range. Instead of risking a turnover, we decided to let the clock run out and play for the win in OT. We all know how that turned out.

Latest posts