NCAA proposal would ratchet up penalties

obviously the slap on the wrist method isn't working, so they need to do more. they didn't hit OSU hard, but they did hit coaches like Pearl and Tressell hard.

obviously the slap on the wrist method isn't working, so they need to do more. they didn't hit OSU hard, but they did hit coaches like Pearl and Tressell hard.

I'd prefer the top 64 programs leave the ncaa and govern their new "league" with a commissioner and compliance dept that assures everyone is playing by the same rules.
Run it like the NFL

My strong opinion is that the NCAA is a terrible joke. Let teams play in bowl games, so they don't screw up the BCS matches, and then punish the players in later years that had nothing to do with the original violations.

Ohio State in the Gator. Cam Newton findings. It goes on and on.

That they finally got around, kinda, to speaking about the SEC's over signing of freshman is ridiculous. Playing with immature young men's college futures, and leaving them without a scholarship is the most unethical thing I've ever seen, and I'm not sure they have done anything officially about this yet.

My strong opinion is that the NCAA is a terrible joke. Let teams play in bowl games, so they don't screw up the BCS matches, and then punish the players in later years that had nothing to do with the original violations.

That they finally got around, kinda, to speaking about the SEC's over signing of freshman is ridiculous. Playing with immature young men's college futures, and leaving them without a scholarship is the most unethical thing I've ever seen, and I'm not sure they have done anything officially about this yet.

The NCAA is not a joke it is a farce - there's a difference. Their primary goal is to protect the money while providing the air of legitimacy. Mission accomplished - sort of.

Unbelievably there are a few Iowa 'fans' around here that revere the practice of over signing and pulling scholarships from players that don't pan out for one reason or another and consider Kirk Ferentz to be loser because he doesn't do this as well.

I think Mark Emmert agrees with you. He was saying that when he was still UW President, and vowed to fix it when he got to the NCAA. Hence the proposal. I don't know if you caught it, but he ripped his own organization's decision to permit Pryor & Company to play in the bowl game (it was technically consistent with then-current rules and precedents).

It is a huge ship that is going to take some time to turn, since anything major requires concurrence of the schools, Emmert can't just dictate. Never forget this. The NCAA is not the independent body it appears, it is run by the school presidents.

I think Mark Emmert agrees with you. He was saying that when he was still UW President, and vowed to fix it when he got to the NCAA. Hence the proposal. I don't know if you caught it, but he ripped his own organization's decision to permit Pryor & Company to play in the bowl game (it was technically consistent with then-current rules and precedents).

It is a huge ship that is going to take some time to turn, since anything major requires concurrence of the schools, Emmert can't just dictate. Never forget this. The NCAA is not the independent body it appears, it is run by the school presidents.

I did catch Emmert's comments, and read between the lines. Good observation about the school presidents. It happens in Iowa City also. Sometimes I allude to this, and sometimes I get ripped pretty hard about it.

Golfer- I don't have a problem with the Admin(Pres. included) getting involved but I really get sick of people's half-***** effort to do things.
There are way too many things that happen that just don't make sense and I would expect alot of those things be made public if legally possibly. They are running a public institution and they do have a responsibility there.
All in all it really doesn't matter because power is always king and it goes hand i hand with money. At last I am much less concerned with how our Universities operate than the Federal Gov't.

Golfer- I don't have a problem with the Admin(Pres. included) getting involved but I really get sick of people's half-***** effort to do things.
There are way too many things that happen that just don't make sense and I would expect alot of those things be made public if legally possibly. They are running a public institution and they do have a responsibility there.
All in all it really doesn't matter because power is always king and it goes hand i hand with money. At last I am much less concerned with how our Universities operate than the Federal Gov't.

I think we agree. If you read my comments regarding the secrecy surrounding the entire Coker debacle in the Coker thread you'll see this.

Transparency in government is not the same as violating any privacy act. The process, those who sat in the meetings, etc, were never made public, under some far fetched interpretation of privacy laws.

I could go on about the disingenuous accounting methods where out athletic department "loses" money, but I'll stop right now.

We're on the same page.

SHOE ME THE MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and on and on

Latest posts