NCAA Ethics Now Officially for Sale

So how much money does the NCAA get from the Sugar Bowl? The National Championship? The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl? Hint: the answer is kind of important to your conclusion, so I'd recommend looking into it.

I really like this line from the Sugar Bowl CEO:

"I appreciate and fully understand the Midwestern values and ethics behind that," Hoolahan said. "But I'm probably thinking of this from a selfish perspective."

You don't say?

So how much money does the NCAA get from the Sugar Bowl? The National Championship? The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl? Hint: the answer is kind of important to your conclusion, so I'd recommend looking into it.

The schools have plenty of influence over the NCAA, though. If the NCAA wasn't concerned with money, they would drop the BCS and go to a playoff like they do with everything else.

The schools have plenty of influence over the NCAA, though. If the NCAA wasn't concerned with money, they would drop the BCS and go to a playoff like they do with everything else.

The NCAA represents the the member schools and does nothing else. I always get a kick out of people blaming the "greedy" NCAA, as if they are a ruthless, intrusive middleman that takes a 70% cut of all the profit in the bowls.

The TV contract for Bowl games is handled by the NCAA. Most.... Most of the money gets filtered back to schools and programs but the NCAA has a vested interest in making sure the ratings are there.

Either way, the NCAA swallowed it's rules of ethical standards and decided to let the players be eligible for the bowl game. The person paying the tab (i.e. Sugar Bowl CEO) had some influence on that decision.

The TV contract for Bowl games is handled by the NCAA. Most.... Most of the money gets filtered back to schools and programs but the NCAA has a vested interest in making sure the ratings are there.

Either way, the NCAA swallowed it's rules of ethical standards and decided to let the players be eligible for the bowl game. The person paying the tab (i.e. Sugar Bowl CEO) had some influence on that decision.

No disagreement there. I just think the greed angle is a bad one.

The NCAA represents the the member schools and does nothing else. I always get a kick out of people blaming the "greedy" NCAA, as if they are a ruthless, intrusive middleman that takes a 70% cut of all the profit in the bowls.

Well, exactly. Did no one read the article, to notice it was OSU's AD and Delaney who lobbied the NCAA directly?

Well, exactly. Did no one read the article, to notice it was OSU's AD and Delaney who lobbied the NCAA directly?

I would love to hear the reasoning used by OSU and Delany that compelled the NCAA to delay the suspension.

I would love to hear the reasoning used by OSU and Delany that compelled the NCAA to delay the suspension.

It's really pretty simple: the game was sold to advertisers as a matchup between two highly ranked and comparably skilled teams. Imagine how disappointed all the companies that were planning on purchasing advertising time during the Sugar Bowl would be if one of the teams were to be made vastly inferior.
Had the teams not been chosen for the game prior to the discovery that there were violations I think that it would have been a tougher sell to defer the punishment.
It may be one thing to be hypocritical and unfair in handling punishment, but it is an entirely different thing to mess with the companies that put money into the NCAA.
As far as the official explanations, meh they'll spin some garbage about how the players didn't know any better or they deserved to play in the game.

The fact that the NCAA even attempts to justify the inconsistent application of the rules is an insult to every fan's intelligence...well unless you root for OSU or Auburn.

Dez Bryant lies to the NCAA about a supposed dinner with Deion Sanders and he gets suspended for the entire season. 5 players from OSU sell stuff and get improper benefits and they get a deferred 5 game suspension (who knows may get wittled down more) and get to showcase their NFL talents in the Sugar Bowl while the Sugar Bowl CEO thanks the NCAA for leniency.

Complete traveshamockery.

Latest posts