National Podcasts

I listen to about 5 Iowa podcasts. It's probably a bit much but I enjoy them. I'd like to listen to an intelligent national football podcast and I thought I'd ask the forum readers if there are any out there. I used to listen to Ivan Maisel but I haven't for a few years. What do you listen to and why?

Right now, I'm listening to On-Iowa and also listen to Jon's. Sometimes BHGP. Any other suggestions?

Right now, I'm listening to On-Iowa and also listen to Jon's. Sometimes BHGP. Any other suggestions?

Allhawkeyes with Pat Harty and Rob Howe is an ok podcast. I don't think they are as good as On Iowa or Jon, but they do talk Iowa, and have some good guest interviews as well (Casey Beathard, Albert Young, Eppy Epenessa, and several others)

Hawkeye Report is another one with Bret Balbbinot and Tom Kakart.

this does not help you, but I am not a big fan of podcasts.

I prefer to read and i prefer that news be gathered and reported on, and if something interesting is discovered, it will be posted and then commented on. Then I look at the posts and choose what I want to read.

Don't get me wrong, I do listen to the radio, but podcasts seem like a waste of my time.

Listening to Jon and Deace just takes me back (to make them feel old) to when they were on KXNO every day. They were quite the duo on the radio and this is in some ways better then that but in other ways not as good. I like how there's no commercials and they just have their topic list and go. Yet when they were on radio it was fun when they'd have a guest on or just have some weird topic come up and their convo would go spinning way out into left field. I hope they had as much fun with that as I did listening.

#1 HawkeyeNation (especially good when bb season comes around and Wolfgang jumps in)
#2 BHGP
#3 On Iowa
#4 Two Star Hawkeye podcast

Listening to Jon and Deace just takes me back (to make them feel old) to when they were on KXNO every day. They were quite the duo on the radio and this is in some ways better then that but in other ways not as good. I like how there's no commercials and they just have their topic list and go. Yet when they were on radio it was fun when they'd have a guest on or just have some weird topic come up and their convo would go spinning way out into left field. I hope they had as much fun with that as I did listening.

They work well together. Good down-to-earth average level of fan talk with humor intertwined with some perspective. I wish they were on daily as it would fill my work day. Steve is terrific at articulate improv and I usually agree with his perspective. I like when they get laughing like Steve "pulling out 1980's bumber stickers".

1) On Iowa
2) HN
3) AllHawkeyes
4) Two-Star Hawkeye
5) 12 Saturdays
6) Hawkeye Report
7) Blackheart Gold Pants

in that order. Doc, Mascasa, and Jon are the best

Bill King is the go to person for 2 hours of college football talk every day.
He's on from 7am - 9 am and the show is pod-casted every day.
He used to have a show on Sirius, and is from Tennessee, but doesn't get bogged down with SEC this and SEC that like everyone, else.
http://nashvillesportsoriginal.com/listen-live/

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I moved to Nashville a couple years ago and I'll keep him in mind while on the commute!

this does not help you, but I am not a big fan of podcasts.

I prefer to read and i prefer that news be gathered and reported on, and if something interesting is discovered, it will be posted and then commented on. Then I look at the posts and choose what I want to read.

Don't get me wrong, I do listen to the radio, but podcasts seem like a waste of my time.

Couldn't disagree more. I spend a considerable amount of time in my car and I always have a podcast going. I love music and I used to always have my music going. But with the availability and choice of subject matter, I'm rarely listening to music. I know Jon has mentioned he is the same way. My subject matter of choice ranges from sports, real estate, television show discussions, science and skepticism, history and current events. I love to read but the amount of information one can digest by listening is fantastic. I love Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and his Common Sense podcast. The freedom of podcasting removes the soundbites of network news, filters out the noise and allows the podcaster to delve into a subject that you aren't able to get on radio or tv. The Council on Foreign Relations is good source of information.

As for the hardcore Hawk fan I can't get enough of decent Hawkeye discussions, especially when they are playing well. I actually feel the message boards are the waste of time and good nuggets of info are on the podcasts.:cool:

Couldn't disagree more. I spend a considerable amount of time in my car and I always have a podcast going. I love music and I used to always have my music going. But with the availability and choice of subject matter, I'm rarely listening to music. I know Jon has mentioned he is the same way. My subject matter of choice ranges from sports, real estate, television show discussions, science and skepticism, history and current events. I love to read but the amount of information one can digest by listening is fantastic. I love Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and his Common Sense podcast. The freedom of podcasting removes the soundbites of network news, filters out the noise and allows the podcaster to delve into a subject that you aren't able to get on radio or tv. The Council on Foreign Relations is good source of information.

As for the hardcore Hawk fan I can't get enough of decent Hawkeye discussions, especially when they are playing well. I actually feel the message boards are the waste of time and good nuggets of info are on the podcasts.:cool:

I am mostly all podcasts now. I can't help the original poster with national sports pods or shows other than the opening hour of Dan Patrick. And I only like that show because of the chemistry the whole gang has and Dan's relationships with most every guest makes the interviews different than anything else I hear. Other than that I can't stand national shows, especially the weekend folks.

OnIowa, AllHawkeye, HawkeyeReport, HawkeyeHuddle, BlackHeartGoldPodcast, Two-StarHawkeye, HawkeyeNation, BTNIowa, and BTNFootball.

My favorite is (by far) OnIowa. My least fav... Prolly HN (although Wolfgang is the shiz). BHGP has a lot of inside joking that can get old quickly. AllHawkeye has great guests (including former Hawk greats and even potential recruits-this past one... Toren Young). HawkeyeReport also has great guest, and do a great job of covering other Hawk sports (baseball, MBB, WBB, wrestling, etc-in fact, IIRC, Brands is an upcoming guest).

Latest posts