Nate Stanley Shows His Emotion

I bet it Was hard, great kid. I have no problem after watching that saying he played poorly today and needs to play better these next 2 days.. It was hard to watch him today and I’m ready to see who replaces him.

Stanley needs a very good QB coach to mentor him if he wants a chance To be a backup QB at the next level. He has an NFL arm, but needs lots of work!!

Nobody is doubting the kids effort. I'm sure he is trying his best, but he just isn't very good. Has an outstanding arm, and will make some good plays, like the sack he avoided and the throw to ISM, however they are mixed in with far too many bad plays. It just looks like it takes too long for him to process things, and make decisions. Missed a lot of throws today to guys that were WIDE open that a senior qb just shouldn't miss.

There's a reason it's called "armchair quarterback" and not "armchair fullback."
Nate is going to be in the record books at Iowa as one of the best we have ever had. I'm sure he would like to have more touchdown passes and a few more wins, but to me he is the epitome of what we want a Hawkeye to be. He is a good person, well thought of by his coaches and teammates and will leave his jersey in a better place as they say. He has also helped win a lot of games and I am glad he is our quarterback.

Nate is going to be in the record books at Iowa as one of the best we have ever had. I'm sure he would like to have more touchdown passes and a few more wins, but to me he is the epitome of what we want a Hawkeye to be. He is a good person, well thought of by his coaches and teammates and will leave his jersey in a better place as they say. He has also helped win a lot of games and I am glad he is our quarterback.

Record books are fun to look at. :)

He's come a long way from the middle school kid my nephew would play against in basketball tournaments in LaCrosse and Stevens Point back in 2011 and 2012. (Wisconsin's Tyler Biadasz and Garret Groshek played in those same tournaments)

Not so sure about my nephew. He attends Iowa State.

Nobody is doubting the kids effort. I'm sure he is trying his best, but he just isn't very good. Has an outstanding arm, and will make some good plays, like the sack he avoided and the throw to ISM, however they are mixed in with far too many bad plays. It just looks like it takes too long for him to process things, and make decisions. Missed a lot of throws today to guys that were WIDE open that a senior qb just shouldn't miss.
I have always wondered what kind of numbers he could have put up with that arm, last year's stud tight ends, and this year's competent receiver group, had he been allowed to sacrifice a few more interceptions for many more big plays. Maybe he can fall into a good situation with a good coach at the next level, learn at the feet of a master for a few years, and turn into Jimmy Garropolo or Matt Stafford or someone.

He's got the physical tools. But he can't overthrow open receivers at the next level, or throw behind crossing and seam routes, because he fears the INT. He's gonna throw INT's. Even Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady throw them. But the narrative was established going way back to Iowa State that we were going to lean on the defense and our kicking game this year. It may even have been established going way back to Mississippi State in the Outback Bowl.

I see other quarterbacks around the league throw the endzone fade or the back shoulder throw and see Stanley struggle with both, because the fear of the INT leaves his receiver with little room to improvise. Coan hit Quentin Cephus with a beautiful back shoulder TD in today's game. Stanley MUST hit those throws, and have confidence throwing them, to have ANY chance at the next level.

Last edited:
He was dropping some dimes today.
That is much more difficult at 25 yards then 10. He did well and we keep doing that kind of stuff and they won't be able to crowd the box.
Definitely gives Braska something to think about. Pick your poison.

I don’t disagree at all that he’s a good guy and cares about the team itself and his teammates.

But unfortunately that’s not what wins conference championships. The kid has whiffed more opportunities than he’s capitalized on, and he’s choked in almost every critical game in his career. I’m happy that Iowa was such a significant experience for him and that he feels it helped him grow. But I’m also glad we will have a different quarterback next year.

Will Petras be better? I have no idea. But people need to stop being so sensitive about Stanley and stop confusing not liking him as a quarterback with bashing him as a person. The two are not the same thing.

I don’t disagree at all that he’s a good guy and cares about the team itself and his teammates.

But unfortunately that’s not what wins conference championships. The kid has whiffed more opportunities than he’s capitalized on, and he’s choked in almost every critical game in his career. I’m happy that Iowa was such a significant experience for him and that he feels it helped him grow. But I’m also glad we will have a different quarterback next year.

Will Petras be better? I have no idea. But people need to stop being so sensitive about Stanley and stop confusing not liking him as a quarterback with bashing him as a person. The two are not the same thing.
I see where your coming from. Trace McSorley, by many accounts, is a class A D-Bag. Some of his own teammates may has despised him. But McSorley was clutch, led game saving comebacks, won in Indy, won big bowl games.

As for next year, the schedule alone is goimg to make it tough for whoever wins the job. Hence my tongue in cheek post on the sister thread regarding Stanley currently on the Forum. We won't miss Stanley's gripping in the clutch on the biggest stages. But we may come to miss some of his more calming attributes, as well as his big arm.

Latest posts