Nate Meier

As we look at the running back situation for next year, I think the forgotten guy is Nate Meier. I know many people here are projecting him at multiple positions, but not really running back.

Meier is starting at running back this fall and is definitely physically ready. The kid is as strong as an ox and is very tough. He might not have the top-end speed that many love, but he can be a workhorse back.

Like many others, I think Garmon can come in and be a real factor, and I look for Johnson to show something. I really liked what I saw in his limited action. I think, though, Meier may surprise us all.

Not sold on him being a feature back, and I think he will eventually play a different position. But I wouldn't be shocked if he's used as a stopgap at some point this year.

i really think barkley hill will be the guy with garmon to impress. hill is a physical runner with more top end speed than meier. i think meier has a much bigger upside at linebacker.

we really have more capable backs than most realize the bad thing is experience

deandre johnson, damon bullock, andre dawson, greg garmon, barkley hill, nate meier (i think changes position)

that is six capable backs with mixes of power and speed and down hill and slashers. and you cant count brad rogers out of playing in some single back sets along with being the starting fb.

Hopefully Meier does surprise us all. It wouldn't be a complete surprise if he did do well. Coker didn't exactly have top end speed and he flourished at Iowa.

i dont doubt him as a rb i just think that other rbs could do similar damage. and mix in the fact that i think on the defensive side he would make a bigger impact.

i like what all our rbs bring to the table.

i will put my money on barkley hill having the most upside in the offensive scheme of iowa as i think he has the best overall combo of power, speed, slashing...etc

i dont doubt him as a rb i just think that other rbs could do similar damage. and mix in the fact that i think on the defensive side he would make a bigger impact.i like what all our rbs bring to the table.i will put my money on barkley hill having the most upside in the offensive scheme of iowa as i think he has the best overall combo of power, speed, slashing...etc

For the love of Albert Young stop baiting AIRBHG...

Not sold on him being a feature back, and I think he will eventually play a different position. But I wouldn't be shocked if he's used as a stopgap at some point this year.

sorry tm he's not going to be a running back all 4 years. not with the fram he already has.

Well one of the coaches (just the other day) said he was being recruited for the rb spot, so it is his for the taking. I could really see him being a punisher (as said, he is built like a bsh). I recall him saying that is the spot he wanted, so lets just see how bad he wants it.

Last edited:
Well one of the coaches (just the other day) said he was being recruited for the rb spot, so it is his for the taking. I could really see him being a punisher (as said, he is built like a bsh). I recall him saying that is the spot he wanted, so lets just see how bad he wants it.

i have no problem with him being a running back. but just remember rodney coe was recruited to be a rb also (remember how that turned out).

you are right being on pace to break the career rushing record doesnt equal flourishing.

blam.jpg

i have no problem with him being a running back. but just remember rodney coe was recruited to be a rb also (remember how that turned out).

Yeah, I am not talking about before he signed. Just the other day, I think it was RM who said, right now they are recruiting him on that side of the ball.

coe signed his loi as a rb recruit and the coaches said they were planning on him being an rb when he got to campus. then he went to iwcc and played 1 yr at rb...now he is a de.

coe signed his loi as a rb recruit and the coaches said they were planning on him being an rb when he got to campus. then he went to iwcc and played 1 yr at rb...now he is a de.

I get that. That is how football works. When asked the other day RM said " I tell you what, I think he’s being recruited as a runningback right now. We’ll see. We’ll see. I think he could play a lot of positions."
He is not talking about what they said in the kids living room. They are talking about the rb coach giving him a shot now during drills (to see what he's got). I assume he is practicing, don't you?
I am sure RM would not mind having him on that side of the ball, but it sounds to me like they want to see what kind of upside he has at rb first.
If he does not make it, he will go back into the pool and other coaches can then say, hey I think he could fit over here. Thats football:)

Latest posts