Name to keep in mind...

Looks like more of a first-round flame-out than Alfie. Had mediocrity, one Elite 8 run, then mediocrity, then resignation. Pass.

Mark Gottfried, got it thanks.

He is currently my 197th choice, just behind Les Jepsen and right in front of not having a men's basketball program.

No where did I say i'm endorsing him as the next hire. I said keep the name in mind.

But,
Seriously some of you people crack me up. 1st round flameout? Another Alfie? 197th coaching option? You realize only a few teams/coaches make it past the 1st round of the tourney on a consistent basis? A good portion of those same teams + a few others are virtual locks for the tourney every year, thus leaving a few teams to scrap for the remaining bids.

Who are we really going to get that meets that criteria people? Most on here are stating we need a recruiter and a man with a track record. He has both. He led Murray St. to the Postseason in all three years. He was an assistant for the '95 UCLA team. Then took over at Alabama and led them to the dance for the 1st time since '95 and kept them successful.

Again, i'm not here to promote. I'm here to be realistic. I just don't know who you people really believe we are gonna get. Enlighten me...

we might as well put every coach in college basketball up for the position with all the names being thrown in there on this board.

NCAA @ Iowa under Tom Davis:
1986-1987 Iowa 30-5 14-4 3rd NCAA Elite 8
1987-1988 Iowa 24-10 12-6 3rd NCAA Sweet 16
1988-1989 Iowa 23-10 10-8 4th NCAA 2nd Round
1990-1991 Iowa 21-11 9-9 T-5th NCAA 2nd Round
1991-1992 Iowa 19-11 10-8 5th NCAA 2nd Round
1992-1993 Iowa 23-9 11-7 T-3rd NCAA 2nd Round
1995-1996 Iowa 23-9 11-7 4th NCAA 2nd Round
1996-1997 Iowa 22-10 12-6 T-2nd NCAA 2nd Round
1998-1999 Iowa 20-10 9-7 T-3rd NCAA Sweet 16

Never a First-Round exit. Multiple Second-Round, but also multiple Sweet 16s & an Elite 8 --- We hired Alford to do BETTER.

NCAA @ Iowa under Tom Davis:
1986-1987 Iowa 30-5 14-4 3rd NCAA Elite 8
1987-1988 Iowa 24-10 12-6 3rd NCAA Sweet 16
1988-1989 Iowa 23-10 10-8 4th NCAA 2nd Round
1990-1991 Iowa 21-11 9-9 T-5th NCAA 2nd Round
1991-1992 Iowa 19-11 10-8 5th NCAA 2nd Round
1992-1993 Iowa 23-9 11-7 T-3rd NCAA 2nd Round
1995-1996 Iowa 23-9 11-7 4th NCAA 2nd Round
1996-1997 Iowa 22-10 12-6 T-2nd NCAA 2nd Round
1998-1999 Iowa 20-10 9-7 T-3rd NCAA Sweet 16

Never a First-Round exit. Multiple Second-Round, but also multiple Sweet 16s & an Elite 8 --- We hired Alford to do BETTER.

So you are saying we need to hire Tom Davis I gather? I don't need a history lesson on the past. You people who complain about 1st round flameouts are funny. We can't even sniff the postseason. We need to start somewhere. It's gonna take quite awhile to get back to where we were and just maybe we are not capable of being "BETTER." So who on the list of candidates can guarantee better that we are really going to get here???

So you are saying we need to hire Tom Davis I gather? I don't need a history lesson on the past. You people who complain about 1st round flameouts are funny. We can't even sniff the postseason. We need to start somewhere. It's gonna take quite awhile to get back to where we were and just maybe we are not capable of being "BETTER." So who on the list of candidates can guarantee better that we are really going to get here???
I absolutely am not advocating Tom Davis for the job. It is you who asserted that most coaches don't get past the first round on a regular basis and that you're trying to be "realistic." In one example from our own school I showed how a coach can do just that.

You also assert that we may not be able to do better. Do we then lower our expectations and not strive for similar and/or better success? Isn't that the very reason TL was canned 3 years into a multi-million dollar contract?

You want a name of one who can get us there guaranteed. Zeus. Not on the short-list? I guess we'll have to deal with who is available. Of the people available, I am only trying to assert that Iowa can find candidates with more impressive resumes than your suggestion, and maybe a more impressive resume than Davis'.

I absolutely am not advocating Tom Davis for the job. It is you who asserted that most coaches don't get past the first round on a regular basis and that you're trying to be "realistic." In one example from our own school I showed how a coach can do just that.

You also assert that we may not be able to do better. Do we then lower our expectations and not strive for similar and/or better success? Isn't that the very reason TL was canned 3 years into a multi-million dollar contract?

You want a name of one who can get us there guaranteed. Zeus. Not on the short-list? I guess we'll have to deal with who is available. Of the people available, I am only trying to assert that Iowa can find candidates with more impressive resumes than your suggestion, and maybe a more impressive resume than Davis'.

Again Hawkey3 I know coaches CAN do that. I'm asking who on our current list of "realistic" candidates can do that? Dixon? Yes. Drew? Maybe. He has built his program. He has yet to have long term success. Not to say he can't. Other than that who can we clamor as having "better" success than what you are setting the bar we must pass?
I'm hoping for the stars to man. We all are. I'd love to get a coach that can get us to Elite 8's and Final Four's. Again I will say again, for now I'm fine with someone who can get us talent and competitive again. We are more or less on the same page but honestly there is NOT many candidates with better resumes than Davis' that are coming here. Atleast not now...

Latest posts