Name 2 commits that will play and have impact in 2011???

clim33

Coe - I think he will be part of a 3/4 headed monster that will kick *** for the next 3 years

Law - Got a feeling he is a strong spec teamer early and sees the field in a safety position late in the year

With the shortage at RB I think it's going to be hard to red shirt any RB commit this year so right off the bat Coe/McCall come to mind. However if Coker, Johnson, and Coe stay healthy McCall would be the one to red shirt.

Otherwise like you said, Law also comes to mind. With the gaping hole left by Sash and Greenwood it's a perfect opportunity for Law to jump in as a true freshman.

I don't see any of the incoming frosh making an impact next year other than adding special teams depth and at certain positions. think McCall plays ahead of Coe next year at RB if not both and I see Grant getting a shot to add some depth at WR, same with any one of the LB's.

It all depends on how much Coe and McCall develop their pass blocking skills. You could see one or the other step up huge if they can pick up the blitz.

Law on Special Teams will be big.

Have a real good feeling about John Raymon. He may not explode on the scene his freshman year but this guy is going to be an All-American before it's all said and done.

Orloff (sp tms hitter); Heiar (would not be surprised if he won an open Guard spot); Campbell (speed).

I think Grant is the most likely to make an impact at a position. I think in the secondary we might be pleasantly surprised with the guys we have back (Donatell, Miller, Bernstine, Nielsen, etc.). But WR isn't just lacking experienced depth, it's a position lacking numbers overall (we lost 7 WR's, including practice squad, 4 of whom contributed in some capacity last year). There are fewer players there, and the ones expected to contribute are all young outside of McNutt and Davis.

Other than that, I can't peg anyone who I think will make an impact on offense or defense. I think there are several that will make a significant impact on special teams, though. Namely Law.

Coe or McCall (one will redshirt)- Remember redshirts can be taken off if necessary. So the one that picks things up first will not redshirt. Strangely I think Coe redshirts and McCall plays because I think they will want Coe to think about whether he is better off as a LB.

Heiar - I have to go with the JUCO kid because they don't bring in a lot of them and if they will bring him in they must believe he can compete to play right away.

Jacob Hillyer on offense. Less heralded then some of our other recruits but put up video game numbers in high school and had the alleged size and speed to play as a true freshman. Could, and should, make an impact next year.

Defensively, either Spears or Alston should push for PT at LB. I don't think we have an opening for an incoming recruit on D (I see Bernstine and Miller starting at safety), but with our injury problems at LB, I think the bigger recruits will have a shot to play.

I can't get it down to two players that I believe will have an impact. On offense I believe both Coe and Heier will be a nice addition. I believe Coe will get some nice playing time. Hopefully nothing happens to Coker so it isn't too much playing time. With Heier, I think he will get some playing time on the line with what I recall to be 2 seniors leaving.

On defense, I would say Campbell will get some solid playing time and will be able to help. I think down the road Law and Alston will be great players down the road, just I think the first one help out will be Campbell.

Jacob Hillyer on offense. Less heralded then some of our other recruits but put up video game numbers in high school and had the alleged size and speed to play as a true freshman. Could, and should, make an impact next year.

Defensively, either Spears or Alston should push for PT at LB. I don't think we have an opening for an incoming recruit on D (I see Bernstine and Miller starting at safety), but with our injury problems at LB, I think the bigger recruits will have a shot to play.

So Scout is saying speed is NOT one of Hilyard's strengths. Is this another Scout measurement issue?

I think he is quick. Don't know how fast he will be compared to upper class dbs. No doubt Hilyard could be good.

I don't see a frosh WR coming in this year and doing anything more than being a special teams player. I think we will see CJ as a slot and H-back and TE. Plus I think Martin-Manley and Shumpert and other WRs will step up. Look for CJ to be used a lot like Clark was to get match-ups to help the new QB.

I agree on Heiar - dont think we bring a juco lineman if the staff doesn't think he will compete/win a spot on the line. Other than that - maybe some apecial teams players..maybe.

I don't see a frosh WR coming in this year and doing anything more than being a special teams player. I think we will see CJ as a slot and H-back and TE. Plus I think Martin-Manley and Shumpert and other WRs will step up. Look for CJ to be used a lot like Clark was to get match-ups to help the new QB.

I certainly hope you're right. CJF could create the biggest mismatches in the passing game of any WR/TE that Ferentz has had, including Clark. CJF has quite a bit more size on DC, and possibly just as much speed (if his 40 time was accurate). That's a matchup nightmare.

So Scout is saying speed is NOT one of Hilyard's strengths. Is this another Scout measurement issue?

Hard to say. Rivals has him at 4.5 but that's not verified. In the interview he gave after committing, though, he did quite a bit of beading about his speed. He said he got a lot faster after his junior season, but if that 4.5 is accurate, that's plenty fast. Significantly fewer guys run a 4.4 than claim to.

I think Heiar is

Nice. That only solidifies our o-line even more. If we don't have the top line in the Big Ten next year, it will be no lower than tied for 2nd...

I like bringing in a couple jucos every year. It adds an outside perspective to the team and instant experience. Both of which are healthy for any team.

A juco the likes of CJ Jones would be sweet! We haven't ran the jailbreak well since him...

Latest posts