N. Carolina

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

They are the best rebounding team in America. They go 6'10", 6'10", 6'11", and another 6'11" upfront and generally play 2 of those trees at the same time, most of the time. They are one of the younger teams in the country, but always have a top 25 (or better) recruiting class. Their guards are quick.
If I'm not mistaken, Roy will double team Luka every time he touches, so it's up to him to beat it or find the open shooter.
Nunge and Ke. Murray need to crash the glass, as well as the guards. It's prolly ok if they out rebound us, as long as we are close statistically.
I blv this team is better than their #16 ranking shows.

UPDATE: Andy Katz has N. Car. up to a #9 ranking, having been 1 possession away from winning the Maui Invitational Tournament.

They are the best rebounding team in America. They go 6'10", 6'10", 6'11", and another 6'11" upfront and generally play 2 of those trees at the same time, most of the time. They are one of the younger teams in the country, but always have a top 25 (or better) recruiting class. Their guards are quick.
If I'm not mistaken, Roy will double team Luka every time he touches, so it's up to him to beat it or find the open shooter.
Nunge and Ke. Murray need to crash the glass, as well as the guards. It's prolly ok if they out rebound us, as long as we are close statistically.

Yeah its going to be interesting to see how this will play out. I didn't know they were that towering upfront. Yeah I agree that Nunge and Keegan Murray will have to really help out on defense and grab rebounds. I think Patrick McCaffery could be a difference maker.

We are going to have to be "on" from outside if Garza is unable to handle the double team which is a distinct possibility.

One thing that isn't getting mentioned much or at all is TO margin. UNC is averaging 10 AST and 15.8 TOs per game (This is really bad with their AST/TO ranking 246th in the nation). Compared to Iowa's 24 AST & 10 TOs per game (AST/TO currently ranked 3rd in the nation). Granted Iowa's schedule has been much weaker to this point but it's at least another thing to look at. UNC will need to take care of the ball or Iowa will make them pay as they are easily the most efficient offensive team they will have faced.

Connor seems to have improved from the 3pt line. Nunge can hit the 3 pointer. Pull one of those big guys away from the basket.

Moot point since Iowa's going to make ALL their shots!!

I was actually very surprised to see Iowa has an all-time advantage of 3-1 in this game. Should have saw how surprised a poster was in their forum!!

Both of these wins @ NC.
1988 game didn't have the finish but Ed Horton blocks a final NC shot and Iowa wins.

I'm just happy that we will finally get to find out where this team really stands...or a decent measuring stick game. I mean...beating up on RPI 250 and worse teams doesn't really give you a good gauge...this will.

Hopefully Garza doesn't force things too much. That will work against less talented teams but it will be important for him to defer to open shooters more.

Hopefully Garza doesn't force things too much. That will work against less talented teams but it will be important for him to defer to open shooters more.

I think a key this game will be how Garza finds the open look on the perimeter. They have some taller players so wondering how Garza is going to do getting the ball out to an open shooter quick. Will see how many assists Garza ends up with.

Yup We just have to shoot a high % because we won't get many 2nd shots. And we gotta hope UNC continues to not shoot very well because I think they'll get a chunk of offensive boards. That seems to be their shtick. Hopefully Nunge is really ready to ball because he'll be the X factor. I know he doesn't start but against that lineup we'll need him to have an impact

Yup We just have to shoot a high % because we won't get many 2nd shots. And we gotta hope UNC continues to not shoot very well because I think they'll get a chunk of offensive boards. That seems to be their shtick. Hopefully Nunge is really ready to ball because he'll be the X factor. I know he doesn't start but against that lineup we'll need him to have an impact
With JBo playing middle school bball, maybe he should start (Nunge)

With JBo playing middle school bball, maybe he should start (Nunge)
Yeah this is a game where J Bo could really be exposed... He'll have to play well or JT will get more PT. He's gotta start not only hitting shots but playing more aggressive overall. He seems really passive out there. I get the whole feed Garza thing but CJF and JW aren't afraid to go get theirs when they get their touches and neither should JBo.

With JBo playing middle school bball, maybe he should start (Nunge)- Ian Pike Hammer

Yeah this is a game where J Bo could really be exposed... He'll have to play well or JT will get more PT. He's gotta start not only hitting shots but playing more aggressive overall. He seems really passive out there. I get the whole feed Garza thing but CJF and JW aren't afraid to go get theirs when they get their touches and neither should JBo. -- Hawkfnntn

Oops!

With JBo playing middle school bball, maybe he should start (Nunge)- Ian Pike Hammer

Yeah this is a game where J Bo
could really be exposed... He'll have to play well or JT will get more PT. He's gotta start not only hitting shots but playing more aggressive overall. He seems really passive out there. I get the whole feed Garza thing but CJF and JW aren't afraid to go get theirs when they get their touches and neither should JBo. -- Hawkfnntn

Oops!
I wasn't wrong about how he had been playing before last night. I wasn't predicting he'd continue to play bad but only what would happen if he did. JBo was his old self last night. He was way more aggressive in looking for shots and obviously hitting them. He took more shots then he had the previous 3 games combined I bet. I stand by what I said.

Latest posts