Mystery

This is a genuine question-
What exactly happened that Ferentz was so successful at Iowa years ago and doing so poorly now? For that matter, it would be nice to know what makes one coach better than another at this level when presumably the best of the best have been selected. I think I can understand recruiting skills, application of novel X/Os, instilling discipline, decent game management, etc. But my guess is that most high school coaches can do a reasonable job in those areas. Why IS Bill Snyder Bill Snyder. Chris Petersen. Or the TCU guy whose name escapes me. What do they have that Ferentz lost? Can it be possible that he just quit trying? What else is there for an explanation?

Answer is easy: No Bob Sanders, Greenway, Hodge, Hinkel to make 3rd down catches. These and other incredible athletes made up for KFs aweful Offensive and Defensive Schemes, and lack of inspiration and gameday coaching and planning

I recently met up with a friend that played on the 09,10, and 11 teams and I asked him some questions about the program. Some of his responses reinforce what people have been saying for awhile while some caught me off guard. *Note to reader the views and reflections of this friend is only his own.

I asked this friend what has changed from that successful stretch of 02,03, and 04 and his response was the program's negative view on individuals. What he meant by this statement is that the team wants players with a team mentality and to not stand out on their own. There is nothing wrong with this approach, I think it's safe to say nobody likes an arrogant person. But my friend said sometimes the program over compensates leaving players with an ambiguous view on how to respond. My friend used the likes of Roth, Greenway, Hodge, Tate, Greene, Stanzi, Mcnutt, Clark, etc. as examples. The players are told to not stand out on one end, but the players listed above naturally drew attention due to the fact they were naturally talented. The goal is to put the best talent on the field that does not disrupt the team. My friend felt sometimes players that were less talented than others were favored due to this approach.

Another topic he covered was Ferentz's loyalty to assistant coaches. This friend has complete faith in Kirk Ferentz and feels he is an outstanding head coach who helps build and develop young men into outstanding athletes, scholars, and adulthood men. This friend feels that some of the assistant coaches have an abrasive style of coaching which is pushing kids away from the football program. Some of the players never fully invest into the program making it easier to quit and to put themselves in unfavorable situations. The attrition of players over the past few years has really left the team bare and my friend feels this has something to do with certain assistant coaches. Kirk has remained loyal to his assistants which is what you like to see out of a head coach, but at times maybe it is time for reevaluation.

Scheme... My friend felt in his personal opinion that Iowa needs to update certain aspects of its offensive and defensive scheme. As time passes change is brought upon and you must adapt or get left behind. He feels we shouldn't abandon everything, but rather update the much needed areas. This friend also said that people blamed Ken O Keefe and Norm Parker to much.

Again these opinions and views are only of my friend who played recently for Iowa. He supports the team and says we are in good hands with Ferentz, but maybe some tweaking could be necessary.

I recently met up with a friend that played on the 09,10, and 11 teams and I asked him some questions about the program. Some of his responses reinforce what people have been saying for awhile while some caught me off guard. *Note to reader the views and reflections of this friend is only his own.

I asked this friend what has changed from that successful stretch of 02,03, and 04 and his response was the program's negative view on individuals. What he meant by this statement is that the team wants players with a team mentality and to not stand out on their own. There is nothing wrong with this approach, I think it's safe to say nobody likes an arrogant person. But my friend said sometimes the program over compensates leaving players with an ambiguous view on how to respond. My friend used the likes of Roth, Greenway, Hodge, Tate, Greene, Stanzi, Mcnutt, Clark, etc. as examples. The players are told to not stand out on one end, but the players listed above naturally drew attention due to the fact they were naturally talented. The goal is to put the best talent on the field that does not disrupt the team. My friend felt sometimes players that were less talented than others were favored due to this approach.

Another topic he covered was Ferentz's loyalty to assistant coaches. This friend has complete faith in Kirk Ferentz and feels he is an outstanding head coach who helps build and develop young men into outstanding athletes, scholars, and adulthood men. This friend feels that some of the assistant coaches have an abrasive style of coaching which is pushing kids away from the football program. Some of the players never fully invest into the program making it easier to quit and to put themselves in unfavorable situations. The attrition of players over the past few years has really left the team bare and my friend feels this has something to do with certain assistant coaches. Kirk has remained loyal to his assistants which is what you like to see out of a head coach, but at times maybe it is time for reevaluation.

Scheme... My friend felt in his personal opinion that Iowa needs to update certain aspects of its offensive and defensive scheme. As time passes change is brought upon and you must adapt or get left behind. He feels we shouldn't abandon everything, but rather update the much needed areas. This friend also said that people blamed Ken O Keefe and Norm Parker to much.

Again these opinions and views are only of my friend who played recently for Iowa. He supports the team and says we are in good hands with Ferentz, but maybe some tweaking could be necessary.

good first post

^^This is so blatantly wrong. How old are you NCHawker. I am 60 and listened to the hawks all the time in the 60s as a kid and there were many, older men like my dad who was in high school during the iron men days who just loved the hawks though the 60s and 70s. My mom was a huge fan during the 50s to early 70s.

If you arent around 60 years old you have no idea what Iowa football was to people growing up in the 30's, 40's and 50's and how that has continued. My dad and many men never went to Iowa but graduated from high school and also watched the Iowa Pre-flight teams dominate other football teams during WW II. Do you know who Iowa Pre-Flight is?

I was 8 years old watching Evy's last rose bowl team with my mom and other family members. My Dad owned bars and restaurants and he would rget a couple of car loads of guys whenever he could to drive up to Kinnick for a game. And WHO and other radio stations kept Iowa football on a lot of radios.

uihawk82, I'm 52. I mis spoke, I wasn't thinking about before the 60's I was refering to the long drought of the 60's and 70's. You have to admit things really changed across the state (not for you) but Hawkeye mania really took hold after Fry.

One of the things people fail to point out that I think is a big issue is the pass rush. The defensive style they like to run is predicated on getting a strong pass rush from the front four alone. In 2009 it wasn't bad, but they didn't live up to their potential in 2010. From 2005 to 2008, it was mediocre to decent. Until we can get after the QB more consistently, that defense won't work like it should. The other thing the defense misses is a playmaker in the middle of the secondary. We don't have a guy like Tyler Sash who always seemed to come up with a turnover. We don't have the hard hitters like Bobby Sanders or Damien Robinson or a Johnny on the spot guy like Sean Considine.

Latest posts