My WAAAY too early 2013 predictions

twade70

Here you go. Predicted NCAA finalists and finishes for each Hawkeye:

125 McDonough (IA) vs. Delgado (IL)
Graduating AAs: Sanders (MN-3rd), Perrelli (Cornell-4th), Bedelyon (Kent St.-6th)
- McDonough is looking to become Iowa's 7th 3-timer (Ed Banach, Jim Zalesky, Barry Davis, Tom Brands, Lincoln McIlravy and Joe Williams). Can he make 125 next year?
- Delgado had a monster year as a RS Freshman and is a tough matchup for McD. I think he continues to make strides this offseason and gets to the 2013 finals
- Other contenders are Waters (Mizzou) and Mango (Stanford). Megaludis (PSU) is obviously one as well, but I think he's moving up to 133. Just a guess.

133 Stieber (Ohio St) vs. Ramos (IA)
Graduating AAs: Stevens (Mich-7th)
- I think Oliver is moving up to 141 next year. He cuts a lot of weight to make 133. Stieber was really impressive as a freshman and is only going to get better
- Good to see Tony AA this year after fizzling out in the Rof12 in 2011. He improved leaps and bounds last offseason; if he can do the same this summer, he's got a chance at getting past Stieber
- Tyler Graff (Wisconsin) comes off Olympic RS and will be in the top 4 at this weight. Only a Jr., he finished 5th as both a freshman and a sophomore
- Scotti Sentes (CMU) is another big returner. Taking a RS this year, he's a 3-time NQ and 2-time AA (7th in 2009 and 4th in 2011). Dominated Ramos at NCAAs last year, riding him like crazy to a 2-0 win. He should be ranked in the preseason top 5.

141 Oliver (Oklahoma St.) vs. Maple (OU)
Graduating AAs: Russell (Mich-1st), Marion (IA-2nd), Novachkov (CalPoly-3rd)
- Oliver's resume: 4th in 2010, 1st in 2011 and now 2nd in 2012. Assuming he moves up, he's a lock for the finals with the graduations of Montell, Russell and Novachkov. After watching the replay of his finals match vs. Stieber, he looked a bit off. Plus he should have scored that TD at the end. Not sure what the ref was looking at.
- Nice 4th place finish for Maple. This will be a fun finals match. Maple is ridiculously explosive and a big guy at this weight. Part of me wonders if he moves up to 149 - that weight is clearing out a bit.
- Mark Ballweg is my pick to represent the Hawks at this weight (though it's going to be a dogfight between him and Dwieza throughout the year). Either of those guys is going to have an uphill battle to AA despite the graduation of some of the top guys. Hunter Stieber (Ohio St), Mangrum (Oregon St), Sueflohn (NEB), and N. Dardanes (MN) all return and are all outside threats to make the finals. Ballweg/Dwieza place 8th.

149 Ness (MN) vs. Chamberlain (BSU)
Graduating AAs: Molinaro (PSU-1st), Nauman (Pitt-5th)
Other Graduates: Parks (Okie St. - 2 seed, DNP)
- Ness has a shot at having a better career than his brother (Jayson had finishes of 5th, 2nd, 3rd and 1st). So impressed with his ability to score NF points off his half series. He's the man to beat next year.
- Chamberlain is going to be coming off a RS. He's a 3-time NQ and 1-time AA (3rd in 2011).
- Also watch out for Vinson of Binghamton (finished 3rd this year after losing 1st round), Grajales of Michigan and Andrew Alton (PSU) who's coming off RS.
- Jake Ballweg is my pick to represent the Hawks at 149. I think he's a NQ, losing in the Rof12.

157 Dake (Cornell) vs. St. John (IA)
Graduating AAs: Sanjaa (Amer-6th)
- Dake's looking to become only the 3rd 4-time Champ (Pat Smith of Okie St. and Cael are the other 2). From all accounts, he's staying at 157, which would be a smart choice. My line for a potential Dake vs. Taylor match is now Taylor (-4.5).
- I'm interested to see how much improvement we see out of DSJ this summer. Unbelievable NCAA for him after all he went through this year. I'm assuming he's going under the knife pretty soon here. I hope his recovery goes quickly so he can get back on the mat soon.
- Everyone's favorite wrestler, the Donger (VA Tech) will be back next year. Also Welch (NW) and Dylan Alton (PSU) will be threats.

165 Taylor (PSU) vs. Howe (WIS)
Graduating AAs: Hatchett (LEH-2nd), Abudrakhmanov (Clar-3rd), Blevins (AppSt.-4th), Jordan (WIS-7th)
Other Graduates: Onufer (Wyo - 2 seed, DNP), Sorenson (ISU - 3 seed, DNP)
- Taylor lapped the field this year. Holy hell.
- Howe's tough, but we saw at last year's Midlands what happens when he goes against an elite offensive wrestler - Burroughs beat him 10-7. I don't think he can hang with Taylor.
- Tyler Caldwell is another name to watch. He RS this year and has AA'd the last 2 years, finishing 5th in 2010 and 2nd in 2011 (knocking off Howe in the semis). He left Oklahoma for Nebraska, but there's rumors he's now going elsewhere (Okie St, Minny, Iowa, ISU?). He also may make the move to 174 (he wrestled 174 for OU for half of the 2010-2011 season). Yates (Va Tech) and Asper (MD) are also back after finishing 5th and 6th. Also look out for Kokesh (NEB) who looked good early in the season but faded toward the end.
- I think Evans will be here again next year. There's a chance he moves up to 174, but for now I've got him at this weight. Obviously a disappointing finish, going 1-2 (though his win was over the 4th place finisher) after a pretty promising freshman year. I think Evans ends up 4th next year.

174 Perry (Oklahoma St.) vs. Storley (MN)
Graduating AAs: Amuchastegui (STAN-2nd), DesRoches (CalPoly-8th)
- After failing to AA as a RS Freshman, Perry finished 3rd this year. With Ruth moving up to 184 and Amuchastegui graduating, I see him as the favorite for 2013.
- Storley did really well this year as a true freshman, finishing 6th (losing to Heflin of Ohio St. in the 5th place match). I think he makes a leap this offseason for a berth in the finals.
- Ohio St.'s Nick Heflin (Rof12 in 2011, 5th in 2012) and Ethen Lofthouse (NQ in 2011, 7th in 2012) will return, but I don't see either of them as realistic NC contenders. Spangler of Iowa State would be another NC contender, but he suffered a concussion during Big 12s. He's had multiple concussion issues this year and unfortunately, his college career may be in jeopardy.
- It was pretty clear Ethen wasn't Tom Brands' favorite wrestler following NCAAs. I think Ethen needs to have to show significant improvement this offseason as Brands is not going to be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Provided he's still the starter in 2012-2013, I've got him penciled in with another low AA finish: 6th

184 Ruth (PSU) vs. Hamlin (LEH)
Graduating AAs: Trotman (AppSt-3rd), Leblanc (WYO-7th)
- If it wasn't for David Taylor, Ruth would have won Outstanding Wrestler in a blowout this weekend. Even with a move up to 184 (this is happening) he's going to be the favorite next year.
- Hamlin is my pick out of a deep field. In fact, of the top 12 seeds at this year's NCAAs, all but 3 (#1 LeBlanc (Wyoming), #9 Trotman (App. St.) and #11 Clymer (Hofstra)) will be back next year. Good Lord this weight is going to be stacked once again.
- Cornell's Bosak (4th in 2011, 1st in 2012) returns as well and is going to be an obvious contender. Same with Minnesota's Steinhaus (8th in 2011, 5th in 2012). Gambrall has quite a road to climb to even get back to the podium after his underachieving 2012. I'll say Gambrall finishes 8th with room for improvement.

197 Kilgore (Kent St.) vs. Wright (PSU)
Graduating AAs: Simaz (Corn-1st), Honeycutt (Edin-2nd), Byers (Okie St-3rd), Yohn (MN-5th), Kennedy (LEH-8th)
- After taking a RS, Kilgore (3-time NQ, 7th in 2011, 1st in 2012) is back next year. With Simaz and Honeycutt graduating, he's going to be the preseason favorite.
- I'm interested to see how Wright looks up another weight. I think the bonus points will come down, but he's still going to be looking for throws from every position. After overachieving in every NCAA tournament he's been in (2009 #11 seed and a 6th place finish, 2011 #9 and finished 1st, 2012 #6 and finished 2nd) I'm guessing he's going to be fine come tournament time.
- Pitt's Wilps (2-time NQ, 4th in 2012) is the other main NC contender at this weight.
- I'm guessing incoming recruit Nathan Burak is the guy at this weight for the Hawks. Being an upper weight true freshman is no picnic (though Burak's tenure at the OTC means he's not your typical true freshman). This year's finalists (and 3rd place finisher Byers of Okie St.) all leave, but there's still a lot of talent returning. I think Burak is a NQ and goes 2-2 at NCAAs.

HWT Bradley (Mizzou) vs. Gelogaev (Oklahoma St.)
Graduating AAs: Rey (LEH-2nd), Jack (OreSt.-4th), Flores (Amer-6th)
Other Graduates: Wade (PSU - 6 seed, DNP
- Bradley (3rd in 2011) is coming off an Olympic RS. I think he's going to go on a terror as a senior.
- Before a pec injury in the OU dual right before Big 12s, Gelogaev was the most dominant HWT in the country. We're talking about a guy who beat this year's national champ (Nelson) by a 15-6 margin.
- This was the toughest final for me to pick. Despite the loss of Rey (Rof12, 3rd, 1st, 2nd) and Flores (NQ, 2nd, 6th) to graduation (not to mention Wade of PSU) this weight is going to be absolutely stacked next year. Take a look at some of the other guys who will be back next year:

1. Chad Hanke (Oregon St.) - The Jack Hammer's backup, he's taking an Olympic RS and will be a senior next year. Wrestled at 197 for Oregon St. previously, but he's been in the 264.5 lb class at some freestyle tournaments this year and wrestled unattached in some tournaments where he's had some eye-opening results. At the Reno Tournament of Champions, he beat Gelogaev and 9th seeded Cooper. He knocked off 6th seeded Cameron Wade and 7th seeded Jeremy Johnson (7th) on his way to placing 3rd at the Southern Scuffle. 1-time NCAA qualifier

2. Jarod Trice (CMU) - also taking an Olympic RS, he's a 3-time NQ (8th in 2010 and 4th in 2011).

3. McMullan (NW) - finished 3rd this year as a RS freshman, dominated the Jack Hammer 10-5

4. Telford (IA) - finished 5th this year as a RS Freshman

5. Tony Nelson (Minnesota): finished 7th as a freshman and won it all this year. Duh.

- Bobby T finishes 5th for the 2nd consecutive year.

Last edited:
Great forecast twade.

I still wonder if McD will go up to 133 next year. I'd love to see him versus Stieber and potentially against Oliver if he stays put at 133.

Another thing, I agree that Brands was not happy with Lofthouse. The coaches left his 7th place match before he finished and Ethen had to run to catch up with them at the tunnel. I saw Brands' finger come out and I would love to know what was said :)

Good read TWade! I was actually thinking about this this morning in regards to IA, MN, & PSU. It's going to be interesting to see what happens at 141 & 149 and where Evans and Ethan wrestle. I forgot all about Trice and Sentes, they're going to make things a little more difficult.

This is awesome. I am going to disagree at 197 though. If you know about OkSt wrestling, and my in-laws are all graduates, its that Byers was not actually as good as Rosholt was this year. But nagging dings and promises made gave Byers the nod. I would put Rosholt at the top of the podium before any of your other finalists.

Good write up Wade. Doesn't Wisconsin have a good wrestler at 197 who took a RS this year?
Hwt class is going to be crazy next year. (especially in the BIG)
I still think Jimmy Lawson (PSU) could finish in the top 8.

It will be interesting to see how Gelogaev recovers from his 2nd Pec tear.
Thanks again for providing the above breakdown.

Good write up Wade. Doesn't Wisconsin have a good wrestler at 197 who took a RS this year?
Hwt class is going to be crazy next year. (especially in the BIG)
I still think Jimmy Lawson (PSU) could finish in the top 8.

It will be interesting to see how Gelogaev recovers from his 2nd Pec tear.
Thanks again for providing the above breakdown.

Wisconsin has a 184-pounder that took the Olympic RS this year in Travis Rutt. 2-time NQ, was the 4 seed last year and finished 7th. He's good, but I don't put him in the elite class of 184 pounders with Ruth, Hamlin, Bosak, etc.

Wisky got a 197lber in Peterson who is supposed to be a stud. Can't remember if he did ORS or he is a HS senior.

Latest posts