My thoughts on Sash & McNutt filing NFL paperwork

It makes you wonder if this fall of discontent isn't helping sew this seed. If they go I can't blame 'em. I hope they hear what they want to hear, but elect to stay.

I think McNutt would have the most to gain in coming back. Like Jon mentioned, Iowa's offensive line will be one of the best in the league next year, I happen to think it will be the best with all the returning starters. Couple that with a better ground game and it could all come down to how Vandenberg performs. McNutt probably knows Vandenbergs potential better than we do as he see's him in practice daily. Could be a huge senior campaign for McNutt.

So does anybody have any knowledge(or speculation) on what exactly the advisory board tells them??? Is it just a situation where they say you will be 3rd to 5th round or 5th to undrafted. Or do they just give blanket statements say you will probably play in the NFL if you go pro, but give no speculation on which round or do they say it's unlikely you will play in the nfl next year. Also I know there is rule in the nba(or used to be) that you can declare and if you don't go in the first round(or don't like where you go) and don't sign a agent u can go back to school. Is that possible in football or is that just nba/college bball.

So does anybody have any knowledge(or speculation) on what exactly the advisory board tells them??? Is it just a situation where they say you will be 3rd to 5th round or 5th to undrafted. Or do they just give blanket statements say you will probably play in the NFL if you go pro, but give no speculation on which round or do they say it's unlikely you will play in the nfl next year. Also I know there is rule in the nba(or used to be) that you can declare and if you don't go in the first round(or don't like where you go) and don't sign a agent u can go back to school. Is that possible in football or is that just nba/college bball.

I don't know if they can come back after the draft. That's not to say they can't, but I don't recall an instance where a player chose to do that.

Can't say that I know, but I think that the players get pretty detailed information. Ferentz doesn't try to snow them into staying, he gives the player as much information as he can, and the players are left to make their decision.

I have a hard time imagining either of their "stocks" will rise next year. Sash has two crazy good years to start out his career and its hard to replicate his INT numbers(which he didnt this year) so he is not gonna go any higher if he waits.

McNutt could but as a WR he is depending on a 1st year QB(2 starts I know but still green) so its iffy he gets better numbers.

I want them to stay but it makes sense to go.

Unfortunately, they are likely considering Clayborn's falling stock after this year in which he chose to return

Clayborn was probly a late first round pick last year. Some mock drafts still have him in Top 10 this year, and Kiper has him at 19 on his big board. His 'stock' is higher than it was one year ago when he chose to come back.

I have a hard time imagining either of their "stocks" will rise next year. Sash has two crazy good years to start out his career and its hard to replicate his INT numbers(which he didnt this year) so he is not gonna go any higher if he waits.

McNutt could but as a WR he is depending on a 1st year QB(2 starts I know but still green) so its iffy he gets better numbers.

I want them to stay but it makes sense to go.

Sash's INT numbers are not going to greatly impact where he gets drafted...they have helped him garner attention, and that attention will cause a greater analysis of his film so they can see how he is doing it. His ability to cover and impact run support is going to tell the tale on how high he gets drafted, not his INT totals...a lot of those have been Johnny On the Spot...then again, an NFL scout will be able to tell if he smells the areas to be in, how disciplined he plays his area in zone coverage, etc.

I suspect Sash would have 'more to lose' by coming back. I dont think McNutt has anything to lose in coming back, save an injury...but he is not going to jump off the page at scouts as a must get in the first three rounds...especially given all of the WR in the draft this year.

Clayborn was probly a late first round pick last year. Some mock drafts still have him in Top 10 this year, and Kiper has him at 19 on his big board. His 'stock' is higher than it was one year ago when he chose to come back.

Yeah, but staying around crushed Bradford's stock last year.... oh, wait.

They have to take a look at the pros if the NFL doesn't have a work stoppage next year. Sash seems to be in a similar position that Dallas Clark was after his junior year. I don't know what more Sash has to accomplish on the college level, and Marvin McNutt just keeps getting better.

I'd be surprised of either McNutt or Sash go in the first 3 rounds. Right now I think McNutt has a bigger upside and could creep into the first 3 rounds, but I don't think Sash has the speed the NFL might look for. I'll be shocked if they aren't wearing the black and gold next year.

If McNutt spends his senior year improving his explosiveness (vertical leap and 40 yard time), his route running, as well as his blocking, you could be talking about jumping two rounds and millions of dollars in terms of his draft potential. I think he has a lot to gain by coming back.

Sash I could see going either way. I'd guess he's probably going to be a 4-6 round draft pick either way. Not really a compelling reason to go pro, but I wouldn't blame him if he did. Be nice to have that degree if you somehow go undrafted, though.

I can't remember the date (usually end of January I think) but players have until then to decide and if they decide to declare themselves eligible they are no longer eligible to play college football. If you remember a few years a go when Clarrett (OSU) and Mike Williams(USC) tried to enter the NFL draft after their freshman seasons (against NFL rules which were upheld by the courts) they were still not allowed to play in college even though they couldn't be drafted. Also, I'm pretty sure the advisory board gives them a range of where they can expect to be drafted (top 10, first round, 2-3 round, 4-6 round, 7-undrafted)

They have to take a look at the pros if the NFL doesn't have a work stoppage next year. Sash seems to be in a similar position that Dallas Clark was after his junior year. I don't know what more Sash has to accomplish on the college level, and Marvin McNutt just keeps getting better.

Sash isn't quite in the same situation. Clark was a 1st rounder so he had a lot to lose coming back. Sash isn't at that level and won't be regardless of what he does.

Sash is not ready for the NFL. McNutt....I think he would do well but could probably improve his stock by waiting a year.

If these guys jump ship, we can kiss next season goodby.

You guys that are critical of Sash make me smile. He does miss some tackles, but he is there to miss every tackle. It is so rare to see him out of position, that I only have 3 notes on it this season. Sash is a physical player, reads the play very well and has the speed to play the position well in the NFL. This is not a strong safety class, and he would be among the top 4 drafted at the position. That translates to roughly 2nd to 3rd round this season, which is where most top safeties are drafted.
McNutt will probably throw up better numbers in the combine than many here expect. But I agree that he should come back just to miss this class of receivers. There are too many guys with more film at his size. But he has pretty excellent acceleration, and runs routes well. He definitely has some things to clean up, but I expect him to approach a few single season records next season if he can stay injury free (Vandenberg needs to be injury free also) and tighten up his hands.

IMNSHO, every player on the NFL radar should submit paperwork to find out what their draft status is. Due diligence on your own part. The NFL board gives them an idea of the round they may be selected in, and it may result in some pointers on what to improve on in the next year.

And if every player did this every year, then the fanbase wouldn't get worried when a player does file paperwork.

My thoughts on Sash & McNutt looking at NFL options: McNutt, Sash Flirt with NFL | Hawkeye Nation

This is not uncommon for players to file paperwork. If either player leaves there is a hole to fill and McNutt's will be greater to fill because of the depth at WR for Iowa. The good news is Vandenberg will be a much better QB than Stanzi, immediately and Iowa's O-Line will be very good. Marcus Coker is going to be a gamebreaker, it will be fun watching him get a ton of carries against Missouri. Even if Robinson is back for Iowa, Coker gives them a homerun threat. The WR's will benefit from having a very good running game. Be shocked if Sash leaves, he is a good college player, but it will difficult to replicate in the NFL, is he as good as Considine? If he is then he will get drafted middle round.
McNutt has been Iowa's best reciever this season, he does so many good things without being spectacular, but he puts up good numbers. McNutt would be better served coming back to work on his growth as being a reciever.

Latest posts